Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmm had not heard about this one, which is odd, as I have a buddy that is like totally into all the comic book based movies.

I enjoyed the first one though, I suspect I will enjoy the second.

Steph

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I saw the trailer for this a few days ago and was confused. Isn't the Silver Surfer supposed to be a good guy, or did i miss something?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I saw the trailer for this a few days ago and was confused. Isn't the Silver Surfer supposed to be a good guy, or did i miss something?
Kind of...

The Silver Surfer was the herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Galactus is considered one of the essential forces of nature, and part of the balance of the cosmos.

Galactus requires unfathomable energies obtainable only from certain types of planets in order to sustain his life. The suitable type of planet need not be one where life is present, but it must have the potential to support life. Galactus usually employs a herald to scout the universe for those suitable types of planets. When the suitable planet is found, Galactus will usually land on the planet's surface and assemble his Elemental Converter, a colossal machine capable of draining all life energy from the planet within minutes. Galactus has been known to devour planets without the aid of his Elemental Converter on occasion, but the device makes the process more efficient. Galactus, seeing himself as a higher being, usually will not avoid a suitable planet simply because it is home to sentient life. Thus, over billions of years he has become one of the most feared beings in the universe, his vast power allowing him to lay waste to innumerable extra-terrestrial civilizations in his quest for sustenance. Nevertheless, he is not an evil being, but rather a force of nature whose feedings are necessary for survival.

Galactus has appointed a number of entities as his heralds, imbuing them with a minuscule portion of his Power Cosmic and sending them to search for edible worlds. Most of his heralds have either rebelled against him, betrayed him or been cast aside for some reason.

The Silver Surfer was a herald of Galactus, and it was Galactus who created him. The job of his heralds is to seek out suitable planets and announce his coming. The Silver Surfer rebelled.

A herald of Galactus is the absolute last being any civilization ever wants to encounter. It means that Galactus is coming, and the end of days draws nigh. I don't know if this movie is set after the Silver Surfer has already rebelled, or when he is still a herald for the devourer of worlds.

Galactus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Silver Surfer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steph

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for that. To be honest i only really followed the X-Men and Spiderman, and then the Fantastic Four occasionally. I vaguely remember seeing the Silver Surfer in one of the cartoons, but i think he was good in that.

Meh, i'm looking forward to it anyway: the first Fantastic Four was actually better than what i expected (because Julian McMahon was in it :p ), so i hope this next film will be as good.

Tim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jessica Alba has been in town, filming her parts of the movie. She was featured in the local paper/media almost everyday. Do you guys think she is really that hot?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Jessica Alba has been in town, filming her parts of the movie. She was featured in the local paper/media almost everyday. Do you guys think she is really that hot?
Well, yeah. :bite:

Watson

Resident of Gondwana
Reaction score
Hollywood is for lesser beings

Surely they aren't going to miss the chance of making this an adaptation of the Galactus Trilogy. How could they not have the Devourer of Worlds uttering "assuage my gnawing hunger"? The ultimate nullifier in the hands of a mere mortal? Classic stuff.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm had not heard about this one, which is odd, as I have a buddy that is like totally into all the comic book based movies.

I enjoyed the first one though, I suspect I will enjoy the second.
Didn't see the first. Is it important to the plot of the this one to see the first movie?