Falklands?

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Does anyone know of a Falkland Islands 82 scenario? If not, I may have my first foray into scenario design for ACOW

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
check the forum archives. Somone's asked before, but I can't remember if it was before or after the board switch. IIRC while there were several scenarios in existance, none of them were well regarded.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Chuck
Wasn't this war mostly air and sea action? It would be difficult to model correctly.
Yep. Grant Whitley (you may remember him) was interested in this and we discussed the design problems over at TDG. I think the general idea was to abstract the air and naval components of the war. There was some alternative plan that Grant wanted to try out for the re-invasion.

Grant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Chuck
Wasn't this war mostly air and sea action? It would be difficult to model correctly.
The air and sea battles, while probablly the most well known aspect of the conflict, can be considered ancillary.

The Argentines weren't seriously affected by the British control of the seas, other than the fact that some small units of III Brigada went without some of their equipment. III Brigada troops performly poorly in general however, and it is unlikely that any slight material advantage would have helped. Colonel Martin Balza's 3rd Artillery Bn. represented an exception to this rule, however.

Supplies and reinforcements continued to be flown in. Argentine units in the field did suffer from severe supply shortages, but this was due to inefficient distribution. There were actually quite large stores of supplies in Port Stanley. While more could have potentially been brought in by sea, it likely wouldn't have mattered, given the problems of actually distributing the supplies which the Argentines suffered from.

However, the sinking of Atlantic Conveyor and the subsequent loss of the Chinook transport helicopters(save one) which it carried did seriously impact the British operational plan. This was the genesis of the famous "yomp" across East Falkland, as the two British brigades had essentially no large scale airmobile capability without the Chinooks.

As Ben notes, there's a thread up at TDG which goes into some detail about design issues associated with the Falklands. Feel free to open it back up if you like.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Grant

However, the sinking of Atlantic Conveyor and the subsequent loss of the Chinook transport helicopters(save one) which it carried did seriously impact the British operational plan. This was the genesis of the famous "yomp" across East Falkland, as the two British brigades had essentially no large scale airmobile capability without the Chinooks.
Speaking of which, the one one Chinook which did survive the sinking of the Atlantic Conveyor actually set a "world record". It actually transported 96 troops to the front lines before Port Stanley if I'm not mistaken.

Now I've worked on the Chinook, and putting 96 people even without equip. is a tight fit. I guess I can put it this way. The official max. that a C130 Hercules can carry is I believe 92 paratroopers. A Chinook has about 2/3 of the interior space as a Herc. Now that is tight!!!
:hail: :confused: :confused: :hail:

AndyEats

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
There were at least 2 Falklands scenarios for TOAW Vol2, which should work with COW.

They are : Defence Of The Malvinas - Jose J Valdes
Falklands 82 - Stephen Schaffter

Both are pretty much the same with some slightly different TOE's and a few different events, but both are very enjoyable.

If you cannot find them anywhere else, they are at

www.geocities.com/taow_vol2/

(note the deliberate spelling mistake!!)