Escoville Triangle - airBiscuit vs Malm

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally put my comments in on this tournament game, which ended back in December. Malm's comments are included as well. From WARS,,,

GB-ESCOVILLE TRIANGLE

Report 4260
Malm [Unrated] 51 pts (AXIS (4943))
airBiscuit [Veteran] 51 pts (ALLIES (4135))
9078 Purchase Points
2004-12-17
Draw

Tournament Game
Malm comments: Good. Very enjoyable.

Played as Axis I ran into difficulties at Ferme de Baron as well as in the triangle. Preponderance (I learned that word from airBiscuit :) ) of force seems to be the key to success against a well organized defense of Lé Pre Baron. However the down fall of this way of playing is that later in the game you find your Axis forces in a serious logistics mess.

This scenario is well formed with plenty of equitment to play with and by the nature of bocarge - many location to try them out in. However IMHO I was a bit blaffled that I managed to get a Draw since I did not get any where near full filling my assignment. Taking Escoville is quite an achievement I agree but at least one more objective on the British side of the map should be conquered. Taking Beauvoisin or the objective closest to Breville should trigger a draw if all the other objectivs south of those was in Axis control. This is however only with the breifing in mind - I guess when taking game play and the Tournament into the consideration it is another ball game.

Best regards
Malm

airBiscuit comments: Superb. One of the best!

It is four months later in writing comments on this battle, but the draw that Malm pulled out serves to show how perseverence can pay off, even in the event of initial setbacks.

I felt that for a good first half of the game, the British held the advantage, mainly from having stalled the Axis attack both close to the Axis starting point and at Ferme du Pre Baron, the first town the Axis usually encounters.

Malm's attack force seemed at first scattered and unorganized, and it was only later in the game that he began to bring in well-manned, coordinated attacks. The British, having been fighting for nearly 75% of the game, had begun to wear down at Ferme du Pre Baron, and in the final turns were killed or driven out by the gathering Axis force. This final force consisted of armor and troops that appeared to be initially slated for an attack on Escoville, which never transpired. No Axis troops got near the main town.

The Axis did manage to secure their side of the map, and had killed a lot of British units in getting there. In having the British funelling troops to the front, mainly to Ferme du Pre Baron, the rear defenses were getting thin by the end of the game. A powerful sneak attack by the Axis may have very well broken through the Escoville defense, which would have resulted in a crushing blow to the British. As it stands, the delaying sacrifice by so many British units kept Escoville intact, even as the result was quite Pyrrhic in the final analysis.

Commendations to Malm on putting up a good fight, and pressing the battle even when things weren't going so well to start. His forces collected themselves mightily in the end, and the British defenses sagged under the weight of the Axis push.