ER Chaser Vs Tripps in Perimeter map

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ok - this is where ER and I can trash talk each other (and everybody else can feel free to join in)

It seems (and it is still kinda early) that the recent Perimeter map favours the Axis, so im thinking the Allies can do well, even against someone as tough as ER...

Lets see if I can put my money where my mouth is...:blab::blab::blab:

Ok, so force composition is simple, an unstoppable force - seems easy:

Good luck taking it on frontally, and with a couple IS-2's covering its flanks, i'll just rumble around picking him off....

Ok, nah, I wont be taking that :p but IS-2's are freakishly cheap for their stats...

Picks have been sent to ER, awaiting his return email and then I can start placing...

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
holy ***** .... oh mama .... that is surely scary .... LOL .... :)

We do not have anything yet, and it already made an AAR!!! How amazing ... I wish my company just goes like that ----- nothing yet, but it already IPO :D ...

Waleed

Reaction score
Country
ll
Good on you Tripps..but I reckon ER's Germans will hold off your Soviets and win...!

...imo, there are around 4 good places to attack (everyone will have a different view though, map is so varied) - if the defender defends 3 of them averagely, one strongly and keeps a reserve he'll win.

In my game v POS I defended every single flag...bit of a mistake :surprise:...the game started going better when I realised my blunder.

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
...imo, there are around 4 good places to attack (everyone will have a different view though, map is so varied)
I dunno, every flag is vulnerable - say for example the Academy, looks pretty tough with its moat and all - I would have thought to tough for anything apart from a major Russian assault - but how much is the Axis player going to spend to defend it?
100 points buys a cheap mortar spotter for smoke, and for under 300 you have a whole vet SMG company, sneak them up, smoke, in you go. :smoke:

In my game v POS I defended every single flag...bit of a mistake :surprise:...the game started going better when I realised my blunder.
Not at all, I did the same thing - a ring of defense with forward scouts. Once I identified his thrust points I could pull everthing but a skeleton force off the other areas and move to counter.
Is your game finished now?

Waleed

Reaction score
Country
ll
I dunno, every flag is vulnerable - say for example the Academy, looks pretty tough with its moat and all - I would have thought to tough for anything apart from a major Russian assault - but how much is the Axis player going to spend to defend it?
100 points buys a cheap mortar spotter for smoke, and for under 300 you have a whole vet SMG company, sneak them up, smoke, in you go. :smoke:

Not at all, I did the same thing - a ring of defense with forward scouts. Once I identified his thrust points I could pull everthing but a skeleton force off the other areas and move to counter.
Is your game finished now?

I take your point :)
...but it is a Tourney to get the highest score. POS and I are on T25 - should be a Tactical Win for me. I would have done better by not defending every single flag and having a better reserve in better positions.

Looking forward to seeing how you do, but if I was a betting man, I'd say 4-1 odds on ER winning :)

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
...but it is a Tourney to get the highest score. POS and I are on T25 - should be a Tactical Win for me. I would have done better by not defending every single flag and having a better reserve in better positions.

Looking forward to seeing how you do, but if I was a betting man, I'd say 4-1 odds on ER winning :)
You are VERY wise, Waleed :D .. lol

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ah yes, I see - I mentioned that in my AAR, how I played to 'win' - but not to beat POS by the most - so I get your point now :)

ER and I are not doing that, as far as I know, our point is to prove the Russians can just straight out win on this map :)

Waleed

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ah, right, understood...!

...in that case I reckon a 60% chance of ER winning and 40% chance of Tripps winning.

Becomes chess like -

...can Tripps break through fast enough and hurt ER,
...or will Tripps capture all 8 outlying flags and ignore the big flag,
...will ER have a reserve or not,
...and if he does will it react in time..?!?

My odds are on ER, due to the better internal lines of movement for the Germans.

Oh, and I am assuming a 56-44 win being the minimum aim for the Russians :D

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Well we are off, about to see if there will be any initial contact.

Im guessing ER took about 40-50% in Inf, 30-40% in support, and 10-30% in Armour - of that, the armour will be a plt of Hetzers, a Tigger (or something else big) and another solo JpzIV or something. :)

I think ER likes to play with green-regular inf, and a decent amount of support - he kinda plays like me inna way, relying on Inf-Support, with AFV's used cautiously - punching to make an impact.

I also think he knows I know, so he could surprise the hell out of me...

Or maybe he knows I know he knows - arghhhhh

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
maybe you are right, Tripps.... just ... just that ... what is a Tigger? Like triPPs? :)

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Update: Turn 5

Contacts:

1. Academy:
Scouts moved forward, encountered HMG fire from building, call in direct fire HE and like rats from a sinking ship the buildings start ejecting green Volksturm Militia half squads and a Green HMG. They are panicking and running but wheres there some rats there is bound to be more!
Also looks like ambush units in front of the fords, clearing now.

2. Woods:
Units have encountered a platoon guarding the shed and have engaged, sounds of more enemy behind so getting ready for a war of CQB.

3. Wheat fields. So far nothing encountered, but im not moving fast enough there, i expect ER has his troops stationed soley on the flag.

4. Seaside town, my units have come from the corner hill above, HMG fire from the Church and small buildings in front, taken a few hits in some squads but nothing they cannot handle. Looking to close soon under light mortar cover and see whats really there.

5. Hills. Units located, skirmish and harrassing fire so far as we close.

ER called off a Arty strike to the woods between the Hills and the Railway, looks like 81-120mm stuff, must have a spotter close by.

So far estimates of ER's force are correct, green infantry :)
Waiting to encounter his support guns and AFV's next before unleashing my thousands of tanks :)

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Turn 10 Update.

ER has crap loads of infantry, every patch of trees, every shack and hovel is totally infested with rats, I should have brought a whole bunch of FT HT and cleansed and burned my way in :)
Incidently, the areas in between the objectives are pretty much empty - so it appears ER has assigned a certain force to each flag, and thats it for them, no retreat, no surrender, no reinforcements! :eek:gre:

So, Academy:
Still having trouble crossing the fords, im wanting my scouting forces to cross first and secure a bridgehead so I can get my SMG's up close without being cut down in the water - as it is, every scout that goes forward gets cut down and then I have to clear that area - next scout, another ambush, clear the area - rinse, repeat. In short, stalemate at this point - although I think ER has lost more than I have at this point.

Woods:
ER looks like he had 2 platoons of SMG's plus a shreck or so guarding this area.
It is now cleared and in my possession - my guys MtC, then enveloped on the contact and routed him.

Wheat fields:
All quiet on the Eastern Front...

Seaside Town:
Heavy fighting, ER has half squads everywhere on short cover arcs, i've pushed in from an angle and heading up to the Church - I really need heavy direct HE or heavy arty here to help.

Hills:
More heavy figthing, i'm closing in from both sides, slower that I thought however with the appearance of 3 Hummels keeping me from surrounding him.
I'm sure the hills are about to become mine tho.

Other developments:
Railway station - engaging at the moment from long range, one of my AFV's area targetting took a target of opportunity taking out one of the Hummels from 800 yards first shot.

Again im sure ER called off an arty strike on my guys attacking the hills, the first salvo landed and I was not looking forward to it landing, but then nothing - so happy about that!

Taktik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great stuff. Thank you for posting the updates, Tripps.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
I think I am losing badly now :)

Tripps has indeed a very effective approach to this map. I probably will stay corrected very soon :) Good work, Tripps!

CMant

Reaction score
ER won a major victory in the Perimeter tournament . Did you use the same units here ER ?

Tripp , good report , could you give us a picture of the map with some arrows on it maybe ?

Tripps

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I will shortly, otherwise could be giving some things away :)

ER I think is mostly using the same units/strategy - except he probably knew POS would take lots of AFV and so had hetzers while against me he has a couple of Hummels and StuG's.

I just found that out the hard way - put a T34 into a shootout with what I thought was 2 Hummels - as it turns out, the rear 'hummel' was a StuG, so while i was showing my useless shooting skilks against his Hummel, his StuG was lining me up - meh!

What was also annoying was in plotting for the T34 I was thinking to myself I should MtC here into this little ambush point, and then reverse before he can shoot back.
And you know what? I didnt, I left the T34 sitting there and didnt remember until after I had sent the email - so I knew what was going to happen when I got the return file...:cry:

No fixed guns or mortars that i can see yet, which is surprising - and a little annoying, because in a couple of places I was going to place fixed guns of my own but didnt thinking ER would just counter with mortars... :(
(I really need those guns in a couple of places!)

So yeah, ER saying he's losing badly is all propoganda :p