Europe Engulfed - VASSAL Problems

Firstborn

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Keith Todd

Reaction score
EE is a block game put out by GMT, not an ATS game. You need only download the .mod file and load it in a regular directory not anykind of ext directory. No extraction is necessary on the mod file.

Most VASSAL mods there is a counter button that when clicked will show you the piece trays.

Keith

Firstborn

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keith Todd said:
EE is a block game put out by GMT, not an ATS game. You need only download the .mod file and load it in a regular directory not anykind of ext directory. No extraction is necessary on the mod file.

Most VASSAL mods there is a counter button that when clicked will show you the piece trays.

Keith
Keith,

I understand that. Who said it was an ATS game?

I own both EE and the ATS collection.

As a side note, I have a software engineering background. There is a real issue with the EE VASSAL mod. I was hoping someone familiar with it could help.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Firstborn said:

I have extraced all of the image files into the core directory, and even created a VATS_EXT folder and copied them in.

Thanks
You said you made a VATS_EXT folder which is only needed to run with the VATS.mod which is the ATS mod.

And if you read the listing it says

"Europe Engulfed (GMT) Collaborative project - work in progress"

Keith

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless I'm mistaken, the EE module isn't completed. It was a "community" project that a number of us started but has yet to be completed. I'm guessing that it was left off at adding the pieces.

Stan Hilinski

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I last looked, the module was nowhere near playable. There was a flurry of activity at one point, but I think interest died down, and the module lays quietly at peace. When I last looked, I saw there was a nice map but only a handful of pieces, and I don't think anything concerning the game rules was integrated.

I have considered picking it up and finishing it myself. I have "vassaled" a bunch of block games (most of Columbia's, all Worthingtons, and Bonaparte at Marengo), so I have a headstart on knowing what to do. Next up I am beginning work on Worthington's Forged in Fire, but after that I have no plans for new mods. If no one has or is working on it, I can probably begin it in a month or so. However, I don't own the game, so I would need the rules, a scan of the labels, and any other artwork not on the map. Without that, I can't do jack.

Stan

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too don't own the game or I'd pick it up and carry on with it. I'd like to see it finished, I spent a good bit of time on that map, Brent spent a lot of time as well on setting up some of the prototypes and Kenn did the work on what counters are there.

I took what information that I got for the map from the Cyberboard module, I don't know what was left off of that version if anything.

I wouldn't mind owning a copy of this game (who wouldn't I suppose!) - if somebody has a players copy that they'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price, I'd be interested in picking it up and I could then continue the module.

Cantata

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, I have recently been tinkering with the EE Vassal module. I finished adding block counters for all Axis, Allied and Neutral countries according to the "strength notes" document found with the other files on Vassal. I'd like to upload this as a contributor, if I could get one of the other contributors to add me to the list. I am interested in continuing development on this module, and I own a copy of the boardgame, so I can scan all the player aids and so forth, along with the game counters and markers. I'd be happy to provide this stuff to anyone interested so this project can move forward.

PM me if you can help, at least enough to add me as a contributor to the project so I can upload what work I've done so far.

Thanks guys!

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have made a wild guess at your VASSAL site id being Cantata and have added you as a contributor. Let me know if you have trouble.

Cheers,
Brent.

bennyb

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what's left to be done? From what I can see:

- Counters, both square and circular. (could just use the countersheet scans from Boardgamegeek, then Photoshop).
- Maybe add a reinforcement pool window and a dead pool.
- Give blocks the Mask trait.

I'd like to skip the fancy frills for now and get it playable; Could one of the existing contributors please add me to the list?

Beautiful job with the module so far by the way, great looking blocks!

drdemonic

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The module appears complete but it will not allow one to choose sides ... all pieces are visible. How can 3 people start a game?

bennyb

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Select all of the pieces on your side then right click to bring up the menu. Select "Mask". Your pieces will now only be visible to you.

Hope that helps.