Factories and Strafing... Red October

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

In this factory taken for Red October I would like to know what "strafing runs" are possible (possible refers to "combat effect")

Lets say to start: Q30 to T31. front- roof-roof-roof ( presuming in all cases a successful TC)
Q32 to T30 front-debris- roof - roof
Lastly if R32 and R30 were debris and a run was started at R32 ( lets say was possible) would R31 and R29 be blind.

Would a roof adj to a debris be viewable from the strafing aircraft, if so what TEM?

These factories were not stone and the roofs were what is called corrugated iron ( or similar) MMG bullets and bombs would have no trouble penetrating.

Just working out what the options are...

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Would not E7.25 Aerial LOS apply in your examples where the target hex type changes from Factory Roof to debris on the factory floor? If the factory is, for example, a 2 1/2 level obstacle, the height should cast a 2 hex blind spot and an IFT attack not be able to effect the debris below (not in Aerial LOS).

Edit: If the height does indeed create blind hexes then see also last sentence of E7.4; "…An aircraft cannot attack a Location to which it has no LOS and cannot Interdict."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Kind of what I expected, (roof)tops are a special (anti) -LOS platform. I presume interdict means " see" in this case.

More realistically perhaps MMG's could fire "through" factory roofs at 1/2 FP. This would in most cases be
diversionary but add a nice touch.