Equal to or

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Ok this has to be the dumbest question ever asked but when typing less then or equal to or greater then or equal to is there a way to get the symbols for those ie. the arrows on an equal sign.
Please no throwing rotten fruit.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There are many ways, some of which depend on the context. If you are talking about here on gamesquad, the easiest way is to underline a less-than "<", e.g. "<". You can also insert a true less-than-or-equal unicode character. The less-than-or-equal-to is unicode character U+2264 (unicode characters are numbered starting at at zero, with the "U+" just indicating that the thing that follows is a (hexadecimal) unicode character code), so on my computer (debian linux) I hit ctrl-shift-u, 2264, <space>, "≤", to get a true unicode less-than-or-equal (which has a slightly different appearance (in my font anyway) than the underlined less-than. The method for inserting a unicode character may be different on your OS. There are also "special character picker windows", but those will be OS- and sometimes program-dependent (e.g. I believe MS Word has a special character picker in the menu somewhere). If you are writing HTML, the sequences "&le;" or "&#8804;" or "&#x2264;" will work.

JR

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Windows has the Character Map utility. The default font here in GS is Verdana and in the "search for" field just enter "equal" and you will get all variations "=͇≈≠≤≥꞊", just pick the one you want.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a link for the keys to use to type various symbols. For example hold down the Alt Key and type 0176 (not on the list but very use full for the degree symbol) °.
https://wikispaces.psu.edu/display/training/More+Windows+Keyboard+Shortcuts+for+Symbols

Here is the information contained in the chart.
If you like keyboard shortcuts and use special characters, here are a few more for Microsoft Windows. Use your numeric keypad with your NUM LOCK on and you will be good to go!

Symbol
Description
Shortcut

paragraph sign
ALT+0182
±
plus-or-minus sign
ALT+0177
µ
micro
ALT+0181

en dash
ALT+8211

em dash
ALT+8212

dagger
ALT+8224

double dagger
ALT+8225

per mille sign
ALT+8240

leftwards arrow
ALT+8592

upwards arrow
ALT+8593

rightwards arrow
ALT+8594

downwards arrow
ALT+8595

left-right arrow
ALT+8596

carriage return
ALT+8629

empty set
ALT+8709

element of
ALT+8712

not an element of
ALT+8713

contains as member
ALT+8715

radical sign (square root)
ALT+8730

proportional to
ALT+8733

infinity
ALT+8734

angle
ALT+8736

logical or
ALT+8744

intersection
ALT+8745

union
ALT+8746

integral
ALT+8747

therefore
ALT+8756

tilde operator
ALT+8764

congruent to
ALT+8773

almost equal to; asymptotic to
ALT+8776

not equal to
ALT+8800

identical to
ALT+8801

less-than or equal to
ALT+8804

greater-than or equal to
ALT+8805

subset of
ALT+8834

superset of
ALT+8835

not a subset of
ALT+8836

subset of or equal to
ALT+8838

superset of or equal to
ALT+8839

perpendicular
ALT+8869

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Thanks I never would have thought of underlining the arrow keys
And thanks for all the rest

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Me neither. I stole it from someone else who was doing the same.

Another solution to the general problem, BTW, it to find the character displayed somewhere, then copy and paste it. This is a poor-man's "special character picker window." I dislike special character picker windows because by the time I remember how to start the thing then search for the item I want, I've lost interest. So for instance every so often I want a five-pointed star. I google for "unicode star", pick a likely page (http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_stars.html), copy & paste. Voilà, a star is born: ★

JR

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me neither. I stole it from someone else who was doing the same.

Another solution to the general problem, BTW, it to find the character displayed somewhere, then copy and paste it. This is a poor-man's "special character picker window." I dislike special character picker windows because by the time I remember how to start the thing then search for the item I want, I've lost interest. So for instance every so often I want a five-pointed star. I google for "unicode star", pick a likely page (http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_stars.html), copy & paste. Voilà, a star is born: ★

JR
Many times the smartest man in the discussion is the one with the best Google skills.

Mike

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
< or > .............hey I discovered a new secret.