Ersatz VASLeague 2021

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the US-East, Paul Schaeffer's Americans took on David Langer's Germans in J178, Old Friends. This is a pretty fantastic design, with a very strong American force running into a fairly tough bunch of Germans, with really difficult terrain for both and an attack across two boards that has its axis from one corner to the opposite one. David had some rough dice and his guys fell back rather quickly. A tough defense in the Alamo was tough to crack, but there were too many Yanks to hold back and David conceded after turn 6 (of 6.5). Highly recommend this scenario.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the US/CAN-Central/West division (or whatever it's called), my Tigers defeated Eben Johnson's mixed US paratroopers/infantry in U30 Swatting at Tigers (an old SL classic) in the bottom of the 5th inning. I had managed to squeak six squad-equivalents onto the north edge of board 2 before losing a Tiger. Eben was surprised that his defenders moved first, and failed to seize the board 15 heights before I did. That was the key, we think. Reported to Tobias's web site and ROAR.

Once again, fun to make the time to play Eben.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Stephen Stewart Vs Asad Rustum
Stewarts Bulgarians slip past the Partisan defenses for a victory.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I haven't reported anything yet, but I will look into it.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the US-East, round 4, Paul Schaeffer's Italians and Corsican Partisans faced the retreating rabble of Jim Fardette's Germans in ROMA2, Second Hand News.
Initially it looked a bit grim as he rushed the side away from the town where I had a rather thin picket of 2 squads and an HIP squad with 8-0 in the woods line. In turn 1 the Italians in the backfield started moving and triggered a sniper which pinned one of those squads, preventing him from skulking and pinning him. He was wrecked in Dfire. Turn 2 saw the Germans come in hot and the attempt to shift units that way looked insufficient. A Stug bypassed the HIP units and the molotov failed. Other units charged up and with some skillfully placed smoke looked ready to take out my whole line in CC. But of course, CC is a fickle bitch. I managed to hold the line, kill several units including the german 9-1 and pretty solidly wreck his plan. The Stugs made a run for it, one using ESB to get off, but the other was caught and immobilized in CC. With the losses of leaders, the now plentiful screen of partisan HSs and about 9 CVP collected already, it was hopeless and Jim threw in the towel. Interestingly to me, the rather large Italian force in the German rear never really did anything except dance about with the rear guard. Those were a win in that the rear guard would not be possible to exit, but my guys never got into position to interdict any forward movement to speak of.
It's a pretty fun scenario that looks quite pro-German at first glance, but they have a tough challenge and very little time to make it happen. ROAR will be up to 20-16 Italian-German once this is entered. Nice one!
Thanks to Jim for a fun game!

Last edited:

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike Augustine and Jim Bishop played ROMA2 Second Hand News. It went down to the last CC, and my Italians/Partisans squeaked by with a win. Some timely Snipers focused on German leaders, coupled with a couple of boxcars on Jim's MCs swung the scenario in my favor. Needless to say, Jim played a solid game. He was a pleasure to play against, and his razor sharp knowledge on the rules meant that I never had to really use a RB for the more 'unused portions' of my repertoire.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
My Soviets prevailed versus Björn Lorenzen´s hungarians in SP231 GALICIAN PERSUASION

It went in the last turn, when a lucky shot broke the 8-1/537 that were going to capture the last buiding victory hex he needed.

I can say that the dice gods smiled at me. He played a much better game, but one of his tanks was recalled by sniper on turn one, one with the MA broken on turn 2, one was recalled when I rolled a snake eyes on his crew, another one went with a pointblank rear shot with a hidden gun that waited a lot for the right ocasion, and one inmobilized without any good LoS....

So he had just one tank for the last push

And his 120 mortar was gone on turn two, when a sniper hit it, and in the rally he rolled boxcars.... SO he played without tanks and mortars, and I haven't played so close a scenario for the last two years!!!

Luck was quite elusive to him.

(Pd: I had 4 RoF in a row with one T34, with two CH vs infantry )

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
With Paul, we just finished our game. It was AP171 Possl’s Posse and it has been a cracking game.
My Germans managed to resist and to win the game by the smallest margin (The Russians took 9 building, and they need 10 to win).

Thank you, Paul, for the game.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin Vicca's Welshmen defeated Rich Domovic's Germans in HazMo6 - Great Vengeance.

The Brits swarmed my Germans, who failed to bring any fausts to the tussel in the Netherlands.

By the German turn three reinforcement turn, 4.5 of my initial eight squads were either dead or prisoners and further resistance was futile.

Enjoyed playing Martin.

PS - if someone has the official result reporting form, I would appreciate it as I lost my email with it.

Thanks,
Rich

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
PS - if someone has the official result reporting form, I would appreciate it as I lost my email with it.
The link to the resulting form is only valid for a specific pairing in a specific round. I'm a little bit behind schedule, but I will soon send out a reminder with the links to players of games where no result has been reported yet.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I found the firm and sub,fitted it.
Rich was a joy to play and very kind to fit himself around my schedule.
As usual, you need a little luck in this scenario. Rich tried for a PF and his rolls were 5,5,6,6,6. Never found a single one.
That combined with his 75 AT gun disappearing on an IF shot meant my armour could just run amok.
As if this were not sufficient, my sniper removed key squad allowing my troops to charge forward and prevent his units rallying.