Ersatz VASLeague 2020

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if ours is also missing, but I know my victorious opponent Jason Wert may be tied up and possibly did not yet have a chance to report the results: his Russians won a swirling contest in AP 131 Crickets In Spring against my attacking Germans. Tip of the hat to Jason for a great game--it was a lot fun. David

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
If you are not sure, check: http://randpatrouille.de/cgi-bin/asl-liga.cgi?link=current_round.html
or
Use the same link you used to report your game (it was in the email with the pairing) and check if the info is there.

If your game is missing: Use that link and report your game.

I can only keep this league running if I can automate as much as possible, and you have to help by reporting the game using the web interface.

jwert02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if ours is also missing, but I know my victorious opponent Jason Wert may be tied up and possibly did not yet have a chance to report the results: his Russians won a swirling contest in AP 131 Crickets In Spring against my attacking Germans. Tip of the hat to Jason for a great game--it was a lot fun. David
We’re in there. Thanks again for a great game, it was a tense affair.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Round 2 is up! You should all have gotten an email with your opponent's contact information and the web link to report your results. Welcome to all the new players that joined the Second Line League. Have fun! Good bye to all of those who had to drop out. Take care, I hope we'll see you back some time in the future.

The pairings are:

TOP League
Craig Houliston vs. Stewart King
Rich Domovic vs. Lionel Colin
Martin Vicca vs. Paul Lauger
Paul Chamberland vs. Brian Routh
Jack Boyle vs. Jeff Wasserman
Charles Henry Hammond vs. Boudrenghien
Tinture vs. Koestler

US/East League

Rob Arrieta vs. DUMMY
Jay Dragonetti vs. Scott Holst
James Taylor vs. Patrick Palma
Jason Wert vs. Andy Goldin
Jim Fardette vs. Kevin Russell
David Langer vs. Andy Beaton

US/West League
David Haasl vs. Larry Rohlfing
David Rosner vs. John Lehman
John Bock vs. Tom Repetti
Donald Holland vs. Rick Galli
Mark Watson vs. Jason Burnette
Steffen Knippel vs. Eben Johnson

Euro/Oceanic League
Tobias Deißler vs. DUMMY
Juan Santacruz vs. Sandro Coriasco
Björn Lorenzen vs. Luca Martini
Sam Prior vs. Toze Santos
Joe Moro vs. Kåre Jacobsen
Sebastiano Caltabiano vs. Magnus Rimvall

Second Line League
Euan Denniston vs. DUMMY
Simon Staniforth vs. Joe Arthur
Marti Cabre vs. Chuck Tewksbury
Felipe Zavala vs. Joe Vennarucci
Danny Peeters vs. Lee Hyde-Sellars
Ernie Cameron vs. Jim Bellini
Michal Sedlacko vs. Paul Schorfheide
Rusty Shields vs. Cary Tyler
Todd Rezack vs. Jonathan Kapleau
Michael Klautky vs. ShawN Decaluwe
Andy Riemer vs. trebosc francois
Steve Anderson vs. Maurizio
David Douglas vs. Stefano Piccardo
Frank J Costanzo vs. Fabio Mazzucchelli
Greg Green vs. Kris Koch

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Round 2 ends on 30th of May.

PrinceTuiTeka

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Dummy? Does that mean no opponent? Tobias Deißler or Rob Arrieta, would either of you like to play a game instead?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Haasl and Larry Rohlfing played A143 Late for Chow. David jumped out to a commanding lead racing across the middle with a leader and three squads ... eight points worth. Mortar fire reduced one squad to a half squad and the race was on. The platoon reached the VC buildings before reinforcements came onboard. Reinforcements and the chaser encircled and eliminated the would-be winners. David continued to press the tame bringing the 9-1 and three squads down the left side of the board for the win. Larry was able to slow the roll and after exchanging a couple of shots, broke the leader and pinned the squads. The next turn broke the covering squad ... ELR and disrupting the 6+1 leader (why was he there?). It came down to the turn 7 rally phase, could the 9-1 leader rally. If he does, the Germans win. If he does not, the Americans win.

DR=5. The DM and self-rally penalty in the bocage-orchard is not enough. American win for Larry.

Great game. Went back and forth. Keys to victory were the encirclement and rolling low at the right times.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 252: Ultimate Treachery against Jeff Wasserman. The French are holding a number of rowhouses and 3-story buildings on board 21; the Japanese have 4.5 turns to capture 45 building locations. Trying to stop them is a roughly equal force of mixed green and first-line units, and one WWI-era tank.

I haven't played many scenarios where VC were tied to building locations controlled, not building control. Since mopping-up is out of the picture (it's 1945), that means the Japanese have to move an MMC into every one of those 45 locations to win.

My plan was mostly to die in the most inconvenient places possible for the Japanese, using blocking half-squads and routing units to keep the Japanese from ever being able to move the full distance forward. With only 4.5 turns, I figured that if I could stall them for an extra turn or so, and then force them to move recklessly across the streets that divide the French setup area in quarters, I would have a good shot at blasting enough to run out the clock (the Japanese are not allowed to banzai by SSR). It was tough to plan further than that, as the Japanese can either set up on the south edge or enter on the east edge, so the French defense is necessarily going to be pretty reactive.

I thought my plan was OK, but I still don't really know. Jeff's first four rolls, trying to cover his initial advance with any kind of smoke from his knee mortars, were 10, 10, 9, and 11. After that, I spent the next few turns rolling 4's, 5's, and 6's against pretty much every Japanese unit that ventured out in the street. That's not enough to entirely stop them, but Jeff couldn't catch many breaks in CC either; most resulted in both sides dying, which isn't as good for the Japanese as that usually is, because of the need to snag upper level locations in all those sites. A last-ditch banzai-in-flavor-if-not-in-mechanics charge was repulsed on turn 4, upon which Jeff resigned.

Many thanks to Jeff for playing along with my French obsession and for showing nothing but patience and good humor over the course of one of the worse dicings I've been lucky enough to deliver. Best of luck in round 3!

picca

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Just finished second round. I played J43 as German Defender against David Douglas. This morning David granted me victory after suffering dreadful third turn DFph results.
My German Panzers an the AT gun seemed to be able to fire forever and with incredible precision. Overall a fantastic experience for me (like the first round against Martí Cabré).
This is my first experience in the VASLegue and I was pleasantly surprised by the kindness and sportiness of my adversaries, both much more experienced than me.
I would like to publicly thank Marti and Douglas here (just discovered the forum after registering the match result) for the countless explanations they were forced to do and
for kindly forgiving my many mistakes during the game. I think my understanding of the rules was greatly improved after these first two games. Unfortunately I must admit
that I had now a strong necessity to re-read the manual before third round. It seems to me I misunderstood half of the rules and too frequently forgot the other half...

As for a quick review of the game: David charged right thruogh the village of Guines, by turn three he has captured the O6 house and is flanking me from nord and south.
I was left with the AT in R5 and a couple of squads and 9-1 leader in the P4-O4 house. By sheer luck my Panzers and the AT gun saved the day destroying three of the british tanks (that were nicely placed
hull down behind walls) and later effectively hammering its advancing infantry with incredible precise HE attacks. David finally concedes after a devastating overrun on his
last remaining unbroken squad that was valiantly shooting at my overrunning tank with LMG nearly knocking down it.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A very tense, close and enjoyable game against Simon Staniforth in AP62 Shouting Into The Storm resulted in my Russians just holding onto victory condition building Z6 for a win.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my hot VASL dice :)

Good luck to Simon in the next round.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A very tense, close and enjoyable game against Simon Staniforth in AP62 Shouting Into The Storm resulted in my Russians just holding onto victory condition building Z6 for a win.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my hot VASL dice :)

Good luck to Simon in the next round.
Great scenario, IMO among the new classics.

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I diced Rick Galli rather brutally in March on Marche DB134. I lost the e-mail link for reporting the result, can someone send it to me?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I diced Rick Galli rather brutally in March on Marche DB134. I lost the e-mail link for reporting the result, can someone send it to me?
Your opponent got the same link. If both of you lost it, contact me and I will dig it up.

PrinceTuiTeka

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I subbed in for Paul Schorfheide and played Michal Sedlacko at FrF2 Maczek Fire Brigade. Michal took the assaulting Germans, and I took the defiant Polish. Absolutely fantastic scenario, with a good mix of infantry and tin cans that can barely scratch each other. Resulted in a lot of VBM freezing on Michals part as expected, and bouncing MG and 20L shots from both sides!

In the end, I profited from some unlucky rolls on Michals part, winning two critical Melees, and having the majority of Michal's AFVs Malfed, or recalled. All in all, though, I had an absolute blast playing this. Great scenario (which I would replay in a heartbeat), and a stellar opponent. Both Michal and I have a similar level of experience, so I felt like we were well matched. Had some laughs, and Michal is a gentleman to play, so would play him again anytime. Let me know if you are keen anytime Michal!

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom and I completed our play of FRF 58 Order 31 Toms Russians won in the last CC phase of a tight game. Tom was a joy to play. Congrats!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Likewise, John Bock is a really good guy to play against. No whining, doesn't gripe about MY whining, etc :) Plus a fun interesting scenario. Thanks John!

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My attacking Russians conceded to Eben Johnson's German/Rumanian defenders in 224 (aka A26) "Beachhead at Ozereyka Bay" in the bottom of the 8th inning.

Fun scenario and opponent, but my Russians couldn't recover from losing 2 leaders and having the 3rd one wounded. Plus, I kept forgetting the armour reinforcements' dr, so they finally entered in turn 6, too late to provide real support.

Entered in the Ersatz VASLeague 2020's web site, and ROAR.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
My defending Amis conceded to Sandro Coriasco attacking Germans on allied turn 3 on SP131 Pocket Panzers.

Fun scenario, highly recomended (but very big, beware).

The OBA was inicially innefective, and I had a juicy target of three panthers side by side. Then I rolled 11 with my HIP bazooka and 9-1 to the side of a adyacent moving panther, my 60mm mortars ROF spree was innefective against a panther (maybe 15 shoots or more! I even got a CH, but sadly no TK of 3 or less) to latter get both mortars out of action by a snake eyes with the MA of that panther; but anyway the german took some casualties as he had to cross open ground. My deployment was intended to try to take one or two panthers setting ambushes with my HIP counters and trying to channel his attack. He was initially cautious, but latter made its main trust thru the woods.

So I managed to survive somehow to the third turn, and then a FFE1 corrected 3 hexes from SR to miss its one hex accuracy roll and finish on even a better place, and the subsequent FFE2, just shattered the german infantry in the woods: no infantry can survive two firing phases (defensive and prep) on a woods under a 105 mm barrage!! As I had already killed two panthers, one by a CH side shoot with a bazooka, and another one with an adyacent rear shoot with my 57L, and one of the panters had its MA innoperative, I took a chance with my six cromwells, and got another panther without loss!

But we had to finish the game at that moment....23.30 on last day of the round.

The germans had 40% of its squads wiped out (7.5 out of 18), its two best leaders wounded and broken (9-2 and 9-1), 3 of its panthers wrecked and another one with the main armament and CMG disabled (just two operatives panthers then), 2,5 squads broken and some ERLed MMC, even a wounded broken 6+1 leader! While I had 18% of my squads wiped out (2,5 put of 14, one of them got prisioner by a most innoportune sniper hit, but anyway, after a snake eyes in a side bazzoka shot vs a panther, and another one by a boxcars on a rally attempt when a 10 was needed), 2,5 squads broken and a low case stun Cromwell.

At the end I think I had an edge on infantry vs the german, 11,5 Squads + crew vs 10,5 squads with his leadership clearly shattered and mine intact, an advantage on tanks, 6 Cromwells (1 stun) vs 3 Panthers (one with the MA and CMG inoperative, so I can say fairly four cromwell plus one Challenger vs two panthers), and my 105mm artillery with 8B/3R and clear LOS to the battlefield (we were using the pleva rule).

But I had, fairly I think, to conced to Sandro, because we all know that ASL its like a roller coaster, one turn luck its smiling, next turn all look grim, and it was, without any doubt, my only fault that we couldn´t finish the game by the time limit of the tournament round. I´m really sorry for that and have to apollogize again: I was commited to a tournament but couldnt finish properly; all of us are here to play, but I ended spoiling Sandro game not finishing it

Sandro its one of the players I have meet with a better knowledge of the rules!! But I can say, he was really unlucky and I was really lucky to hit all that infantry in the woods and get two panthers before the arrival of my tanks.

I hope Sandro give me a rematch someday! I enjoyed a lot and I hope he did also.

Beware of him! He is a very serious and dangerous player, I learnt, and enjoy a lot, playing with him

Regards

Juan

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m trying to use the link to report a result but getting error messages. Kevin Russell won as the Germans in Kurhaus Clash, J22, with no balance. Could someone please post a working link for the east coast league? Thanks!