Eve Online - Guide to flying a Caracal

donkey

Recruit
Reaction score
Eve Online - Guide to flying a Caracal
The caracal, is a very popular ship within Eve Online and can fil a variety of roles to suit the needs of whoever is flying it. From low-sec piracy, to fleet-work, to level 3 missions, the Caracal can be tailored to fit into these roles.
An example of a popular fitting is shown below, this fitting is designed to quickly and easily do level 2 missions:
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Invulnerability Field II
Photon Scattering Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
10MN Afterburner II
Assault Missile Launcher II
Assault
Missile Launcher II
As you can see, this fitting plays to the Caracals strengths with the use of assault missile launchers and invulerability fields. Using the afterburner, you can keep the rats out of your optimal range while shooting at them with your assault missiles. It is reccomended that you try to “kite” the rats (NPC ships) to keep them at range, rather than trying to orbit them.
For a cruiser sized ship, the Caracal can fit quite an impressive buffer tank which should be used to your advantage while doing pvp. Although, the downside to using the large sheild extenders to give you this buffer tank is that your signature radius will increase, making you easier to hit. Most people, myself included, think that this is a small penalty to deal with for the amount of tank you gain!
Another benefit to the Caracal, is that it is very affordable for even a brand new player as it only costs between 2-4million isk depending on location, and with the fitting shown above it can go through level 2 missions facing very little issues.
The Caracal is one of the most versatile and useful ships within Eve Online, and if flown correctly can defiantly be a force to be reckoned with for players both young and old!

Last edited by a moderator:

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Caracal was my favorite cruiser when I was a younger character. My larger quantity of missile skills over rails probably tilted it in favor of the Moa with it's mixed weapons loadout.

It's my experience in PvE that the speed from the AB helps a lot to offset the sig radius increase from the extenders. Provided you can keep the AB on all the time, which shouldn't be hard to do since the only other thing using cap is the Invuln and Photon fields. They use fairly trivial amounts of cap for a cruiser.