Favorite SW and Ordnance in ASL,and why?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How about a NahverteidigungSWaffe?

I know, I know, its not ordnance, but neither are MG/AA Guns that fire as IFE. The close-defence weapon arguably has more in common with inherent SW than with any other type of weapon, as it's always subject to availability at a particular point in time. Nevertheless...
  1. Smoke on anywhere from a usage DR of 6 to 8; and
  2. a 16-flat IFT attack in CC on a usage DR of 7 to 9 (A11.622).
Infantry gotta respect the sN9 that comes standard with PzKpw IVJ, PzKpfw VIB, StuG IIIG (L), StuH 42 (L), Sturmtiger, JgdPz IV/70, JgdPzV, and JgdPz VI.
The most powerful aspect of the sN is the usually high usage number that will allow you to place dispersed smoke with a high probability during the MPh.

As for the 16 flat IFT attack:
You can only make that attack if the AFV has been previously attacked in CC. Which means, if enemy infantry opts to forego its CC attack vs. the sN-equipped vehicle (which goes first because CC vs. AFV is sequential), there will not be an sN attack. As the infantry will 'go first', it can control if a sN is going to happen or not. Forfeiting its CC attack will mostly be the best option for the enemy infantry, especially because most AFV equipped with sN have rather poor MG-armament, due to which the enemy infantry is quite likely to survive CC and will afterwards bind the vehicle and ist most often powerful MA by target selection limits.

von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The most powerful aspect of the sN is the usually high usage number...
...which is partly offset by the requirement to be BU.

...allow you to place dispersed smoke with a high probability during the MPh.
Yep, and once per Player Turn (during the MPh), provided the AFV is BU.

As for the 16 flat IFT attack:
You can only make that attack if the AFV has been previously attacked in CC. Which means, if enemy infantry opts to forego its CC attack vs. the sN-equipped vehicle (which goes first because CC vs. AFV is sequential), there will not be an sN attack. As the infantry will 'go first', it can control if a sN is going to happen or not. Forfeiting its CC attack will mostly be the best option for the enemy infantry, especially because most AFV equipped with sN have rather poor MG-armament, due to which the enemy infantry is quite likely to survive CC and will afterwards bind the vehicle and ist most often powerful MA by target selection limits.

von Marwitz
Which effectively increases the survivability of the AFV (especially Pz IVJ), as Allied Infantry rarely have access to "ATMM."

Footnote 16 in Chapter A notwithstanding, I think that it was a mistake to prohibit an AFV from using its Nahverteidigungswaffe following a CC Reaction Fire attack (D7.213).

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am rather partial to the German Heavy MG, and the PAK 43(Barn Door) ATG. But I do like the PF for the great equalizing factor for the Poor Bloody Infantryman