Event Venues

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bret's thread on looking for a new venue for ASLOk and the airport shuttle costs got me thinking about venues for events. As I have stated many times the most difficult part of hosting an event IMO.

Bret needs a facility with 4000 to 5000 square feet of gaming space, available in October, close to eateries and near a major airport. Throw in needing to be relatively close to where he lives, also Wild Bill, and the choices narrow dramatically.

These were the same issues that confronted Fish in the later years of Oktoberfest. When the Youngstown airport shut down it really threw a wrench into the works. The result was Brookpark and eventually back to Austintown. Neither one ideal for the attendees.

So what do you expect from a venue? If you have hosted an event or are planning on hosting one what issues have you encountered? Were they successfully resolved?

Thanks for any input.

Btw was considering if this thread belongs in the events forum but settled on chit-chat. If the Moderators feel otherwise please feel free to move it.🤗

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My view is probably not representative (and likely should not be taken as such), as I am only willing to travel to tournaments that are within a few hours driving-range:

My objective is to keep the cost of any "overhead" low when attending tournaments.

For that reason, I don't visit tournaments that would require me to fly or to drive long distances.

I expect to spend the day (and much of the night) playing the game, so my focus is on the room where this is happening. It should be well lit, not freezing, without draft, and offer ample (table-)space. It should be usable "open-end" and not close down at some time.

It is best, if sleeping quarters and optimally the opportunity to get something to eat are all in the same building. Everything else costs time better spent on playing.

For the rest, I don't require much. A bunk bed is sufficient, I can live on burgers for a week-end. Nuff said.

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember attending an Origins in the 1980s in Baltimore, the hotel was in one place and the tourneys were held
in the center one (or two) buildings over. Had to traverse via the rooftops to get to the ASL [lost in the first round,
playing "Gavin Take"]. But that wasn't too bad as weather was cooperative for the most part. But got to see Fort
McHenry and the U.S.S. Constellation {on display in the Inner Harbor], after the convention wrapped up.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For our local organizers, finding a hotel with an appropriate sized meeting room(s) at an price within the organizer's budget was difficult. They called dozens and dozens of venues.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
For our local organizers, finding a hotel with an appropriate sized meeting room(s) at an price within the organizer's budget was difficult. They called dozens and dozens of venues.
Yes the convenience of having an event at a hotel is a major factor. Portaging an ASL kit to a convention center is something most players would want to avoid these days. It wasn't that much of a problem back in the '80s but that was wwbitd.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My view is probably not representative (and likely should not be taken as such), as I am only willing to travel to tournaments that are within a few hours driving-range:

My objective is to keep the cost of any "overhead" low when attending tournaments.

For that reason, I don't visit tournaments that would require me to fly or to drive long distances.

I expect to spend the day (and much of the night) playing the game, so my focus is on the room where this is happening. It should be well lit, not freezing, without draft, and offer ample (table-)space. It should be usable "open-end" and not close down at some time.

It is best, if sleeping quarters and optimally the opportunity to get something to eat are all in the same building. Everything else costs time better spent on playing.

For the rest, I don't require much. A bunk bed is sufficient, I can live on burgers for a week-end. Nuff said.

von Marwitz
I totally agree. I would sleep on the floor if I did get a chance to sleep. Usually didn't have that much time to eat either.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I remember attending an Origins in the 1980s in Baltimore, the hotel was in one place and the tourneys were held
in the center one (or two) buildings over. Had to traverse via the rooftops to get to the ASL [lost in the first round,
playing "Gavin Take"]. But that wasn't too bad as weather was cooperative for the most part. But got to see Fort
McHenry and the U.S.S. Constellation {on display in the Inner Harbor], after the convention wrapped up.
I was at Origins in '87. Who knows might have run into Young Noob or even played him.🤗😉

I don't remember the venue but do remember not doing well in any of the events.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
An all in one venue is a must for me. I want to be able to eat and sleep inn the same area. To enjoy a pint while watching others play and to chat until the cows come home (wjich they can now DZStME is out)