Europe Engulfed?

Stan Hilinski

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ogreking said:
OK what the heck, I'll work on it... if anyone else EVER wants to take over let me know since this is going to take a while.
I have created around 10 different modules for block games (almost all the Columbia games plus Worthington), and I warn you that they are a little bit more complicated than the standard work. I would take a look at EE myself, but it will be a month before I would get to it (I have another mod to do in the interim), and I would need the rules. I have two recommendations for you before you do anything else.

1. Read the rules and take notes on items that will require attention in the module. In particular, pay attention to things that affect a unit's state. For example, some games have disrupted units, and you need to be able to mark pieces to indicate that. Remember too, if you don't know already, that each block has by default three image states right off the bat. When a block is upright (i.e. facedown in card parlance), your opponent sees a solid color back (image state 1), but you see the block face (image state 2). Then there is when a block is layed on the table faceup for all to see (image state 3). There is a temptation to use the same image for 2 and 3, but this is a huge mistake because a player can't tell the difference between a faceup unit and an upright one that he should only see himself. This leads to players forgetting to hide their units or forgetting to turn them faceup on battleboards. In all the block games I've done, I distinguish faceup from upright by drawing a 3-4 pixel thick border around visible,upright blocks and not having a border at all for faceup ones. I wouldn't be too thrilled, by the way, with the proposed 3D effects I've seen here because it complicates the presentation of the images. Anyhow, read the rules and take notes.

2. Look at example modules for block games already done. If you don't, you WILL omit important things. I looked at modules myself with my first one, and since then I've refined things as I learned what worked and what didn't. It would be foolish not to do that. Try playing around with them (again, any of the Columbia games -- I did all but Pacific Victory and Wizard Kings) to understand how masking works and then edit them to see under the hood. If you have questions as to why things are the way they are, ask.

Stan Hilinski

Ogreking

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After spending the last few weeks looking at this and trying to figure it out I've come to the conclusion that Stan's absolutely right. I'm not a graphic artist by training or profession so this has not been a labor of love for me. I'm still trying, but if ANYONE wants to take a wack at this your not going to hurt my feelings. LOL If your waiting I appreciate your patience, but fair warning.. I had NO IDEA how much went into these and with all my other commitments I spend half my time remembering where I was.

Just wanted to let everyone know I haven't forgotten this.. just feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

jgstevens

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Offer of help

Hidy Ho Cyber Neighbors,

Just entered the Vassal world of wargaming and saw a mention of Europe Engulfed. Can anybody point me to a contact where I may offer my humble help on the project? Thanks folks.

Jim

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Jim!

Welcome to the world of VASSAL, great stuff for sure!

We've uploaded the bits and pieces needed to make the module (or most of it at least I gather) HERE.

Grab the latest build, "EE_v03.mod" which should have the map that I did along with some work by Brent and counter artwork by Countertroll.

I don't have this game, so I don't know what all needs to be done, though I suppose I could grab a copy of the living rules to make a run at it if need be.