Favorite "Bad" Movie?

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My favourite bad film is Repo Man. Great script, killer punk soundtrack, a budget made of beer bottles and couch change.
Harry Dean Stanton as the Repo mentor is worth the price of rental alone.

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
I concur! I practically forgot about this gem of a movie! Okay. "You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president." How can one not like that movie.
hahha.. you rock.. you just reminded me of my ultimate favorite 'bad' movie..

name that movie..

The White House wants to know is everything ok with the alien space craft from Planet 10 or should we just go ahead and destroy Russia?

Tell him yes on one and no on two.

Which one was yes, go ahead and destroy Russia... or number 2?

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
you know..took me a bit to wrap my head around the notion of a favorite 'bad' movie..since no one in their right minds (hopefully haha) is going to name Ishtar or 1941 then it hit me.. we are talking cult movies here.

here's another favorite.. haven't seen it in years.. but man alive did this movie leave me in stitches... and this scene in particular has always stuck in my mind.. the absurdity of it.. is priceless..

[video=youtube;dT0J0rcJTLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0J0rcJTLo[/video]

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, but must have missed your credentials to judge. Unless you are one of those self-appointed internet types. If so, you and Dorosh should get along just fine. ;)
Credentials? Do I have to have credentials to have a strong opinion about someone else's opinion? And really, who's doing the judging here, LOL. So... How about experience, then? Well... I've been a film fanatic for years. I own nearly 2000 of them from all over the world and all over the history of film (well, probably starting around the late 1910's). I've been to film school (not that that necessarily means anything) and participated at film shoots. I know a good amount about the ideas behind film and methods used, both technically and in an artists capacity. I also know that not understanding a film does NOT mean it's a bad film. As an example, here in America we have very plot-driven films (termed "horizontal" films) that have an obvious story, etc. Some cultures have more ambiance driven films (called "vertical" films) that rely on visuals and sounds more than plot - some won't understand this, but that doesn't make it bad.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (including me, in the face of the Great Dave), and my opinion is that your comments were ludicrous and you don't know what you're talking about (and apparently, Jazz has pretty much proven, in a softer-spoken manner, that you don't know what you're talking about in this very thread). And I indirectly called you on it. I also think pretty much any professional critic would laugh at what's been said in this thread - whether they *liked* the film or not (because that has zero to do with whether or not a film is bad). So don't get your panties in a bunch - someone doesn't agree with you!

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Credentials? Do I have to have credentials to have a strong opinion about someone else's opinion? And really, who's doing the judging here, LOL. So... How about experience, then? Well... I've been a film fanatic for years. I own nearly 2000 of them from all over the world and all over the history of film (well, probably starting around the late 1910's). I've been to film school (not that that necessarily means anything) and participated at film shoots. I know a good amount about the ideas behind film and methods used, both technically and in an artists capacity. I also know that not understanding a film does NOT mean it's a bad film. As an example, here in America we have very plot-driven films (termed "horizontal" films) that have an obvious story, etc. Some cultures have more ambiance driven films (called "vertical" films) that rely on visuals and sounds more than plot - some won't understand this, but that doesn't make it bad.
Well nothing like putting a high fast one right over the plate for someone! :sneak:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (including me, in the face of the Great Dave), and my opinion is that your comments were ludicrous and you don't know what you're talking about (and apparently, Jazz has pretty much proven, in a softer-spoken manner, that you don't know what you're talking about in this very thread). And I indirectly called you on it. I also think pretty much any professional critic would laugh at what's been said in this thread - whether they *liked* the film or not (because that has zero to do with whether or not a film is bad). So don't get your panties in a bunch - someone doesn't agree with you!
Frankly, have no idea what you are talking about. Who said someone had to agree with me or if I had a problem if someone did not. Just pointed out that you were being a prick. We are talking about opinions on what one person or another may think what a bad movie is or is not for god's sake. Pretty mindless topic.

BTW - I know that black & white is not a genre of movie. Just couldn't think of a better way to classify the movies when I was typing the post.

Last edited:

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Frankly, have no idea what you are talking about. Who said someone had to agree with me or if I had a problem if someone did not. Just pointed out that you were being a prick.
But, am I a prick for my delivery, or because my opinion of your film knowledge is negative and I voiced it? ;)

BTW - I know that black & white is not a genre of movie. Just couldn't think of a better way to classify the movies when I was typing the post.
I didn't even realize it was you that had said that until after my last post. You could have classified the films in the same genre as you did the others - for example, Paths of Glory could have probably gone in the war section. But, that really had nothing to do with my posts in here.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hahha.. you rock.. you just reminded me of my ultimate favorite 'bad' movie..

name that movie..

The White House wants to know is everything ok with the alien space craft from Planet 10 or should we just go ahead and destroy Russia?

Tell him yes on one and no on two.

Which one was yes, go ahead and destroy Russia... or number 2?
Lol thanks :cool: That movie and Evil Dead II have some of the best one liners ever!

And I recognize those lines but don't remember the movie :crosseye:

And found a video from the kung fu movie I mentioned earlier. It's called Kung Fu Rascals
[video=youtube;8bSnhZonHUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSnhZonHUE&feature=PlayList&p=0FD2F4DBEA99C525&playnext_from=PL&index=14&playnext=1[/video]

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't even realize it was you that had said that until after my last post. You could have classified the films in the same genre as you did the others - for example, Paths of Glory could have probably gone in the war section. But, that really had nothing to do with my posts in here.
Hmmm...you only had multiple posts on it in the other thread, but I guess I will take you at face value. However, from my chair, it sure looked like you were trolling.

BTW - Since you have this vast film knowledge, assuming what you posted is true, then I am up for an education on where I am mistaken in my characterization. You spent the last few posts telling me how wrong I was and it was your patriotic duty to point it out, so teach us all why a simple statement that Raising Arizona was a dumb movie but still one of my favorites is so out of touch with those plugged into the film making business.

Otherwise, I will just go back to my trolling theory. Ball is in your court.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm...you only had multiple posts on it in the other thread, but I guess I will take you at face value. However, from my chair, it sure looked like you were trolling.

BTW - Since you have this vast film knowledge, assuming what you posted is true, then I am up for an education on where I am mistaken in my characterization. You spent the last few posts telling me how wrong I was and it was your patriotic duty to point it out, so teach us all why a simple statement that Raising Arizona was a dumb movie but still one of my favorites is so out of touch with those plugged into the film making business.

Otherwise, I will just go back to my trolling theory. Ball is in your court.
First off, I made a single post about the b&w thing directly and later tacked on a small "jab" (if you will - with a smiley, no less!) at the end of one of my posts. I found your post amusing in the other thread and I wasn't following you around trying to poke at you or anything.

Second, I don't feel that I have to prove anything, necessarily. I admit to being a little bit overly agressive and probably shouldn't have been. Perhaps I was trying to defend the Coens or something (and I'm not the only one that stood up; not even the first in fact). I am passionate about film and I have spent a good amount of time in it, BUT, I don't claim to know everything about it and I wouldn't even claim my knowledge of film to be vast - I could point you in the direction of a forum where there ARE people whose knowledge is what I'd consider vast, though. In the moment I felt your post was more or less insulting (not to me directly) to some highly regarded filmmakers and, as mentioned, probably went a little agressive. I should also point out that the original statement was that Raising Arizona was "really bad", not that it was "dumb" (where a dumb movie may not necessarily be considered bad, perhaps).

To outline, my feeling is that you didn't understand the film and thus you felt it was bad (and I'm not even going to say that I understand what they were doing with it, either - I also haven't seen it in a very long time and didn't spend a ton of time with it when I did see it). However seeing what a filmmaker can DO with a film, with the characters and actors, with his lights and colors, etc can be really illuminating. Ethan and Joel are masters at it. I want to point out (again) that a film isn't automatically bad simply because you don't understand and/or like it (though, in this case you liked it). I'd also like to encourage you to dig deeper into some of these films you watch - you'll likely end up enjoying them much more (Take O' Brother, for example; once you know that it's based on Shakespeare, you may find it very interesting to see what they did with the film and how they did it - it is interesting the time period they chose, etc).

For a reference from my own past, years ago I was not a fan of Kubrick at all. I didn't understand the big deal so I purchased the Kubrick box set that had 7 or 8 of his films. Once I'd finished I started to see why he was such a big deal. To this day, he's still not a favorite director of mine, but I DO like and respect his work (whereas before I didn't). Now, I realize that this is a little tangential to the issue at hand, but perhaps it can serve as an example of what you can do to further understand what you see (assuming you even care to, which is fine if you don't).

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First off, I made a single post about the b&w thing directly and later tacked on a small "jab" (if you will - with a smiley, no less!) at the end of one of my posts. I found your post amusing in the other thread and I wasn't following you around trying to poke at you or anything.

Second, I don't feel that I have to prove anything, necessarily. I admit to being a little bit overly agressive and probably shouldn't have been. Perhaps I was trying to defend the Coens or something (and I'm not the only one that stood up; not even the first in fact). I am passionate about film and I have spent a good amount of time in it, BUT, I don't claim to know everything about it and I wouldn't even claim my knowledge of film to be vast - I could point you in the direction of a forum where there ARE people whose knowledge is what I'd consider vast, though. In the moment I felt your post was more or less insulting (not to me directly) to some highly regarded filmmakers and, as mentioned, probably went a little agressive. I should also point out that the original statement was that Raising Arizona was "really bad", not that it was "dumb" (where a dumb movie may not necessarily be considered bad, perhaps).

To outline, my feeling is that you didn't understand the film and thus you felt it was bad (and I'm not even going to say that I understand what they were doing with it, either - I also haven't seen it in a very long time and didn't spend a ton of time with it when I did see it). However seeing what a filmmaker can DO with a film, with the characters and actors, with his lights and colors, etc can be really illuminating. Ethan and Joel are masters at it. I want to point out (again) that a film isn't automatically bad simply because you don't understand and/or like it (though, in this case you liked it). I'd also like to encourage you to dig deeper into some of these films you watch - you'll likely end up enjoying them much more (Take O' Brother, for example; once you know that it's based on Shakespeare, you may find it very interesting to see what they did with the film and how they did it - it is interesting the time period they chose, etc).

For a reference from my own past, years ago I was not a fan of Kubrick at all. I didn't understand the big deal so I purchased the Kubrick box set that had 7 or 8 of his films. Once I'd finished I started to see why he was such a big deal. To this day, he's still not a favorite director of mine, but I DO like and respect his work (whereas before I didn't). Now, I realize that this is a little tangential to the issue at hand, but perhaps it can serve as an example of what you can do to further understand what you see (assuming you even care to, which is fine if you don't).
Thanks for the perspective. :thumup:

Reaction score
FWIW, I love Raising Arizona. ("Boy, you've got a panty on your head.") Any comedy that is actually funny can't be too bad.

OTOH, I hated No Country for Old Men. An action movie devoid of action has its problems.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys are missing all the "good" bad movies!

1. War of the Gargantuas - The "best" of the japanese monster movies...twin giants, one good that lived in the mountains, was brown, and had nice teeth...the bad one lived in the ocean, was green, and had horrible teeth. Who could forget the scene where the green gargantua trashes Tokyo airport, reaches into the terminal, grabs a lady and eats her...then spits out her clothes! :bite::smoke:

2. Bad Ronald - Early '70's cinema...story of an outcast high school student that accidentally kills a tormentor, his Mom boards up one of the bathrooms in her Victorian house as a secret room for him to live in, he kills the nosy neighbor and burries her under the house...then his mom goes into the hospital and dies and a new family moves into the house not knowing that "bad Ronald" is living in the secret room. :crosseye::nuts:

3. Forbidden Zone - Herve Villachez (aka "Tatoo") feeling up bare breasts with his little sausage fingers, junkies falling into inter-dimensional doorways, homicidal wrestlers, Danny Elfman and the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo performing music and portraying the Devil and his minions, direct by Danny's brother Richard Elfman. This movie is a trip.

Semper Fi!
Scott

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other kung Fu post got me thinking about this one.
"Kung-Pow:Enter the Fist"

[video=youtube;ihuDwkL9_Ng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihuDwkL9_Ng&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well, it seemed cool at the time. Sigh . . .

[video=youtube;Y4st0a0gWp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4st0a0gWp0[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man, we've reached a whole new level of bad now! I hadn't seen that one since I was a kid, but I remember it pretty well (which is actually a little frightening).
:laugh: Donchya just love nostalgia. I loved Japanese monster movies back in the day. Though I can hardly remember any of them, they were quite the imaginative stories :D If I remember correctly, the hair brown monster in that movie creeped me out more than the jolly smiley green giant heh. Movies back in the day were great, even if they were cheesy.