ESPN suspends Rob Parker

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always one of my least favorite anyway. They need to can him.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not the first time Rob Packer... er, Parker has said something that pissed people off: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Parker_(sports_journalist). There are others not covered by wikipedia. The article posted by Don is like others criticizing First Take. It seems that many journalists like him are upset they don't have a show to debate topics on and have to sit back and take shots at Skip and Stephen. I watch the show almost every day and don't see them saying things just to upset people like this goober (and others) say. :(

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Parker had a chance to apologize for his comments and clear up what he really meant. Instead, in analyzing his own earlier comments, he said this:

CBS said:
"It was just a conversation that’s had in the black community when athletes or famous entertainers or whatever push away from their people,” Parker said. “That’s what it’s about.”

Parker added: “The whole thing is, and I want to make this clear, I wasn’t saying he wasn’t being black enough. When people say that, it’s just not true. I was saying these are conversations that take place once a guy pushes away. It was never aimed at him, [nor] was I calling him that.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/01/07/espns-parker-rgiii-comments-came-from-idea-that-black-athletes-push-away-from-their-people/
How does one push away? I guess living your life as an individual and not engaging in group identity politics is what qualifies as "pushing away" in Parker's narrow-minded, race-before-all-else worldview.

It's no wonder progress on race is so slow with people like Parker tossing out "cornball brother" remarks. I guess it's a good thing for ESPN that Parker is black, because if he was from any other group they might have had to burn him alive for such commentary.