Ersatz VASLeague 2021

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The registration for the Ersatz VASLeague 2021 is now open: Join in!

Players from last year (with less than two forfeits) are automatically registered and should have received an email about that recently.

What is the Ersatz VASLeague?
The Ersatz VASLeague is an individual ASL tournament played over the internet via VASSAL/VASL. It is a substitute for the original VASLeague that took place until 2019. The goal is to provide players from around the world with a friendly competition and the chance to meet new players and learn from them. You can participate if you commit to play the required number of ASL games (4 per year) in the required time (8 weeks per game) each season. Familiarity with the rules is required, but you don't have to be an experienced or good player.

The Tournament Director (TD) is Tobias (WuWei on the Gamesquad forum), serving as a steward until the rightful TD Enrico will return one day.

Official announcements and discussions take place here in this thread.

You can also write to asl@randpatrouille.de for questions and clarifications.

If you want to participate: Read the rules (at least the tl;dr version) and register!

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Great, thanks for taking the time for organizing this well run tournament.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I will contact the players about promotions this weekend. If I get confirmation from all of them within a day or so, it is possible that I will send out the pairings for the top and regional leagues before the holidays. So, there is a chance, but not a big one.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
There are a few last minute adjustments to be made, I have just contacted the respective players.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are a few last minute adjustments to be made, I have just contacted the respective players.
Looking forward to the new league - many thanks for taking the time to run it.

Give me your PayPal account details and I'm happy to send you the price of a beer :)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Have signed up for 2021. Looking forward to the games.

I am retired so don't let the -7 GMT restrict any matches if you need someone with flexibility. I regularly play early to accommodate the 'eastern' folk.

Cheers.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Any registration after NOW won't join the first round of the Ersatz VASLeague 2021.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The Ersatz VASLeague 2021 has started! Deadline for round 1 is 01 March.

If you didn't receive an email with the contact information of your opponent and the reporting link, please let me know.

TOP League
Boudrenghien vs. Paul Chamberland
Lionel Colin vs. Jeff Wasserman
Stewart King vs. Jason Wert
Koestler vs. Tinture
Paul Lauger vs. David Haasl
Rich Domovic vs. Sandro Coriasco
Martin Vicca vs. Michael Klautky
Craig Houliston vs. Jack Boyle

America/East League
Patrick Palma vs. Paul Schaeffer
Jay Dragonetti vs. Kevin Russell
Scott Holst vs. Jonathan Kapleau
Jim Fardette vs. Andy Goldin
Andy Beaton vs. Rob Arrieta
David Langer vs. James Taylor

America/West League
Donald Holland vs. David Rosner
John Bock vs. Felipe Zavala
Rick Galli vs. Eben Johnson
Larry Rohlfing vs. Steffen Knippel
John Lehman vs. Jason Burnette
Ernie Cameron vs. Jim Bellini

Euro/Oceanic League
Danny Peeters vs. Björn Lorenzen
Luca Martini vs. Sandro Coriasco
Tobias Deißler vs. Kåre Jacobsen
Sebastiano Caltabiano vs. Marti Cabre
Toze Santos vs. Joe Arthur
Magnus Rimvall vs. Juan Santacruz

Second Line League
Frank J Costanzo vs. Steve Anderson
Jim Bishop vs. Ernst Knauth
James Kelly vs. Euan Denniston
John Mcloughlin vs. Chuck Tewksbury
Fabio Mazzucchelli vs. Asad Rustum
Sebastian Hummel vs. Robert Leclerc
Marc Hanna vs. Ken Dunn
Ryan Kent vs. Maurizio
Gerry Proudfoot vs. Roy Johanson
Hank Wit vs. Tuomo Lukkari
Lee Hyde-Sellars vs. Oyvind Jacobsen Bjorkas
Steve Worrel vs. Stephen Stewart
Stephane Renaudin vs. Jim Traver
Todd Rezack vs. Pierce Mason
Chas Argent vs. William Willow
Gregory Smith vs. Jeremy Busby
David Goldman vs. Daniel Soukup
Stefano Piccardo vs. Mike Augustine
Michal Sedlacko vs. Chris Graff
Neal Ekengren vs. Kris Koch

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
There are some minor organizational mixups being sorted out right now. If you encounter a problem, please let me know.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The list above has been updated, the affected players have been notified.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Irgendwie ist dieses Jahr der Wurm drin. (Sorry, I don't know how to express this feeling of slight frustration in English). There has been another mixup and I will have to rearrange a few games. Things will be smoothed out soon, I hope.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
As far as I'm aware, all errors have been patched, all players now have proper opponents and even three stragglers could be added to the Second Line League.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Toze Santos are you there? I have sent you a few emails.............please get in touch.

Hope you're OK.

rpjrim

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gerry Proudfoot and I kicked off the new year in style, Gerry's British/Americans faced my mighty Germans in J167: Hart Attack.

TIL: American M3s are awesome early war tanks. Turret 37, Hull 75, as well as a nifty remote control aamg. Clearly, my Germans had failed to read the intelligence memo on the capabilities of these beasts. Aside from one ATR and one 40LL ATG, the Germans have fairly limited antitank capabilities here.

The British entered on both the north and south flanks, with the stronger of the two forces driving for the three building cluster in the SE. The thin German forces in the South managed to shock (and eventually kill) one M3 with a 50MM mortar (virtually the only useful thing that these mortars did all game). After that promising start, the German southern forces decided it was not worth the fight. A critical hit on a 8-1/548/mmg before it had even fired a shot contributed to the near-total failure of the southern force. The only other bright spot on this side of the map was Gerry's masterful driving - rolling an M3 directly in front of the 40LL AT. Even my AT crews couldn't miss that shot.

The Northern force offered some more resistance. A determined 238 in the NW held up two British squads in melee for two turns, surviving exceptionally high odds attacks. Progress was slower here, and the Germans had some chance of holding much of the central building cluster. Two turning points up North served to seal the fate of the Germans. a 30+2 attack at the first British squad entering K7 had no effect, and an attempted demolition charge placement on an M3 in bypass attacking L7 managed to fail - a 548 with a 9-1 failing a NMC. The resultant point blank 75mm rounds broke the key elements of the northern defense. Even the arrival of the three German PzKwIIIHs did little to stem the British tide.

This one had more than it's fair share of critical hits and effective sniper rolls. A very fun, balanced scenario where things can change quickly.

And, if I didn't mention it already - stay out of the LOS of those (*&(^&^ M3s!

Last edited:

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Nice and fun game with Asad Rustum. Dice help me to win ( my OBA place 3 CH on his tanks!). I meet a real gentleman player. Thank for the Game
Fabio.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I played against Kåre in J192 Taking Some Flak. My Finnish attackers might have been a liiiittle bit to aggressive at the beginning, and Fortuna was on the side of the Germans. I tried some high risk moves to still have a chance to win, but in turn 3, it was mathematically impossible for me to achieve victory, so I conceded. I wish I had provided a more interesting and exciting experience, but at least, it was a short game, and Kåre is a pleasant opponent.