Europa 1947 - Allied AAR (Public Play Test) [PARTIAL]

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Re: Europa 1947 - Allied AAR (Public Play Test)

(peeked with permission)

Show-off !!!!!!!!!!!

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

The Situation:
USSR: The Soviets are a defeated, but rebuilding army. With, initially, more men and tanks than any other Allied nation, they figure to play a major role in the Liberation of Europe. However, I really have no idea how they will preform against the battle hardened German troops they face.

Commonwealth: The Commonwealth is a force augmented by the troops of over half a dozen nations. They boast experience from North Africa, Burma, and the Pacific. They, however, are running low on men to replace their fighting soldiers, and, therefore, will likely be unable to fight all out for the duration of the liberation of Europe.

USA: The USA boasts an enormous ammount of men and materiel; but the bulk of this strength has yet to see combat, as only a few Corps worth of men saw combat in the Pacific. Headed by the venerable Douglas Macarthur (famous for his Pacific exploits) this force will have to prove its worth on the soon to be bloody fields of Europe.

PHASE I:

The Plan:

Eastern Front: Being unsure of how the Soviets will do with their units at only 40% of their authorized strength, I have yet to set any objectives other thatn, "advance, and see how it goes". However, if things go at all well, then the Soviets will continue to advance in jumps in the North, Moscow, and Central Fronts, while in the south the objective will be to reach Rostov, trapping the Germans in the Caucuses facing the Commonwealth 11th Army Group.

Middle East:
The plan in the Middle East is relatively simple:
a) 8th Army will advance through Turkey, headed for Istanbul.
b) 12th Army will advance as quickly as possible towards the Black Sea coast, near Trazbon in an attempt to cut off the Germans in the Caucuses.
c) 14th Army will hold opposite the German HeersGruppe South troops in the south, playing it by ear as to whether to attempt any kind of advance.

Western Front:
The Western Front will see the bulk of its fighting done by the US. To begin with the 6th Army Group (consisting of the 6th US Army and the 1st FR Army) will land in the south of Spain (Operation "Good Omen"), securing the south of the country and advancing as far north as possible, as quickly as possible. 5-6 weeks later 5th US and 7th US Armies will land in Portugal in support of its expected switch to the Allied cause. These armies will join the 6th and 1st and advance on the Spanish-French border with utmost speed.

Air War:
In the East, air parity with the Axis is expected. In all other theatres, the Western Allies should be able to create a crushing air superiority.
The first step in the strategic war will see the Western Allied SAC destroy damn near every bridge in Western Europe (Operation "Standstill").
The RAF (save its Bomber Command) has been almost entirely relocatted to the Middle East.
The USAAF Fighter Wings will be roughly halved, with half operating over the UK (and Western Europe) and half supporting the ground advance in Spain.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Force Composition: 11th Army Group

Commanded by Harold Alexander, 11th Army Group will command all initially active Commonwealth forces under three Army commands.

11th UK Army Group (Alexander)
14th Army (Slim)
-3 IND Corps
-15 UK Corps
-3 AUS Corps
-2 AUS Corps (T8)
-1 AUS Corps (T22)

12th Army (Dempsey)
-4 UK Corps
-34 UK Corps

8th Army (Montgomery)
-5 UK Corps
-10 UK Corps
-13 UK Corps
-21 UK Corps
-1 SA Corps (T10)
-1 NZ Corps (T12)
-2 SA Corps (T14)

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Force Composition: 6th Army Group

Commanded by Douglas Macarthur, 6th Army Group will command all initially active US and Free French troops, under four Army commands.

6th US Army Group (Macarthur)

1st Free French Armee (DeGualle)
-1 FR Corps
-2 FR Corps
-3 FR Corps

6th Army (Bradley)
-6 Corps
-15 Corps

5th Army (Patton)
-1 Corps
-4 Corps
-18 Corps

7th Army (Devers)
-11 Corps
-22 Corps

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1/1-3/47 Turn 1

1/1-3/47 T1
Eastern Front: The Soviets have struck!
Northern:
Nothern Front attacks generally failed, though 4 GTA has begun to cross Lake Onega and 5 GTA has begun to cross Lake Rybinsk.
Moscow:
Gorky is the first Soviet city liberated! Follow-up attacks saw Dzerhinsk liberated and the GE 58th ID destroyed. North of Moscow Kineshma and Kostroma were also liberated, with the GE 56th ID being destroyed in Kostroma.
Central:
Saratov was liberated
Southern:
Good progress was made reducing the Axis bridgehead over the Volga, east of Stalingrad.

Middle East:
Persia/Caucuses:
14th Army has made contact with German troops.
Levant/Turkey:
Damascus and Beruit were both taken by 21 Corps. Two Syrian Divisions surrendered in Beruit.

Western Front:
Spain:
French paratroopers have been scattered all over southern France (Operation "French Affairs") to delay the Spanish response to the invasion on their south coast.
Operation "Good Omen", the landing in the south of Spain, did not go as well as had been hoped. Gibraltar remains mostly surrounded by Spanish troops, and at Cadiz and Malaga US and French troops did not manage to get a beachhead. However, at Huelva, Almeria, and Cartagena the landings went well and those cities were secured.
Morocco:
1 FR Corps has begun to eliminate the Spanish in Morocco (Operation "Desert Cleanup"), with the 4th FR Mountain Div capturing Tangiers.

Air War:
Operation "Standstill" was a complete success; rarely can a bridge be found in Western Europe; nearly every bridge having been destroyed by high altitude Allied bombers. This will severely hamper the Axis response to the landing in the south of Spain. It came at a price, however; 2726 Allied aircraft, mostly bombers, were lost in just three days. Compare that with the only 800 Axis craft that were destroyed and you have an air war that is not sustainable in the long run. For now, however, the Allied Air forces will continue to exhaust themselves in support of the Army.

By the end of the turn Axis AS was winning at 411-217.

Notes:
Five weeks worth of production of B-29s was lost in the first 3 days of the war.
The B-25 Mitchell was the most lost aircraft at 277 shot down over the first 3 days.
Almost 1100 Soviet tanks were lost in the first three days, compared to production of 240 tanks/half-week.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1/4-7/47 T2

1/4-7/47 T2
Eastern Front: The Soviets continued to attack all along the front.
Northern:
RU 5th Army liberated Petrozavodsk.
RU 19th and 50th Armies liberated Cheropovets.
Moscow:
RU 3rd Army liberated Rybinsk and Yaroslav.
The GE 607th ID was destroyed northwest of Gorky.
The GE 95th ID was destroyed south of Gorky.
Central:
The Central Front was largely reorganizing this half-week.
Southern:
Soviet troops have crossed the Volga north of Stalingrad, though they quickly met up with the Mother Theresia SS Division...
The HU 12th ID was destroyed east of Stalingrad.
Soviet troops have made it to the gates of Astrakhan.
The Soviet 3rd Guards, 100th Guards, and 62st Armies have gathered along the Volga, northwest of Astrakhan, awaiting the a German weakening of the defences on the west bank of the Volga in preparation for an offensive that will see them cross the river and take the Germans by surprise (or so I hope, this kind of operation has worked for me in the past).

Middle East:
Persia/Caucuses:
XV Corps threw back a German infantry division that had advanced about 20km unopposed.
Levant/Turkey:
The SS X retook Damascus and then retreated from the city, leaving it in Allied hands. Turkish troops now defend, Hamah, Himms, and Tripoli.
While XIII and XXI Corps push up the middle and left, X Corps has swung wide to the east in an attempt to outrun the Axis forces in Syria and cut in behind them, possibly in the Hamah region. UK 5th Airborne has been dropped ahead of X Corps to secure the desert ahead of them and speed up their advance.
UK 21 Corps troops took Tripoli, evaporating a Turkish Artillery Regiment.

Western Front:
Spain:
French Commandoes have been dropped as far north as Burgos, where the airfield that was being used to base German aircraft was captured.
US VI Corps blew the front at Huelva wide open with the destruction of the SP 71st ID, and the capture of Sevilla!
US VI Corps troops finally made it ashore at Cadiz, securing the city.
The FR 3rd AD captured Granada without a fight.
Troops from the FR III Corps captured Cordoba.
The US 45th ID (US XV Corps) destroyed the SP 61st ID southeast of Grenada.
French and US troops have now cut off supply to the Spaniards surrounding Gibraltar.
The Spanish Fleet was destroyed in the straits of Gibraltar.
Morocco:
The French took Ceuta.

Air War:
About 475 enemy craft were downed for a cost of 886 Allied craft. By the end of the turn AS was 380 to 198 in the Axis favour.
The second phase of Operation "Standstill" has begun, as bbout every non-fighter in the Allied arsenal has been set to interdiction in an attempt to slow German movements. This, coupled with the bridge-blowing campaign, should have a profound effect on Silvain’s ability to move forces around.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Soviet Plans

Having gotten a feel for the Soviets abilities (and proved that they can, in fact, advance effectively), I have decided on a rough plan for them.

It isn't much different than before, really, but it's a little more solid.

They'll advance in each sector as far as the Germans allow them this winter; which probably won't be much farther, as German reinforcements are arriving daily via rail from Germany. This pressure must, though, be maintained as long as possible to assist the Allies in Spain and the Middle East to make as much progress as possible.

Following the halt, the Tank Armies will be withdrawn from the line to rest and refit, preparing for a spring offensive. How this one will shape up, I'm not sure. I will, I expect, attack in my usual way, that's been seen in many an AAR: Highly concentrated forces where I expect my opponent is weakest.

My first planned 'surprise attack' is alreay being planned for: Operation "Volga Surprise"

Preparations include the massing of the 3rd Guards, 100th Guards, and 61st Armies along the Volga. As soon as I perceive Silvain weakening his Volga defences I will launch these forces accross the river in a southward direction to encircle Astrakhan.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

END_OF_TURN file avail here

Kickin, it worked!!! :D

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1/8-10/47 T3

1/8-10/47 T3
Eastern Front:
Northern:
GE 609th ID destroyed on the south shore of Lake Onega.
A strong German reinforcement has pretty well put a stop to the advance over Lake Rybinsk.
A strong German defensive line has been set up about 80km north of Tikhvin; this is more than enough to halt the Soviets. Northeast of Tikhvin, however, the story is different as Soviet troops continue to advance well.
Moscow:
GE 21st ID destroyed north of Ivanov.
2nd Guards Tank Army liberated Ivanov.
The Soviets on the Moscow Front continue to grind forward, though this is likely to stop soon, as the main German defence line has mostly been reached. Southeast of Lake Rybinsk is the exception to this, however, as Soviet forces continue to take advantage of a breakthrough that could see them halted much closer to Moscow.
Central:
GE 4th Gebirgs Div destroyed northwest of Saratov.
In the Saratov region the Soviets continue to grind forward, as Silvain has yet to properly reinforce this area. Further northwest, between Saratov and Murom, however, Silvain has brought in powerful reinforcements which have pretty well brought Soviet forces to a halt.
Southern:
The Axis bridgehead over the Volga at Stalingrad was further reduced. Initial attacks against Astrakhan went very poorly.

Middle East:
Persia/Caucuses:
A German PzGrn Division is attempting to outflank Slim’s line by hooking south of Lake Urima.
IV Corps has begun to advance north from Mosul.
XXXIV Corps is in some trouble as a German ID and PzD have arrived north of Urfa.
Levant/Turkey: 8th Army (V Corps) has begun to drive to Egypt.
X Corps has successfully driven up the east side of the German/Turkish forces still in Syria. XIII and XXI Corps, meanwhile, attack the centre, at Hims, and drive up the west side, along the coast. Another drop by British Commandoes and SAS troops has attempted to seal the Axis troops in.

Western Front: A German Airborne Division has arrived at Madrid, along with other airborne elements, including helicopters. Long lines of German units, however, can been seen snaking through France, undoubtedly on their way to Spain.
Northern Spain:
Operation Second Stroke: With the situation in Spain developing extremely quickly, if not entirely smoothly, SHAF commander, Field Marshal Wyatt T. Courtney, redirected a planned reinforcement of the south of Spain by US XXVI Corps to land at five points, in the north of Spain, previously considered for the initial invasion of Europe. Spread out along 420km of Spanish coastline they are (from west-east) La Coruna (38 ID), Ferrol (37 ID), Gijon (93 ID), Santander (96 ID), and Bilbao (1 MD). Attached to the Corps is the US 1st Marine Division; basically a small Corps, this over-strength division will secure the vulnerable eastern flank of the landing.
The landing was a disaster at the east and west locations of attack. While the US 93rd and 96th IDs managed to get ashore at Gijon and Santander, troubles were encountered elsewhere. Generally, defences were about 3 times as strong as was expected. At Ferrol, n entire Spanish ID was in reserve, responding quickly to the attempted landing by the US 37th ID. La Coruna saw the US 38th ID fail to get a lodgment against the town’s garrison. While casualties in other sectors did not top 15%, the US 1st Marine Division saw nearly a third of its strength sapped as it struggled, vainly, to secure a lodgment at Bilbao.
The next few days will see XXI Corps follow up the successful landings and the arrival of Patton to command 5th Army (XXI and XXVI Corps).
Southern Spain:
The Spanish 72nd ID was destroyed between Cadiz and Gibraltar, finally opening up the way for supply to flow to those Allied units that are scattered throughout Spain.
German reinforcements continue to come in the form of airborne troops. GE 6th FJ Div was doomed to destruction, by Führer Silvain, as it was landed in Sevilla. US VI Corps was quick to launch attacks against the city. The 6th FJ was in no mood to simply vacate the city, however, and it took the full half-week to evict the division, and only after it had suffered over 50% casualties!
Morocco:
Melilla continues to hold out against Spanish attacks.

Air War:
About 450 enemy craft were downed for the cost of over 800 Allied craft. Having to support the landings in northern Spain meant that much of the Allied airforce will not be interdicting Axis movements.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Operation Second Stroke

The 'half-success' of Operation Second Stroke.

desert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Would my strategic insights be welcome in this AAR?

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Would my strategic insights be welcome in this AAR?
YES!!! Absolutely. Anyoen who wants to jump in and comment, critique, encourage, or strategize is welcome to!

Just don't give anything away from Silvain's thread.

desert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

You mean you aren't reading his thread? Well...anyway:

I'm not familiar with the most recent changes to this scenario, but - why did you attack the northern Spanish ports? Are there supply points there? Besides, aren't you still stuck near Gibraltar?

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

You mean you aren't reading his thread?
We are both staying out of each other's threads. Having different threads, we can both post up-to-the-minute intelligence, without giving anything away to our opponent.

I'm not familiar with the most recent changes to this scenario, but - why did you attack the northern Spanish ports? Are there supply points there? Besides, aren't you still stuck near Gibraltar?
Honestly, I'm not sure if there are supply points up there or not.

I attacked the northern Spanish ports for two reasons
A) The Corps I, accidentally, started moving was from the States, and could not reach the southern ports in one turn. I had had an American Corps ready to go in England, but moved the wrong Corps, instead.
B) The situation is such in Spain that I believe that by attacking the northern ports I can effectivelty 'leapfrog' Spain. Previously, I had thought it would be a bit of a battle, but with Allied troops landing in Northern Spain, I should be able to bring the whole country under Allied occupation without allowing Silvain to form a coherent line.

I have just broken out from Gibraltar
From my Earlier Post said:
Southern Spain:
The Spanish 72nd ID was destroyed between Cadiz and Gibraltar, finally opening up the way for supply to flow to those Allied units that are scattered throughout Spain.
A picture of the situation in the south.

desert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Ah! I pictured the situation very differently!

The wrong forces were moved out, so you decided on an all-out attack ^-^
Definitely the American style. Eisenhower must have lost it when he found out that the "redirected" forces were actually never supposed to move at all.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Ah! I pictured the situation very differently!
Yeah, the situation has developed quite a bit since the last time I posted a pic.

The wrong forces were moved out, so you decided on an all-out attack ^-^
Well, faced with the choice of landing no one in Spain, or landing them in the north, I chose the later. The fact that things are advancing rather rapidly in Spain also helped me make up my mind.

Definitely the American style. Eisenhower must have lost it when he found out that the "redirected" forces were actually never supposed to move at all.
Haven't you read, SHAF (Supreme Headquarters, Allied Forces) is commanded by Field Marshall Wyatt T. Courtney!! :laugh:

desert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Field Marshall who? Sack him already!