ESB and Smoke Dispenser Attempt

buser333

Reaction score
If a tracked vehicle without any MP remaining wishes to attempt a sM, must the ESB roll be made before this attempt, or only if the sM roll succeeds?
If the former, does any ESB failure still apply if the sM is unsuccessful?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If a tracked vehicle without any MP remaining wishes to attempt a sM, must the ESB roll be made before this attempt, or only if the sM roll succeeds?
If the former, does any ESB failure still apply if the sM is unsuccessful?
It would have to make the ESB DR first, I would think. If it made the sD DR first but then failed the ESB it would not have the MP to make the sD attempt which it has already made.

JR

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it fails the sD roll, it never tries to expend the MP and therefore no need for an ESB roll.

Probably requires a PS.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am pretty sure one needs to have an MP available in order to possibly expend it on a sD attempt. I.e., ESB DR first to see if one has the MP, I can't see one rolling the ESB retroactively.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I can't see how you would proceed if you rolled the sD successfully and placed the smoke, then failed the ESB. The smoke is retracted? The smoke is left anyway? That was the reasoning behind my answer: you need even more rules if the sD is attempted first.

JR