Ersatz VASLeague 2020

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I posted the rules for the Ersatz VASLeague: http://randpatrouille.de/cgi-bin/asl-liga.cgi?link=rules.html
They are mostly the original ones, but I shorted them down a little bit. Please pay special attention to section 3: Results.
Rules

The Ersatz VASLeague 2020 is an individual ASL tourney, a substitute for the original VASLeague that took place until 2019.

The Tournament Director is Tobias (WuWei on the Gamesquad forum), serving as a steward until the rightful TD Enrico will return one day.

Official announcements will be made on the Gamesquad forum: Ersatz VASLeague 2020

It is played mainly via internet with the following rules:

1. General Rules

1.1 The Swiss System is used for pairings and classification.

1.12 There are 4 rounds beginning on 6st January 2020 .

In detail:

round 1 : 6 January - 15 March
round 2 : 16 March - 30 May
round 3 : 1 June - 15 August
round 4 : 16 August - 31 October

1.2 One point is awarded for a victory and a half point for a draw.

1.3 Tiebreaker: If two or more players finish the league with the same number of points, the following cases will be applied in order from a) to e) for determination of final ranking:

1.3 a) Result of the game played by the players with the same number of points (if they are just two and assuming they actually played a game one vs the other);

1.3 b) Best opponents met not counting the worst and the best (known as: Winged Buholz tiebreaker);

1.3 c) Number of the round of the first game lost (the later the better);

1.3 d) A random drawing will be made.

2. No PbeM

2.1 The matches will be played on the VASL server live or face-to-face by default.

2.12 a PBeM game is allowed only if both players agree. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't subscribe if you already know you cannot guarantee enough time to play even a small or medium sized ASL scenario live on VASL !

2.13 Delayed Notes

2.131 Players are suggested to extensively use the "delayed" notes VASL tool to record HIPs, Fortifications, Covered Arcs, Spotters, CE status, Pre-Registered hexes, and so on.

2.14 Web Dice

2.140 The use of the dice coming with the VASL module is mandatory.

2.141 Any other system to roll dice, as for example the use of real dice – instead of a dicebot – rolled in front of a web cam is allowed only of both players agree.

2.2 Scenarios and sides are freely chosen by the players, balances included. Any scenario may be chosen [EXC: SK scenarios are NA]. It is strongly recommended to choose scenarios according to the time and the experience both players have.

3. Results

3.1 Results have to be reported before the end of the round using the web form. A link will be provided in the email announcing the pairing for the coming round. The same email will also contain the deadline.

3.2 Players should agree on the result of a game. This is most easy if they finish the game and check the Victory Condition of the scenario played.

3.3 If players can't finish the game, they should somehow agree on a result. The player who is mainly responsible for the missed game or for a delay that makes impossible to end the scenario in time should admit his fault giving the win to the opponent.

3.4 Players are allowed and encouraged to agree on a DRAW if there's no party at fault and no player in a clear winning position, or to roll a die to decide on a winner.

3.5 When the players can't agree on the result of a game not finished, the TD will - with the help of volunteer judges - do so.

3.6 Players are allowed to send the Judges a brief comment to explain their plans for the endgame.

3.7 The game will be judged as a DRAW unless there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

3.8 The deadline is not flexible. No game is allowed beyond the deadline scheduled for the round. This applies also in the last round.

4. Abandoning

4.1 We aim to have a VASLeague full of dedicated players. Thus no player can win any League or simply be promoted to an higher level if has even a single forfeit in any of the rounds.

4.2 If a player forfeits two matches he is immediately cancelled from that league and relegated at the bottom of his League. That player will restart from the Second Line League if he will register again.

4.2.1 A forfeited game is a game not played at all. An interrupted game or a game not finished in time as well an early resign after the game has just started is treated simply as a lost game.

4.3. If there's an odd number of players because of previous cancellation, the last active player of a league, gains an automatic "Bye" against a "dummy" player. Nobody in a tourney can gain more than one "Bye".

4.4 Past experience shows that people forfeiting their very first round usually forfeits another round thus becoming cancelled from the tournament. For this reason, a player who forfeits his FIRST round is immediately cancelled (no reason to wait a second forfeit that happens 95% of the time). Exception: A single forfeit in any round in the Second Line League ALWAYS causes immediate cancellation.

5. Prizes

5.1 If you want to donate a price, please contact the TD.

5.2 Registration is free of charge.

Please write to asl@randpatrouille.de for questions and clarifications.

Have fun!

The Ersatz VASLeague TD, February 2020
If you have questions, you can also ask here.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Taylor and I will be playing the revised version of “Play Ball”. Sides TBD. Untested Americans versus Vichy French, Gomer Pyle vs Inspector Clouseau. What could go wrong?

PrinceTuiTeka

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hey Guys, I missed this completely! Can I put myself down as a reserve if someone needs to pull out?

PrinceTuiTeka

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Perfect! All enrolled and eager to start! I assume the website will ping me when the second round starts?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
You will get an email with the contact information of your opponent when the round starts, hopefully some time before or around 16th March.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Kåre Cumberland as german and me as soviet just finished the FrF97 WRECKING THE RENTALS

It was a soviet win. Very nice scenario, and a strong and "sneaky" player as Kåre made a very exciting game!! I was very lucky with a early shot on his tank destroyer with my 50mm mortar.... After 5 hits in a row (3 ROF) I got a snakeeyes for efect!!!

Indeed, I got an unfair share of the snakeyes and 3´s we rolled.... I even got two snakeyes almost in a row in turn 5 soviet CC and one on a turn 5 german Rally !!! So at german turn 5 I had enough tanks and squads within 5 hexes of H10 and Kåre surrendered

Kåre did a proper fighting withdrawal, but resulted useless becasue everytime I rolled for SM, I got SMOKE in place!! (SMOKE is the best soviet friend in this scenario) so I could keep the pressure on the german rearguard. Anyway, he surprised me with the mortar, the TD, and even with his dummies!!!

It was a real pleasure to play with Kåre

Juan Santacruz

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I lost with my Canadian Defenders against Sam's Germans in FT157 The Lost Column. A good and entertaining game, but the dice hated me in that one. Yeah, I'm blaming it on the dice.

jeffwinto

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played Shumilino vs Paul Lauger.

Was making good progress with the russians until turn 4 when the German reinforcements arrived.

Paul had a solid defense that I could not crack.

Jeff

Danny Peeters

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Danny
Country
llBelgium
Paul Schorfheide and I are going to replay a part of the Battle of the Bulge; G6 Rocket"s Red Glare (The General #24.6 id G6). Paul will attack with his elite American para's a village in the Ardennes, which is well defended by my SS German troops.
With all that firepower amassed it will get bloody! :p:p:p
Well... it did get bloody...

The para's initial assault on the center got repulsed by some heavy fire and good shooting from the SS'ers. To add to the problems their Jackson TD got destroyed with an APCR shot on his first move. Even without support of their TD the brave para's pressed on and moved up on the West flank and prepared for a final jump to the victory buildings. But the Germans had time to redeploy and were in good positions to repulse the final trust and deny the victory buildings for a German win.

I enjoyed the game very much, thanks for the nice time Paul! :giggle:

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Lawrence Rohlfing's Russians will defend against Steffen Knippel's Hungarians in Galician Persuasion (SP231). This, in the US/Canada West league.
I conceded to Larry in the top of the 6th, as his Russians had effectively counterattacked in the bottom of the 5th.

This is a fun Evan Sherry design with high replayability. Mr Rohlfing also has high replayability - a fun and knowledgable opponent, I look forward to our next match.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The following players will join the Second Line League in the 2nd round:
Steve Anderson
Michal Sedlacko
trebosc francois
Frank J Costanzo
Greg Green
Rusty Shields
Michael Klautky
David Douglas
Maurizio
Euan Denniston
ShawN Decaluwe

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Playing Pat Palma in FrF51 - Bite of the Bassotto. My New Zealanders were pushing him back until one of his broken squads managed an interdiction heat of battle roll into fanatics, at which point my attack stalled and my desperate attempts to get it rolling again only led to my own forces crumbling. A fun scenario even so.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The first round of the Ersatz VASLeague 2020 will end in a week. Please finish your games and
report the result using the link I sent you in the pairing email.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Myself and Charles Hammond just finished a game of AP7 Directive No. 3.
The dice were really unfair to him with me getting most of my boundong fire shots hitting and him getting a grand total of 1. Eventually, this told as he lost sufficient vehicles to be unable to reach the total needed. Good game and I'm surprised I had never played such an old scenario.

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Bock played Mark Watson in FRF 89 Red Tears Shed on Gray. The Russian conscripts held tough, passing numerous critical MC to delay the Romanians enough for a win. It was a pleasure playing Mark.

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
I have registered my play of 48 Toujours l'audace with Stefano Piccardo. Although I had the upper hand suddenly with two CC withdrawals (one ambush and one 6,6) he managed to put Personnel again on the victory area and I had to sweat for it, winning just on the last CC roll of the last turn of the game. Great experience.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if ours is one of the AWOL pair, but in the East Coast League Jim Taylor’s Vichy French beat the snot out of my green Americans in Play Ball. My goal was to play an active defense, moving to parry each Vichy group in turn. The only action i was successful at was surrendering.