Favorite Lone Canuck (mini) CGs / Tactical Missions(?)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Chatting with an ASL'r on the ride home and I mentioned that I have been playing too many CGs.

He then mentioned Hell's Highway and Ozerekay Breakout as being great mini-CGs. I honestly don't play enough LC stuff.

What's your favorite Lone Canuck CGs and why?

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really liked _Across the Moro_, in part because I had just read _Ortona_.

Might want to house rule the handling of blazes, which has also been suggested for _Ozerekya Breakout_. I recall that there is a thread or two here on Gamesquad about proposed fixes.

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
PHD. I just <3 bocage.
2nd for this. The bocage is not that difficult and it is a great little CG.
3rd for this, and not solely to bocage being my favorite fighting environment. When it came out (LCP's first TM), it was a relatively new template. The "small, manageable" CG vs the "long and drawn out monster" CGs of Stalingrad/ Tarawa. Or, the 'weekend CG' vs the 'multi-month CG' if you will. Sure, another company had made a variety of these, but few enjoyed them or took them seriously due to lack of play-testing, proofing, etc. There was a rare one as well from other sources, the 'Harz Attack' mini-CG from Steve Swann e.g. Not to say that George's earliest TMs did not have some proofing/rules ambiguities, but it slowly became apparent with each successive one that he was trying to iron out a semi-permanent CG framework to use in later works. So, beyond the obvious fun factor of the PHD map/forces, I would think that I am not the only one that holds PHD more dearly due to the paradigm shift it invoked. I find it most surprising that no one else has followed this template considering its widespread acceptance and cheer. "Hatten In Flames" seems to be in the same vein, and widely applauded for all the same reasons, but somehow I feel MMP isn't responding to a successful TPP template as much as it simply proofed/PT'd/published one person's (Andy Rogers) particular vision, which happened to be limited in size & scope compared to other HASLs.

I have played the following:
PHD x 2 (once solo, once contested)
OzB x 2 (once solo, once contested)
CM x 1 (once solo)

Each unique in its own way, I can honestly say that I enjoyed them all equally; giving only a slight edge to PHD for the reasons outlined above, and due to my cherished opponent at the time. I have a few things on the burner, but plan to get 'Drive For St. Lo' on the table before the New Year.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hands down...Across the Moro. Currently playing this one and have found it to be the most fun of all (I have not played Purple Heart Draw or Bloody Buron).

What I like about Across the Moro...the force pools seem to be very evenly matched for both of us, the terrain is challenging but not overwhelming, and we can see a high reply value to it. We are still playing this one, just wrapping up the third CG date...has been a pretty good fight and quite interesting. I was a bit standoffish to this one before playing it, but after reading Withbottles' recommendation, I decided to try it out...was really taken by it after the first couple of turns...quite interesting decisions for both sides (both tactical and strategic). If we were not looking at Hatten next, I would like to flip this one around and play it again...will definitely play this one again.

Loved the map and the topic of Hell's Highway...felt that the Germans can end up with *WAY* too many halftracks (251-1's) over the course of the CG...the excessive number of 251-1's really soured this one for me. (I recommend a house rule that recalls the 251-1 HT's once they unload their passengers.) Unique ASL event of coordinating mobile AA cover for the advancing panzer columns...the German *must* move and the American planes *will* be there, no way around it...that was an experience unto itself!!!

Played Ozerekya Breakout twice...like the map a lot as well...found the same problem regarding abundance of MG's over the course of the CG, however we found the number of .50 HMG's (in particular) that the Russians can get to be excessive. Have not had any of the issues with flames/blazes...perhaps I have just been lucky and not had any occur from the bombardments.

I just ordered Drive on St. Lo...will take that for a spin at some point.

Semper Fi!
Scott

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PHD has well-earned its spot as an HASL "classic" to be in one's collection as much as RB, Scotland the Brave, VotG, or Peg Bridge. IT is an epitome of what is capable when a designer sits down with an entire section of the rules and an entire battlefield area that those rules are meant to portray - and focuses on playability, replayability without giving up historical accuracy ( the mark of any ASL "classic").

It gets my vote as "best of" from LCP as well. There are a number of "runner-ups" in LCP's catalog, but nothing to top that magnum opus of PHD.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Please help me out as I don't have a PhD for ASL abbreviations:

What does PHD stand for, please?

von Marwitz