Far Cry 3

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wasn't interested in this game at all what with the college kids abducted by pirates theme, not to mention my general ill will towards Ubisoft from their silly and ill-considered PC-directed hijinks of the last few years. But I think this game might make me forgive them for all their sins...it is that good! Great, even! I just put in about two hours and...wow! What a game! It reminds me of an odd mix of Deus Ex (for the sneaking elements), Arma 2 (for the open world exploration and combat), and GTA IV (for the general criminal hijinks). Quite the mix!

I knew I was going to like this game when I was driving along a road and some pirates in a jeep were coming the other way. As we passed, I heard one of them swear some obscenity and jam on the breaks. Then they swung their jeep around and starting chasing me! What followed was quite the unexpected car chase - again, something out of GTA. I was swerving and skidding all over the place trying to lose them. :D I finally gave them the quick slip by pulling behind a small hill. I expected the AI to quit, but no - they doubled back to continue to look for me (the AI is some of the best I've seen in a game in a long time)! So I decided to fight. I got out of the jeep and took aim over the hood of my car. As they pulled up, I opened fire, shattering their windshield and causing the pirate jeep to go out of control and slam into a rock outcropping! I think I must have killed the driver because he never left the jeep, but his cohort did. I dropped him next. :cool: When I went over to the body to loot it, I saw that the game actually puts bullet holes where you hit the bad guys! Wasn't expecting that...or the bullet holes in the jeep, either!

I definitely can see myself putting a lot of time into this game. It seems almost as huge as Skyrim (the weapons unlocks and customizations are really, really expansive, not to mention the crafting elements). And the story is living up to its billing: it is a very mature, very dark tale of white slavery, revenge, drugs, and a slow descent into madness (think Heart of Darkness, but on an isolated island instead of Africa). It also has a wicked sense of humor along the lines of Borderlands.

Again, only two hours in (five missions?), but I am (unexpectedly) blown away by this game so far.

[video=youtube_share;pmZQH8Cnc18]http://youtu.be/pmZQH8Cnc18[/video]

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely a game I am going to have to buy sometime this year. I really liked Far Cry 2, not at first mind you because it was so different than the first game, but eventually I fell in love with the new structure of the game.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does it have a lot of sci-fi/magic/zombie/mutant stuff?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well see you guys in-game then :D
You won't regret it. :salute:

BTW: I just posted a blog entry showing off a typical day on Rook Island: http://forums.gamesquad.com/entry.php?1409-Far-Cry-3-My-Excellent-Island-Vacation&bt=3415

Also, a new DLC pack was released today:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102871743837161259616/posts/7dgFaXtyPim

Looking for more insanity? The Deluxe Bundle DLC offers 6 new single-player missions, 4 rare animals, 2 multiplayer weapon unlocks, and all other previously released retail bonuses. Get it today on your Xbox 360, PlayStation® 3, or PC!
It's already a must-have for me!

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info Tort. Had been watching this title for a while and while I am with you 100% on the Ubi comments and there draconian tactics, I too am aniticpating purchasing this game. I refuse to give Ubi full dollar for it though so will be waiting for it to go on sale at some point. Maybe steamy pile Holiday sale at the end of the year. Could be huge savings by then.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ordered it, downloading now.

I just want to blow up some stuff and not let it get all weird and crazy. Sounds like my game.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why TF do I have to create a "Uplay" account?
Yeah, it is annoying to have to launch Steam, to launch UPlay, to launch the game. :rolleyes: I already had a UPlay account because of my time with Ghost Recon Online, but it is still annoying. If I had known I needed UPlay to launch the game, I just would have bought it there rather than on Steam. Silly nonsense.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info Tort. Had been watching this title for a while and while I am with you 100% on the Ubi comments and there draconian tactics, I too am aniticpating purchasing this game. I refuse to give Ubi full dollar for it though so will be waiting for it to go on sale at some point. Maybe steamy pile Holiday sale at the end of the year. Could be huge savings by then.
Understood. Truth be told, I only purchased the game because I was bored out of my mind (I really hate these post-Christmas lulls that have become the new normal in gaming). But now I have to be honest: I am glad I did. This is really an *excellent* title from Ubisoft. It is a shame it didn't get any GotY nominations - something I also ascribe to the general bad will towards Ubi from the gaming crowd. What goes around comes around.

By waiting you will probably get a chance to pick up a GotY edition, too. I suspect Ubi has a bunch of DLC planned for this game - it would seem logical seeing how expansive this title is in a Skyrim fashion.

Speaking of which, if somebody picks up the recent DLC, there is a trick to installing it. Because of the Steam / UPlay duality, what you need to do is 1)buy the DLC on Steam, 2) copy by hand (i.e., no copy and pasting) the CD key for the DLC, 3)launch UPlay, 4)launch Far Cry 3, 5)go into Options 6)choose "Exclusive Content, 7)enter the CD key, and 8)exit and start the game. Sheesh!

But it says a lot that I felt the need to run out and get the DLC ASAP! I didn't even buy any DLC for Skyrim yet.

Redwolf said:
I just want to blow up some stuff and not let it get all weird and crazy. Sounds like my game.
It's gonna get weird once you start experimenting with drugs (I mean in game, of course). :D Some weird stuff happens to you (again, some very mature themes in this game). BEWARE THE MUSHROOMS and the trippy Dr. Earnhardt. :)

BTW: Day 3 blog posted: http://forums.gamesquad.com/entry.php?1410-Far-Cry-3-MEIV-Day-3

I am curious to see how your experience might differ from mine, Redwolf. I can't really get a precise feel for just how much of this game is scripted and how much is sandbox random.

EDIT: Zero Punctuation reviewed Far Cry 3:

[video=youtube_share;kVCLbIbEKtM]http://youtu.be/kVCLbIbEKtM[/video]

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really funny how gamers are all reacting to FC3 the same!

I Hate That I Love 'Far Cry 3'

This is a game I would have every intention of never playing. If you had told me any of this premise ahead of time, I would have gotten on my indie high horse and sneered safely in the arms of my anti-Ebertian, post-gamer ideals.

And while I had every intention of hating Jason Brody, I, too, lost my person to the overwhelming circumstance of his journey.

Put another way, Far Cry 3 is the Toxic Avenger of videogames. It is sophmoric and atrocious, and yet it is the best representation of this young medium for the entirety of 2012, and potentially long-tailing into 2013, perhaps because it also represents us. It is worthy of cult status, if not as a technical achievement then as the only videogame to master such a dark form of empathy. That I could hate something so strongly and be so completely absorbed into it only wets my appetite for the coming realization of videogame’s storytelling potential as the most immersive artform of this century.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hear you in regard to the post holiday dulldrums(sp?) But I have so much to play the titles I have on hand have seen me through for years. I just got a great deal on Trainsim 2013 and have not had the chance to install it after a month. My mom passed the begining of the year and it was astounding the amount of work that needs to be done. Now I am living with my disabled Dad to take care of his needs, a 24/7 job, and have not yet moved my desktop here from my home. So any gaming has been on my notebook which falls just under the minimum req. for some of my newer games. Can't wait to get my deskyop here, big screen and kick a$$ graphics card. Soon hopefully. Been trying to play some Shogun2, Skyrim, evochron and other titles on my notebook so able to get some gaming in.
FC3 has so much potential in regard to DLC it will be interesting to see where it goes over the next 4-6 months. I am excited by your accounts of the game. Oh, and I stopped experimenting with drugs, real life, 30 years ago, but find it interesting how the effects of such experimentation are integrated into games. Its funny to think that I did that and it was nothing like what is portrayed. Makes you wonder how much "experimenting" the devs did.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
******mit I hate console controls in a PC game. Consoles need to die so that real games are left alone.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
******mit I hate console controls in a PC game. Consoles need to die so that real games are left alone.
Yeah, there are a bunch of console conventions - such as checkpointing - that has no place in a game such as this when run on a PC. I also wish I could turn off aspects of the HUD at times (but I was pleased to discover that the crosshairs can be removed). For example, I hate that mini-map which is overly large and strangely pushed out from the bottom left corner of the screen.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dang you guys, you always get me interested in new games. But this one is the Amazon deal of the day for $35.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dang you guys, you always get me interested in new games. But this one is the Amazon deal of the day for $35.
Well I bought it for $50 on Friday or so and I don't really like it.

It's more like RPG with a console interface. Just the minimap right in the way of everything drives me nuatz. Equipping things is also, well, consolish.

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I bought it for $50 on Friday or so and I don't really like it.

It's more like RPG with a console interface. Just the minimap right in the way of everything drives me nuatz. Equipping things is also, well, consolish.
Sorry to hear that. I have 13 hours in and I am still enjoying it. I am particularly enjoying the main campaign which is quite interesting so far. I also think the voice acting is really superb.

To each their own, I suppose. :)