Europe Engulfed?

seanmac31

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey! I wanted to know if anyone was working on a Europe Engulfed module. I'm dying to play over the net, but as a Mac user, Cyberboard is out. I recently got turned on to Vassal and have been having a great experience with it, but I'm hoping EE makes an appearance in the near future.

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Seriously Sean,

If you are interested, I would be happy to run through the module design process on this forum as an exercise for anyone who is interested in getting a module up and running. I'm sure Gary and other module developers would be happy to jump in with suggestions also.

You can save many, many hours of work through careful analysis and design in advance - map and counter sizes, Counter Image source, prototype design, Window/hand design etc. etc., rather than just blasting away and throwing together hundreds of images and a couple of maps!

Looking through my archives, I find I have a Europe Engulfed Game Map (1584x1224 jpg, not great quality) that would do as a tempory map to get things rolling.

Cheers,
Brent.

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
EE would be a good first module since the blocks would be easy to convert to counters. a hot key to replace the current counter with the next one down in size.

The counters in the game have more detail, but there are a lot less of them.

As far as the map goes, the quality of the one that you have is certainly good enough to start with since terrain is not as important as in a tactical level game.

Maybe a team effort to do an EE VASSAL module so that a number of people can contribute and start to develop the skill set?

I know that I have a number of games that I would like to see in VASSAL instead of Cyberboard/ADC/None at all. It would certainly increase my ability to play some of the games on my shelf. OCS cries out for VASSAL due to the air interdiction/interception.

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Countertroll said:
a hot key to replace the current counter with the next one down in size.
I'm lazy and like to do as little work as possible :devil:

I would do it all with layers.

I would either

a) use Game Piece Images to create the basic colored counter with the unit symbol. One GPI for each side for each symbol

or

b) Create a png of each color with no symbols and then create transparent png's of each of the symbol.

Then, I would create Transparent PNG's with the Dot's on them and use the Hot Key to rotate the dots.

That's the entire non-marker counter set done with a handful of images.

I like use Game Piece Images at the start of a project because you can change the size of all the units on the fly.

Ogreking

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just speaking up that it would be terrific to have an EE module if the authors would consent to it. I have the game and have played a few turns by myself, but no one within 200 miles of me is interested in sitting down and taking this monster on. Setting it up and leaving it there is not an option in a house with kids. :(

I'll watch this to see if anyone is interested. I'm not computer literate but would be glad to scan stuff for anyone if necessary. We have an HP all in one here at the house.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think a community effort is a great idea! I know that I'd learn a thing or two from Brent and I could pass on what I already know to others and on down the line.

We could put the mod on vassal or I can host it even. Then, anyone interested in downloading and trying to put it together can - and at the very end we can compare everybody's finished product to see who came up the best ways to handle things.

I'd be happy to touch up that map if someone wants to email it to me.

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I've passed the map I have on to Gary who is going perform some map voodoo and that can be the base.

Definitely lets run this project through the VASSAL website. If someone would like to start up a module page and add all the would-be developers who want to take part, that will get the hosting taken care of.

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll lend a hand, but I may be limited since I do not own the game. Still, there should be some things I can assist with.

Arakis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a thought, one of the existing block game modules could be used as a jumping off point, unless a redesign is needed.
All the issues of block rotation, visibility per side, etc. have been handled before, and as an engineer, we're taught to always try and build from existing building blocks (pun intended).

As an exercise though, it might be better to start from scratch :)

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got a pretty good start on painting the map last night, see SCREENSHOT

Also, until I have that map finished, whoever that gets the start on the mod can use the map that I exported from the cyberboard module as a "placeholder" - I'm using this to trace over so you can even set up your area's, etc based off of it: EE Map

(might need to right click; "save as")

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI: I've added an entry to the VASSAL site for EE - let me know your username on the site there if you would like to be added to the list of contributors.

seanmac31

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool. I'm glad to see people have taken the idea and run with it. I don't know how much help I can be- I don't have a scanner- but I'll see what I can contribute.

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ok,

Time for first Design Decisions - Overall Layout.

There are Charts and turn tracks on the map. What do we do with them?

Charts are a no brainer, we move them to the Charts button (Terrain, Play Sequence, ASW, U-Boat).

What about the two turn tracks? To their own window, or leave them on the map? If we move them to their own window, we get the opportinity to fold up the main turn track.

?

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Someone familiar with the game should know:

On the TRT, are there units or markers placed there other than the "Turn" marker? If not, then I'd suggest using the TurnCounter (dial) built into VASSAL. However, I'm guessing that reinforcements or disbanded or units for some reason or another go on that track (excuse my complete lack of familiarity with the game, though I did get a quick 1 turn lesson in it). If there's a lot of units that go on that track, then I would suggest putting it on it's own board, so that it could be resized, split into rows, easier to use.

If it's just a couple of counters other than the "Turn" marker that goes on it, I would suggest just leaving it at the bottom of the board.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now, what about that "General Information Track". Obviously units/markers/pennies/monopoly pieces (sorry) go on it, so I would suggest moving this to it's own map. One other reason to do so would be so that it is right side up (i.e., rotated 90 degrees clockwise).

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
seanmac31 said:
Cool. I'm glad to see people have taken the idea and run with it. I don't know how much help I can be- I don't have a scanner- but I'll see what I can contribute.
No need for a scanner, I have the map under control. We do need someone to work on counters (I can make a "template" if someone wants) and/or the charts (I like to make them in Excel, then screenshoot them - or, they can be done in very plain HTML). Also, we'll need someone to start to form up the VASSAL module itself. If you're a member at the vassalengine.org site, let me know your username there and I will add you to the list of contributors (this applies to anybody interested).

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Turntracks

If the track is on the main board, I would recommend leaving it there.
Create a 1 cell rectangular zone over the track of the same size, then create the piece marker of the same size, with layers for each "turn", placing it on the cell with an at-start stack with a restricted trait to prevent player movement.

If other pieces are to be placed on this created track designate it the bottom game piece layer for stacking purposes.
Add a GKC in the main bar as the method of activating the layer movement of the piece marker, add a report action that echoes a player has ended their turn, whatever as it advances

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
GJK said:
We do need someone to work on counters (I can make a "template" if someone wants) and/or the charts (I like to make them in Excel, then screenshoot them - or, they can be done in very plain HTML). QUOTE]

I like HTML for charts as they are so much smaller. I use AceHTML to generate tables and add a few background colors and they come up pretty well.

I am happy to do them if someone can send me a half-decent scan of the ASW and U-boat tables.