ESG115 Dream Team

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got a ftf playing of ESG115 Dream Team today whereby a group of elite troops is attacking my forces with some very strong armor. For my defense, I have a couple of good guns (though I can’t touch the frontal armor of his turn 1 tigers) a mmg two lights and a small mtr. On the plus side, I do get to boresight and his forces have to enter the playing area via armored assault (so there can be some very scary boresighted hexes). So here is a quick, not well edited AAR.

For me, the base strategy is to give the enemy force too many things to do, in that the VC require the length of the road and all adjacent hexes be cleared of my good order squads and functional vehicles.

So there will be one squad in the forward buildings whose job is to resist. The mmg is set up to whack C7 with a sneakly los, if it pays off, it will be a 6-2 shot vs armored assault. The MTR is set up to harass woods hexes and will be in the trench in 66H2. The LMG’s are forward and will hopefully make it back across the road, much of the defense is set up forward with the intention of falling back some as there is so much coming on the board against me. The Guns are setup kind of in the back, I would really like to set one up forward, but I felt it would be quickly overwelmed. Would also like to be able to get some shots off vs the weaker vehicles also and the guns also have a good anti-infantry capability. The BS hexes are picked to be about 6 hexes away where one of the big vehicles may go (we’ll see how lucky we are in this respect). But keeping them back and off the board might inhibit my opponents movements slightly.

The 8-0 is planning to burn the house he is in as part of the defense and then step back into the trench, we’ll see if this works, if successful, it should hamper the attack somewhat by taking out one of the best jumping off points for the offense.

Here is the setup:

setup.PNG
In the first turn, none of the BS hexes were triggered. Ron entered on the upper right side and two stacks took fire resulting in a total of 4 broken squads. In the Adv Fire phase a couple of spots were put down, this is where things started to go badly for me, the 150 mm cannon scored a CH on the LMG in row H and lit a fire in this house (only for the flames to go out with snakes in the next spread attempt).

In my first, the leader directed his troops to light the curtains on fire in the wooden building but everyone had wet matches for some reason. So we fumbled that, this building would be a lynch pin in the upcoming attack, so if it were to burn, it would have had a big impact on the attack. My MMG tried to skulk away but got caught in the open ground and this squad ELR’d and left the medium in the road. The MTR creeped forward and would end up in HO. By the time we got into turn 2, I only had 3 unbroken squads on the board (along with the two guns HIP), as the 150 mm gun had gotten two hits, but my sniper had enough of that and sent it home by killing the CE 8-1.

Going into G3, I had two squads and a leader playing a shell game at the bottom of the board, two squads with LMG (along with a hidden gun) in the tree copse J6/K6, 3 squads with two DC that rode vehicles into the lower village. The SU122’s were kind of acting like bait and a key 447/LMG under the blaze counter in K1 (at the start of the turn, most german pieces were north of the J1-E4 road).

The way this went down, the turn started out with a unit dashing across the road in front of my squad into 57J0, I fired 6-2, missing, but putting a lane down the road. The Mark IV drove up, missed with it’s weapons, missed the SD then went into bypass with the rest of it’s MP on the J1/K1 hex spine. The SU122 put a heat round into this vehicle and burned it. The PUMA then moved on the SU122, the 57LL then drilled it burning it in hex D1. The KING Tiger then rolled up and parked in 57J1 threatening my SU122. Below is end of german 3

Capture.PNG

In the following turn, the SU122 would smoke the King, +6 vision obstacle now with the burning wreck in front of it, the other SU122 would maneuver to C4 and malf it’s gun, the T34 would go to I6 to cover the road.

In G4, my SU122 would wreck it’s gun. The king would move on the SU122, forcing it into motion at which point infantry would swarm it and knock it out with a PF. The HT would drive up to F3 where it would be stunned by 12+2 (intending to DM a stack of my brokies). This HT would burn with a DC in the next phase. Leaving only two vehicles.

Now most of my infantry had pulled back (albeit broken), clogging all the approaches and ~6 good order squads remained behing with the KING malfing the MA, the elephant in motion on the left side, one of my squads running loose on the top right, and the t34 also about to move unopposed to the top right the game was conceded in G5.

Looking back, the 80/447 attempt to burn its location was on point, just didn't get the rolls, but it would have been very worth it. The MTR and MMG did not play well where they were, the MTR would be better off in the tree copse in the back, the MMG in a place it could escape better, or be better used. The 57LL was a big surprise and worked very well. The 85L ART came into play late and also did damage at the very end, shooting up infantry (although it could have had a DI on the king with a 6). The shell game with a few pieces in the back was also quite effective.

On Roar, this one is 3-0 for the Russians, and it seems to favor them some, we rated it as middle (RD) and slight recommend (VR) as there is a lot of heavy metal flying back and forth. I did roll more than my fair share of snakes though. Many thanks to Ron for taking the time to drive down on a sunny Sunday morning and looking forward to the next match.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Mark IV drove up, missed with it’s weapons, missed the SD then went into bypass with the rest of it’s MP on the J1/K1 hex spine.

Just pointing out that you (or your opponent) can't do this !
Per D13.2, You can't attempt a sD usage attempt if "Not yet fired ANY weapon in that player Turn"

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, it is likely me messing up the order with a quick write up, but a very important thing to point out to the community at large. In this case the SD didn't play into the situation as much as the firelane was already down (this was a big deal to moving 8 morale guys that couldn't seem to pass a MC) and the tank took/missed an 8+2 shot at a 447, so decent odds at breaking up the firelane.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just pointing it out
That way, maybe someone else reading this learns something too

"Oooooo I can drop smoke after I've fired at someone so they can't shoot back". I saw someone do that in that AAR I read the other day

Nope..... Can't do that !