ESG 46 Mad Mike's Finest Hour VC Question

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Prior to play, the British secretly records one of the following VC......."

Does this mean prior to Japanese set up? Or do the Brits get to see the set up first? I've played this scenario ~5 times and this question has never come up as I recall.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Does this mean prior to Japanese set up? Or do the Brits get to see the set up first? I've played this scenario ~5 times and this question has never come up as I recall.
Without the extra turn, does it really matter? IMO, prior to play means prior to play. The Brits need to make their selection before they see the IJA setup. :)

Now I want to play this again. Anyone interested in a VASL playing of this? -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
We’re playing it straight up but if it’s close I’ll give him the extra turn
It is one of my favorite scenarios. It is such a well done scenario. I like to start out straight up as well but tell the Brit player he is allowed another turn if he needs it too. -- jim

buser333

Reaction score

Use the ASOP as your guide. Advanced Sequence of Play. I agree this needs to be determined before setup.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Use the ASOP as your guide. Advanced Sequence of Play. I agree this needs to be determined before setup.
I looked there first but I don't see anything that specifically says "Pick your VC". Do you see such a step? IMO, this should read "prior to Japanese setup" to be in compliance with the ASOP for the sake of clarity. It could be argued that "play" starts at the first Weather Check DR. I also think it could be argued that ASOP is the "Advanced Sequence of Play" and Play starts as soon as the process of wending your way through the sequence starts. When I am proof-reading for people, I suggest the above change for sake of clarity. Just my .02. -- jim

buser333

Reaction score
I looked there first but I don't see anything that specifically says "Pick your VC". Do you see such a step? IMO, this should read "prior to Japanese setup" to be in compliance with the ASOP for the sake of clarity. It could be argued that "play" starts at the first Weather Check DR. I also think it could be argued that ASOP is the "Advanced Sequence of Play" and Play starts as soon as the process of wending your way through the sequence starts. When I am proof-reading for people, I suggest the above change for sake of clarity. Just my .02. -- jim
I just meant, since there is no formal definition of "play," that the title Advanced Sequence of Play seems to define "play" in and of itself.
So anything listed in the ASOP is all considered done during "play."

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I just meant, since there is no formal definition of "play," that the title Advanced Sequence of Play seems to define "play" in and of itself.
So anything listed in the ASOP is all considered done during "play."
As I said, that's certainly a fair way of thinking about it. The issue is when reasonable people have reasonable arguments which differ but are both acceptable. If the change is made as I suggested, there can be no second "reasonable" interpretation. Each side's setup point is defined in the ASOP. There can be no other reasonable interpretation of "prior to IJA setup". I don't care for ambiguity in things like this. It makes room for these types of questions. Again, just my .02. -- jim

buser333

Reaction score
As I said, that's certainly a fair way of thinking about it. The issue is when reasonable people have reasonable arguments which differ but are both acceptable. If the change is made as I suggested, there can be no second "reasonable" interpretation. Each side's setup point is defined in the ASOP. There can be no other reasonable interpretation of "prior to IJA setup". I don't care for ambiguity in things like this. It makes room for these types of questions. Again, just my .02. -- jim
I agree an update of the Index would be welcome, as it's been 20+ years since any modifications have been made (to my knowledge).

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished this classic on Sunday. Nelson went for the exit and came up 3 EVP short with the extra turn. In our review of the game, Turn 1 actually was the difference maker. My 4-4-8 light MTR really hammered Mad Mike's forces. It took him a turn to get it together again. Also, Mad Mike was wounded on Turn 9, which prevented his exit. That's 3 EVPs for him alone.

I think if Nelson picked the building/hut VCs he would have come up short. The back multihex building is a bear. To make this scenario perfect I think adding the turn and stating the back 2 hex building is ground level only is the ticket.

If you have not played this highly recommend!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Finished this classic on Sunday. Nelson went for the exit and came up 3 EVP short with the extra turn. In our review of the game, Turn 1 actually was the difference maker. My 4-4-8 light MTR really hammered Mad Mike's forces. It took him a turn to get it together again. Also, Mad Mike was wounded on Turn 9, which prevented his exit. That's 3 EVPs for him alone.

I think if Nelson picked the building/hut VCs he would have come up short. The back multihex building is a bear. To make this scenario perfect I think adding the turn and stating the back 2 hex building is ground level only is the ticket.

If you have not played this highly recommend!
Nice review Doug. I agree on all counts. It is an absolutely amazing scenario that need just a slight VC change to make it perfect. I need to play this again. -- jim

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was a good scenario to play. I played it based on Jim's recommendation years ago.

I would play it again.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Deal. I will be there this year if it happens. -- jim
May try to make it there myself. Need to rendezvous with Fish's brother Mike and give him Fish's Apple IIe computer that's been in my attic for a couple decades. Seems like the place to meet.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
May try to make it there myself. Need to rendezvous with Fish's brother Mile and give him Fish's Apple IIe computer that's been in my attic for a couple decades. Seems like the place to meet.
I will keep an eye out for you. I know you by sight but I doubt you know me by sight. I ain't no luminary like you and Fish ;) -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I will keep an eye out for you. I know you by sight but I doubt you know me by sight. I ain't no luminary like you and Fish ;) -- jim
Will hopefully see you there.

Lol luminary? Some candles are still burning brightly, some of us have burnt out. Thanks for the kind words though. 😊

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I love this scenario, Burnie and I played it a few years ago at ASLOK.

I think we felt the Brits needed the extra turn.

Roger