Falling Rubble and Smoke

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
seeing an old war-movie I suddenly noticed that ASL players (and scenario designers) missed in 35+ years to point the fact that falling rubbles rules "forgot" to consider the smoke that should fill the hex (dust, small debris etc...)
It's strange nobody never suggested to place a dispersed Smoke in the hex of the falling rubble, vanishing at the beginning of the following Prep Fire Phase, or something like this.

Possible I noticed this for the first time in 2018? Nobody before me? Really?
(please note I'm NOT suggesting to add this rule)

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yes a collapsing building generates a lot of dust (9/11).
More generally all the smoke/dust deriving from shell impacts, DC explosions, vehicular dust have been avoided in ASL rules with few exceptions (OBA +1 hindrance, desert dust and vehicular desert dust).
Due to counter clutter, it's better like this, ASL is not a computer game where the IA can handle a lot of terrain changes. Of course scenario designers may introduce such consequences through SSRs if they like the idea.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm with you, Enrico. I think somebody mentioned it a while ago as a follow-on to a Bombardment, but certainly it would be worth having in the case of Falling Rubble as well. Heck, Rubble Creation of any kind, I'd think.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice concept and certainly food for thought for an SSR (especially in a CG format), however, I thing Mr T has hit it on the head for the most part. I can attest that a few rounds of even 60mm can create quite a dust cloud (and this NOT in a desert environment) and depending upon EC can last a considerable amount of time. In as much as most fire in ASL represents several incoming rounds, the resultant dust and debris thrown up by the impact of several high caliber rounds would be considerable (say an SU-122 firing ATT for instance). Overall I think the rule would have to be very scenario specific or handled in a general manner (i.e. an LV is present because of the large amount of dust generated by destroyed buildings, etc.) and is probably too involved to be implemented in ASL as it is currently presented. JMHO