Everything I know about (.........) l learned from ASL

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It can be just about anything, doesn't have to be game related, just something that playing ASL has given you a better understanding of.

For me there are two, the Eastern Front and Cutthroat Kitchen.

Growing up I was not very familiar with the war on the Eastern Front. The only thing I really remember was the references to it on the tv show Hogan's Heroes. German soldiers who messed up would be threatened with losing their cushy job at the POW camp and be sent to the Eastern Front. This seemed to them to be tantamount to a death sentence. It wasn't until I started playing Squad Leader that I took an interest in that theater and understood why those German soldiers felt such dread at the prospect of being transferred there.

Cutthroat Kitchen is a culinary competition and combines two of my favorite activities, gaming and cooking. Four chefs start out with $25,000 and through three rounds are assigned dishes to cook with one chef being eliminated each round and losing their money. The gaming aspect comes into play as the chefs are given the opportunity to purchase sabotages in an auction with which to cause their opponents discomfort. The winner leaves with the money they have left.

Captain Bacchus and I will sit watching and bitching at the competitors who may be good chefs but crappy gamers. Their money I view as their units and cringe as they waste it or don't use it when they should. How the sabotaged chefs try to overcome the difficulties and disadvantages heaped upon them is entertaining and enlightening. Perhaps the biggest lesson is competitors leaving after being eliminated and stating they never want to see the object that caused their downfall be it frog legs, a rake, warped pan or whatever. I view this as a defeatist attitude. Others will say they are going home and master that sabotage that took them out no matter how long it takes. This is an attitude I admire and can relate to experiences in ASL. I tried some approach or tactic, it didn't work so kept trying till I got it right.

Is there anything in your experiences that ASL has given you a better understanding of?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
History of WWII and the weapons used :)

Plus the OCD bit with the counter storage.
To alleviate the stress your OCD causes you I suggest you employ the Gwar counter storage system Whacko. It's just the answer for that pesky OCD and will help you become more familiar with your counters.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ€£πŸ€£

Information on Whacko can be found in the thread " Today in ASL History " post number 21.😊

I'd put a link here but I'm OMOOT. πŸ€”

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Women
Everything I learn about women, I learned from ASL.
Oof! My mind reels! πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ Should I feel sorry that you know so little about ASL then? Or have you gained some arcane insight into women that has eluded me after more than 2500 scenarios and 44 years with the same woman? If the latter I congratulate you. Sometimes I think I know less about her than what I remember about the ASLRB, and that ain't much!! πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Lol. Nice post!!🀣🀣🀣

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oof! My mind reels! πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ Should I feel sorry that you know so little about ASL then? Or have you gained some arcane insight into women that has eluded me after more than 2500 scenarios and 44 years with the same woman? If the latter I congratulate you. Sometimes I think I know less about her than what I remember about the ASLRB, and that ain't much!! πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Lol. Nice post!!🀣🀣🀣
LOS, Concealment, FFNAM, FFMO, Hazardous Movement, CX, TI, ROF, TC, MC, Pin ..etc have their "real life" equivalence. :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
LOS, Concealment, FFNAM, FFMO, Hazardous Movement, CX, TI, ROF, TC, MC, Pin ..etc have their "real life" equivalence. :)
πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€— LMFAO I actually have tears from laughing!!
I acknowledge your superior insight and greatly admire your application of ASL to real life!!!! Nicely done Sir!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Women
Everything I learn about women, I learned from ASL.
Much like ASL modules, they end up costing you an arm and a leg one way or another :)

In all seriousness, my wife is a gem among women. She tolerates and encourages my obsession with ASL. I love her to death. -- jim

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Is there anything in your experiences that ASL has given you a better understanding of?
When I did my trades training to become a clerk in the Army, we spent 2 or 3 full days looking up regulations in the Queen's Regulations and Orders, Canadian Forces Administrative Orders, and other reference manuals. We were told it was important for us to be able to efficiently navigate the contents and index, realize that key terms were explained in the glossary, and be able to interpret the language of the various paragraphs and sub-paragraphs, as well as be able to properly identify those passages for others.

Naturally, I was already an expert at all that from 10 years of playing ASL at that point.

I believe QR&O 1.074 was "Concentrate on What These Rules Allow", not what they fail to specifically prohibit....

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Much like ASL modules, they end up costing you an arm and a leg one way or another :)

In all seriousness, my wife is a gem among women. She tolerates and encourages my obsession with ASL. I love her to death. -- jim
They truly are the unsung heroes of gaming.