Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
About digging foxholes during a scenario, I realize that I nearly never do it.
Mostly because the timer set by the designers doesn't allow to divert time to do it - in addition to the facts that foxholes are often present in the setup OB and that they most often don't offer a real tactical advantage in the situations involved (except to pave rout paths or to mitigate Air Bursts).
This reduces the importance of the diggong entrenchment rule.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes I dig foxholes behind certain hedges and walls. You can skulk back and forth or you can hunker down and most likely get to shoot first at point blank. Baz, Psk, PF, Demos, maybe FTs, Mols, giant firegroups, (maybe some concealed stealthy squad that can declare HtH @-1) might be rather nasty hiding back there. This is a especially nice tactic when you face overwhelming firepower. The focus is put to the hedge/wall line where firegroups are more important than brute firepower. Each extra squad that is added to the single hexes, stacking, that approach the wall will add a commensurate amount to the defenders overall effective firepower.

Example: Hex (67) M5 in HazMo 12 Foreign Legions. I like to place a Moroccan squad (Look out Gurkhas !) at start to dig a foxhole there, then it becomes a reserve.

There has been a few scenarios where it was nice to put the company lt. mortar in a foxhole, looking at as many woods hexes as possible if not on a choice 1st/2nd level hill hex then next to ‘the church steeple’ because they can’t shoot from buildings.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only time I can remember digging foxholes is during CGs and then only when foxholes are a considered strategic locations. Usually no extra units in a non-CG scenario to do it.