Favorite 80s Metal Band

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here we go, another useless poll brought to you by me Your freaky crazy Texan.

Wanted to see what your favorite 80s metal band was or is. By metal I mean Poison, Scorpions, AC/DC, and bands of that nature.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Dio, Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, Sabbath w/ Dio, AC/Dc of course - probably in that order too...

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I graduated in 1989, my favorites ranged from Guns-N-Roses, Poison, Ratt, Wasp, AC/DC, Faster Pussycat.......etc.

My tastes have changed somewhat...............Ozzy's the man now.

Best heavy band ever.............AC/DC.

Mark
Deo Vindice

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At least we know where we stand in music :thumb: I have that satalite radio in my car and it has a whole channel dedicated towards 80s Metal and HBig Hair bands. I love it :bowdown:

freightshaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
At least we know where we stand in music :thumb: I have that satalite radio in my car and it has a whole channel dedicated towards 80s Metal and HBig Hair bands. I love it :bowdown:
I have Serious Radio in my truck and I don't know what I'd do without it. The Hair Metal channel is nothing but flashbacks.
"We think mullets are cool. I can barely see your neck.":thumb:

Reaction score
AC/DC would be at the top of the list, but I wouldn't really call them a metal band, they're just a great rock and roll band with blues overtones. Another Aussie band that was very loud with even bluesier guitars (they even play some slide guitar) was Rose Tattoo. Many have probably never heard of this band, but the lead singer (if you can call it singing) was Angry Anderson who was in Mad Max Thunderdome.

From Europe I liked Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Scorpions, MSG. I never had much use for the US "hair bands" other than Bon Jovi and they always seemed to have better songs, although Kix was pretty cool too. The really heavy bands I just never enjoyed that much.

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, first off, you'll need to differentiate on bands that had their start in the 80's, or, like many of the ones ya'll have mentioned here, had some major tunage in the 80's, but actually started in the 70's.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
Well, first off, you'll need to differentiate on bands that had their start in the 80's, or, like many of the ones ya'll have mentioned here, had some major tunage in the 80's, but actually started in the 70's.
right on!

I think I spent most time in the 1980's listening to alternative bands (The Smiths, New Order, The Housemartins, Echo and the Bunnymen, et al). Most metal bands I'm familiar with started in the 70's but were rockin' in the 1980's. My picks are Saxon, Judas Priest, The Cult (not B.O.C., i'm talking about the english band...and they are still rockin' today!), Black Sabbath (Oz and Dio incarnations)....I'm sure there are others i can't recall at the moment!

RAWK ON!
:armed:

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
Fair enough - I just meant as to what I was listening to -

Also I agree with the point about AC/DC not necessarily being a metal band...

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by terry patterson
kinda liked accept."balls to the wall man".
forgot about them! I really dig their earlier album "Restless and Wild." If you search you can find a f***in' incredible metal version of Born to Be Wild with Raven and Udo Dirkschneider (Accept singer for those who don't know the name).

yeah, forgot about trio Raven. Canadian? can't recall the crazy drummer who always wore a hockey goalie mask in concert because (so i heard) he was always hitting himself in the head with his drumstick because of his wild playing style! ha ha

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Manowar is an awesome 80s metal band (almost all of their songs have to do with battles, motorcycles, or how much heavy metal rocks). And they liked to come out on stage riding motorcycles and wearing medieval armor...

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
There are too many good ones to count -- Black Sabbath (with any lead singer), Iron Maiden, Overkill, Twisted Sister, Saxon,Metal Church, and Judas Priest. Poison and Quiet Riot always look like they're having heck of a lot of fun -- you also can't forget Stryper with their Christian metal, either. If I had to pick a favorite I'd be stuck with my usual tie -- in this case with Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, who would be my favorite bands of any genre from any time. I don't consider them "metal bands" but good hard rock bands from the 80s would have to include AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Montrose, Billy Squier, and Motorhead.

JS

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My top 3 of the 80's (And this is The Snipe, BB, In others words DAD not the son!)

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Smashed Gladys
in that order, But they tend to change to fit my moods and they are alot of others that run a close third,
AC/DC
Rush
Ratt
Fastway
Slade
Faster Pussycat

Just a side note, has anyonw else noticed a trend lately of going back to good ole hard core Rock and Roll? I am seeing a few new bands out there that I enjoy listening to. The 90's were pretty dry and Bubblegum rock is killin me! Now I see a few bands going back to the old school of things, where the music aint so damn depressing I just wanna jump off a bridge or something! By the way, Im still trying to figure out how these grunge/alterative bands can be so damn depressed when they are only 19 and 20 years old! It's just seems so unreal that they "had it so hard and are so depressed about life" when they never even lived yet!

oh well, at least the good stuff is coming back!! I got 3 new bands I am watching and hope they aint just novelties!
The Darkness (My hat's off to the Brits, for leading they way in this arena! Keep on rockin' England!!!!)
Jet
Velvet Revolver

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
My top 3 of the 80's (And this is The Snipe, BB, In others words DAD not the son!)
Hey BB's Dad!

I knew it had to be you, since BB was still boogyin' to Romper Room, Sesame Street, and Captain Kangaroo (why didn't he ever make major?) while loadin' his drawers back in the 80s!

JS

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know that they were not a heavy metal or hard rock band.......but anyone who is anyone has got to agree that one of the greatest bands of all time.................was Queen.
Freddie Mercury had a voice that could do anything. Kinda like Steven Tyler from Aerosmith.

Mark
Deo Vindice