ER Chaser Vs Tripps in Perimeter map

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ok, here we go.

Well, all the maps are from the woods at the bottom of the map for reference purposes.
I made some mistakes in picking ER's strategy, i picked his forces pretty good (just didnt count on there being so many of them!) but i thought he would defend the middle of the flags as well as the actual flags themselves.
I did this against POS - i had guns crossfiring into the flag areas.

Anyways, as it turns out ER did not do this at all, he did assign a certain amount of forces to each flag, with orders to stand fast and inflict as many casualties on me as possible.

So, first map - about 2 turns in i think:

From left, is the initial town assault units and forward scouts towards the marshes.
IIRC 2 x Airborne SMG pltns and 2 x Airborne Rifle Pltns - the T34's behind them are to sit and wait

In the forest is 4 x SMG pltns and half a rifle Pltn, to the left is a 82mm spotter and reg 82mm mortar, they provide some fire/smoke support to the town and marshes and the trees in between.

Some scouts and mortars cover the sailing club - scouts to see who is there, mortars to provide support once I assault there - 50mm + 82mm, with good LOS to all the trees on the far side on the lake (ended up being a bit of a waste because his units in between the lake and the woods and my side of the lake - where they couldnt really see)

Hills south side, 1 x airborne SMG, 1 x reg SMG pltns - Hills North side 1 x rifle and 1 x airborne SMG - these guys were all split, mainly because i thought i would encounter ER in the woods on either side and didnt want to take to many casualties crossing the open ground - but what I think this did was give ER the impression huge amounts of infantry were pouring into the area - the airborne SMG's come with 4 x 11 man squads, so split up give 9 markers per pltn, multiplied by all the units would give huge 'contacts'.
There is a T34 behind the trees, again, he is to wait.

Up top we have 2 pairs of SU-76's - the left hand pair open up on the academy along with the lmg's, split squad, and coy hq - who are the decoys - i wanted ER to race any AFV's up this way, but instead they came towards the hills.
The SU's were always going to try and provide cover with the railway station assault.

On a few turns to turn 5 or so:

The town assault starts, i lost a few guys early here, not expecting every bloody building to have guys in it - while some scouts start reconning the trees in between - i wanted them clear before moving my T34's around.
I'm probably dropping crappy 82mm's on the town by now (should have been bigger!) and i think the next turn a t34 starts area targeting the trees behind the town to make sure its clear.

In the woods we encounter a couple of pltns of German SMG's - and envelop.

Scouts advance towards the sailing club.

Hill assault starts from the south with mortar support (1x82mm and 1x50mm) - the north is not in synch so its tough going for the south assault.
The pltn heading south of the hills ends up getting disrupted by ER's hummels and grilles appearing on the runway, and end up backtracking.

The SU's up top are still laying waste to the academy, routing enemy units out, and towards me - the reason for this is because the corner buildings cannot exit into their adjoining buildings, nor into the square in the middle, the only way out is towards me - i didnt stack the corners against POS because of this, so its a turkey shoot at first.
the other 2 SU's are still hiding.

Turn 10 or so

T34's all lay waste to the trees (nothing is in there :( ) and the assault on the town is bogged down due to me mis-timing the smoke and underestimating enemy resistance.

The woods are cleared, the remaining blue you can see are all dead by the end of this turn - the talking point here is the lone vet smg squad on the right hand side of the woods, he heard something in the scattered trees and has snuck up to the edge of the woods -- i send the scouts forward towards to the sailing club to draw out anything and sure enough, some guys sit up in front of my SMG squad - even tho ER has set them to tiny cover arcs and hide - they still sit up from what i can see.
So the SMG squad opens up and rout/kill a HMG in 20 seconds, then finish off the LMG next to them 10 seconds later.
We talked about it for a while, cos ER still couldnt even see my squad - at all.
FOW :)

To the hills, the south assault gets some T34 support, and the north squads are now close enough to start providing long range support while some break off to start scouting the railway station.
I also send a SU around to assist the north assault group, while my academy attacking SU's peel off once i realise the academy lure has failed and everyone has done what they can.

turn 16

T34's help with the assault on the town and greatly help here, laying waste to the church and then hovel after hovel, getting my assault moving again - scouts start serious recon against he marsh while smg's from the woods start clearing the flank of the assault as i figured ER would have sent reinforcements here.

Pltns of SMG's start surrounding the sailing club.

My t34 has been knocked off (the cross) - this was a classic case of me spotting an ambush situation, and then mucking it up.
the other cross is a SU from way up north, who ive raced acrossed the map in the hope he can flank ER's hummel and grille ( i had already fluked a shot on another grille taking it out pretty much where my SU gets flanked by another hummel i didnt know about)
So lost 2 AFV's that sound, which i wasnt happy about.
Hills assault is now tough as hell, but because i have flanking forces, im making headway.

The recon of the railway is slow going because i only have 1 SU left with any decent amount of HE left, and he cannot shoot every tree ER has guys behind!

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Turn 21

Town is mine and my guys steam towards the marshes.

Sailing club is under assault from each end, while a pltn peal back towards towards the hills, because there is still lots of ER's guys running around and im outta ammo!

Railway station has bogged, long range HMG fire from the airfield, arty, and the distance i need to cover to close are making it a stalemate.
Lost another SU to a hummel top right, plus the SU supporting the hills assault died to - shrek had 4 shots while 4 meters away my SMG squad was to pinned to do anything about it...

Turn 27

Assault full steam ahead to beat the clock on the marshes, while i try something with my T34's.
I saw ER's AFV's swinging about to head towards the marshes, so i moved 1 T34 up to keep the HE coming, then sent 1 T34 through the roads and then left again to make ER think i hadnt seen what his AFV's were up and also provide some flanking HE while i watched to see what would happen.

Sure enough ER sends up a hummel along the runway, while his grille hangs back - the other Hummel sneaks around the back of the runway buildings, but thats ok, he cant see what im doing from there.
I send my last T34 through the woods to pop his hummel from the side, but he's moved forward the next turn just a few meters so i cant get him - but now ER knows im there.
The next turn is interesting, and i'll probably have to put up some screen shots of what happened in the duel, but essentially i lose a t34 for a hummel and grille - and then i find out the whole time my Vet t34's and SU's have been losing big time to a Green and a Conscript Hummel! :( :( :(
these guys are just outta high school and been mauling my kursk survivors :(

the only good news is i manage to get my guys up close to the railway station, knowing its now neutralised.

End

as you can see, shitloads of ER's guys are everywhere, even a cheeky batt HQ is in the woods! but luckily not close enough to neutralise (my guys were on non-stop scouting for this, i knew ER was a sneaky sod!)

I managed to clear the hills - just! - even places where multiple squads had passed through still had hidden guys in them... :freak:

My Questions for ER would be why didnt he counter with the guys by the hills? they could have really hurt me as i had no ammo left really.
Also why he didnt pull guys off the wheatfields and academy?
Did my fakes work?

Anyways, i better hit the sack, not sure if anyone wants more screenies of the duels but we'll see.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Well written, Tripps, I enjoyed it so much! :)

Here are some answers and points to your questions/comments :)

1) The fake on the academy. hmm.. it worked only to the extend that I thought about moving the tanks that way, but I did not find any good route to move them, so I just left it.
2) Those are not hummels! ... You saw them, they are Hetzers! :)
3) The HMG part, yes, the most interesting part :) The whole contingent was elminated without even a sound contact. Looks like they were killed by Kongfu Panda.
4) I mostly just wanted to see how much punch the Russian can offer toward the static defense I put there. At the point that I see clearly what your plan is, I think you already proved your point that Russian has a very decent chance to win this scenario. That is why I did not bother to really mobilize my infantries. Moving tanks are fine and a lot easier/faster, so I just swung them around to help a bit.
5) For a very long time in setup, I hesitated whether or not put any defense at all in the woods sector. I know my SMGs are no match for the Russian ones and hence that sector is literally undefendable. But eventually I chose to follow whatever I did with POS and put them there.
6) The only difference between the POS game and this one for my side is that I replaced a panther with 1 hetzer and 2 conscript Grilles. (at additional cost of probably some LMG or something, did not check the details.)

CMant

Reaction score
Some close pics would be nice , when you have time . The Academy , and the duel with the Hummel or Hetzer .

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Some close pics would be nice , when you have time . The Academy , and the duel with the Hummel or Hetzer .
hopefully Tripps can help you with that. I do not have the save files any more. :)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good shots Tripps, makes the AAR much more interesting to read about.
Thanks for doing it guys. :D

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ok, the duel at the end - and yes, they were Hetzers, it was late at night writing that little narrative and for whatever reason had hummel stuck in my head...:eek:

So, my little trap is set:

Black line is the T34 from the turn before, while the red one is where his mate sat and watched to see what happened.
Aha, the Hetzer moves forward and I plot the Red T34 to ambush from the side
(at this point the other Hetzer is top right of your screen while the Grille is shelling my guys)

Ah crap, ER's Het moves forward just a little bit more this turn and now he knows im there

So the game began - who was going to do what?
As it turns out ER gets his Grille to area target while reversing hoping to Imm my T34 - I set this T34 forward to hunt the Grille - meanwhile my other T34 start racing around the trees.
Then ER's other Het turns up and these guys start slugging it out...

Even though I fire off 2-3 times faster than ER and hit him several times, the freakin conscript Het manages 1 solitary hit, which results in:

Even after he knocked me out the Het still keeps firing and never manages to hit me again - umm ok you little conscript kids fresh outta school, if no one is moving and you just hit, dont fiddle with the optics or targeting hydrolics ok? :)

Then I flick to the other T34 to see what fate has befallen him, lo and behold, he BOGS just as he clears the trees....

Luckily he was cool calm and collected:

He then unbogs himself in the same turn, retreating to safety, almost making me believe he did it on purpose...

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
my question is a bit surprising to you guys ... maybe :D ... Hey, Tripps, what mod are you using? It looks stunning! :)

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Which part? To be honest ages ago I downloaded heaps of high Res mods and jammed them all in my BB folder - I couldnt tell you where each one came from... but i could send a dvd with my bmp folder on it, its only 1.5 GB :)

keep in mind I have enlarged the AFV's in those screenshots....