Factory BP LOS & LOF hindrance.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

See attached image. An interesting LOS/LOF problem was presented to me recently and I'm not quite sure I have the correct response to my opponent (the German player). It is his MPh and the 447 is in BP of S38, I have a 458/LMG in S39. I believe I have a LOS to the the 447 as I don't believe the the building in the adjacent hex blocks LOS to a unit moving within that hex as A6.2 nor B23.741 really don't address such a condition, but I'm not quite certain.

Now IF the LOS is valid and the 458/LMG fires (PBF), from what I understand the debris would not count as a hindrance as it is not in a hex between the firer and the target hex nor is it considered as a TEM because the target is outside of the building (O1.1 & O5.41). I would certainly grant the moving unit the building TEM (along with FFNAM) as fire is directed through its depiction. And finally, since debris should not be calculated as a hindrance, I don't believe RFP should be reduced because of it.

I may be just having an old geezer's brain fart here, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated (to my favor or not).:unsure:o_O

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I understand you correctly you say S39 has LOS to a unit bypassing along the S38/S37 or T37/38 and hexside. I don't think that's a LOS... isn't there a building in the way? I seem to remember there's some rule about not being able to see across an obstacle but i can't locate it (late on a Friday nite.... might locate it tomorrow.)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think the last sentene of A6.2 works both ways:
"The terrain in a firer’s hex never blocks LOS traced from its hex center dot, although it may block LOS traced from a vertex of its hex across the interior of its own hex."

Otherwise, a building/woods would never block LOS to a bypassing unit, regardless of whether the firing units is adjacent or not.

Think the A4.34 EX is pretty clear on this:
"If it declares D4-E4, D4-E5, however, it is out of LOS from C7 at the D4-D3-E4 vertex because that vertex cannot be seen through the building in D4. "