Failed FL residual

buser333

Reaction score
A 4 FP squad takes a long range shot and attempts to lay a fire lane with an LMG. They cower so therefore no FL. The residual for their inherent is 0 FP. Would this be boosted to 1 FP since the FL was not laid? Or is that extra residual lost in the failed FL attempt?

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would think that the normal residual FP is NOT placed since the FL is not placed due to the cower, but rereading A9.22 I dont see anything specifically referenced about this. I would interpret the declaration of a FL as precluding the chance to place normal residual, and when the FL fails, you no longer have the option to place the residual.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would think that the normal residual FP is NOT placed since the FL is not placed due to the cower, but rereading A9.22 I dont see anything specifically referenced about this. I would interpret the declaration of a FL as precluding the chance to place normal residual, and when the FL fails, you no longer have the option to place the residual.
The man me does not read all Q&A

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If the unit cowers and no Fire Lane is placed, you calculate to Residual FP normally, including any that might come from the MG.

Q&A:
A7.9, A8.2, & A9.22
A squad with 4 FP and a 2 FP LMG fire through an orchard hex and declare the intention to lay a fire lane. If the attack does not
cower, the fire lane is placed and 1 RFP is also placed, but what happens if the unit cowers? Certainly no fire lane, but is 1 RFP
placed (based on the now 4 FP attack) or 0 RFP placed due to only the squad applying for residual since the machine gun tried to
lay a fire lane.
A. 1 RFP.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If the unit cowers and no Fire Lane is placed, you calculate to Residual FP normally, including any that might come from the MG.

Q&A:
A7.9, A8.2, & A9.22
A squad with 4 FP and a 2 FP LMG fire through an orchard hex and declare the intention to lay a fire lane. If the attack does not
cower, the fire lane is placed and 1 RFP is also placed, but what happens if the unit cowers? Certainly no fire lane, but is 1 RFP
placed (based on the now 4 FP attack) or 0 RFP placed due to only the squad applying for residual since the machine gun tried to
lay a fire lane.
A. 1 RFP.
Wow, I never would have played it this way.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New for me, too.

von Marwitz
I would doubt that you would have gotten it wrong. A FP attack (the Sqd alone) would normally leave a 2 RFP if it cowered it would become a 2 FP attack leaving a 1 RFP. If the Sqd & LMG fired together with no FL the FP would be 6 or 7 leaving a 2 RFP normally or a 1 RFP if it cowered. Therefore I don't see why laying a FL would materially affect the RFP left in the target hex other than for cowering and that would be to a 1 RFP in this case either way.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Right.

But if it were a 548 at normal range + German HMG it would make a difference if I understood correctly.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Y
Right.

But if it were a 548 at normal range + German HMG it would make a difference if I understood correctly.

von Marwitz
Yes, I was just responding to Jeff's OP where the Sqd has 4 FP and the MG is a LMG. In the case you mention here the FG cowers (FL being lain or not, it makes no difference), 12 to 8, with a final RFP of 4 [EXC: If the shot encountered a hindrance which would reduce it another column(s)] in the target location and no FL as I see it.
I guess the Q&A just reinforces the fact that no matter what column you fire at, your RFP can never be dropped below 1 (A7.9 The penalty for rolling Doubles without leadership direction is that the attack is resolved on the next lower column of the IFT.) perhaps erroneously implied by some that one can cower off the table [EXC: If you attack on the lowest column, in which case the RFP is reduced to no effect at all]. There is no "0" FP column on the IFT to drop to and you can't cower off the IFT Table as I see it now. Hindrances also seemingly do not reduce the RFP off the IFT Table either (A8.26 The amount of Residual FP left by any attack is reduced by one IFT column for each positive DRM caused solely by conditions outside (including CX, BU, Stun, leadership modifier, or hexside/bridge TEM of the target Location which modified (or could have modified; B9.31) the To-Hit/IFT DR...) as it implies one must at least remain on the IFT table in most instances. If this is incorrect, the Q&A is also wrong and I must admit, it's p-poorly written Q&A in the first place-it doesn't seem to keep on track.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Normally when a Fire Lane is placed the firepower of the of the MG is not included when calculating the amount of "normal" Residual FP placed.

The Q&A says that if the the Fire Lane is not placed (due to cowering) the MG's firepower is now included in the calculation of how much "normal" Residual FP placed.