Errors in VASL PiF counters

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
(I may not have the latest VASL files, but then I'm not sure how to check that and my VASSAL installation seems to be a mess...)

I am currently playing a VASL PBEM game using the SS counters from PiF, and we noticed that the 4-3-7 SS counters seem to have some errors:

* the broken side of the 4-3-7 shows only 2 silhouettes, like a HS, and shows a Morale of 6 (instead of 7)

* the broken side of the 2-2-7 shows a Morale of 7 (instead of 6) - though it does have the correct 2 silhouettes.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There is no error.
VASL follows the way the physical units are rendred.

The two silhouettes for broken squads (and one for HS) are already present in the physical components of PiF - it is a design choice of BFP.
See page BFP7 of "Terrain rules" included in PiF.

The Green squads retain the 6 morale (i.e. one less than unbroken morale) of the official system - which applies a reduced morale to all squads. See BFP "Terrain rules" for PiF 3.3. (which states that Elite and 1st Line have "their broken side Morale printed one higher than typical Allied Minor MMC).
The 227 being elite, special rule 3.3. applies too.

Hardrada

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Bonjour Robin,

In fact it seems there is a mistake between the physical counters of the game (HS227 with a broken side at 6) and the vasl version.
In any case the 227 is not elite but the downsized version of the awful 437 green squad.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The PiF HBR file shows the 4-3-7 as having 7 Broken Morale, and 3 silhouettes on the counter (I haven't checked my physical counters, but this is what is shown in the file); the VASL version has only 6 ML (7 can be explained as "-1 because they are Green, +1 because they are SS"). Same goes for their 2-2-7 HS: PiF HBR shows 6ML (-1 Green, +1SS, -1HS: sounds OK) but VASL shows them with 7ML.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ah I see.
I thought that they were the Polish squads and HS.
Here is a scan of the physical counters (Polish 437-227 and SS 437-227) :
PiF (Small).jpg
And a capture of the VASL 437-227 SS :
PiFV.JPG

As you see, the number of figures on the broken side of the 437 is indeed not similar, but the broken morale values for the 437 squad and 227 HS are right.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Do you have the most recent PIF file ?
There were some bugs in the first versions.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Seems I don't have the right VASL file (I suppose it's not just because I'm using the black VASL counters).