Broken Ground Design Thread

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I prefer a simple counter for every scenario: black hat on one side, white hat on the other side."--footsteps
Eh, give me more eye candy! There are a few scenario turn counter combos not available for the obscure battles; German vs Yugoslavian; Italian vs Yugoslavian leap to mind.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Black & White is so Seventies (SPI) and boring...
I don't know.

I believe that some of the new colored counters of TPPs are too colorful and that the lines especially of the vehicles are hard to discern bytimes. On top of that, camo patterns (even of a single TPP) vary and might not fit to the given situation. Desert camo in a winter scenario? Winter camo in summery woodland? Hm...

I am not saying that BG counters are not well done. The opposite is the case and BG even closes gaps in counters on offer due to being OoP etc. BG was the first to take a systematic approach for offering counters. Order by nationality and not by HASL / particular product. This is BG's main innnovation that deserves full credit.

Yet, personally, I still prefer the "classic" AH/MMP black & white counter style above all others for the abovementioned reasons.

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
For the turn record counter I perfer it to show the "ASL" country 'style' nationality flag. It just makes for quicker and in my opinion a better read on the game table who's turn it is, like a gentle reminder. You don't have to think about it if you see the US star and your playing the Japanese to know it's 'his' turn. With a B/W Attacker/Defender counter that is really rather boring and makes you think who's turn is it since generally speaking both players are essentially attacking and defending (Que in that line from that old 70's movie about the hypothetical Sgt. Steiner, the General calls the Colonel and the Colonel say's "I am attacking, no I am defending, no they are attacking, we are counter attacking in his mixed up, panicked English German accent). ?

I am just saying...

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I suppose I could do a half-sheet of all the possible combinations of Attacker/Defender. :eek:

On second thought.......
Hi Alan,

There is already an extensive line of multinational turn counters from BFP. I enjoy the countersets from you that provide something that isn't out there like your berserkers and Partisans. I know that you are working on getting out your PTO line, but after that I would love to see you produce sets for Republican and Nationalist Spanish for SCW scenarios. The only ones out there are pretty poor CH ones from Guerra Civil. Have you considered those?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Alan,

There is already an extensive line of multinational turn counters from BFP. I enjoy the countersets from you that provide something that isn't out there like your berserkers and Partisans. I know that you are working on getting out your PTO line, but after that I would love to see you produce sets for Republican and Nationalist Spanish for SCW scenarios. The only ones out there are pretty poor CH ones from Guerra Civil. Have you considered those?
Have you been peaking in my diary?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP produced turn counters? I know I read that somewhere before.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Alan,

What are the round looking counters?
These are from an old Russian front game. I saved the counters because they stand out and do not take up too much space. Really good for VLs and location control.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope to be bringing these (in playtest form) with me to the ASL Chengdu Tourney along with my BG Japanese and GMD counters. Can't think of a better ASL venue for these to make their debut.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been working up the vehicle notes for the extras in Alan's set. I should have started with the countries that have the least...