EOI and KA - Another Win

bill44

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
After beating EOI but losing KA yesterday I had another go, this time though I was determined to keep my distance, well the battle went better than i could have imagined.
I don't belive that there is anything wrong with the gunnery model at all, though I did see a pattern during my hour long duel with EOI.
I sailed on a couse parallel to her and for the stat of the battle kept my speed to 18knots, I hit her on my fourth salvo, in the bow on her port side, after which my gunnery dropped off then picked up then dropped off.
As to the pattern I spoke of earlier, my salvo would land over then over by a shorter margin, then fall short, then bracket but be off at the stern, then bracket again but be off forward, generally by this time my tertiary battery was hitting her, then the next salvo would land just short, the next would hit, and so it went on. I was always confident that when those small shells were hitiing the big one would follow and was never let down, I cant explain it, maybe some of you may have a theory, I am also at a loss aas to why she could hit the EOI, then miss on the next salvo by a wide margin.
So to the pics, the first four show the inital salvos, note the hit on number four, then the fifth was close in forward, the nthe gunnery fell off, EOI's shooting was woefull :laugh: as you will see fromm the damage to KA.
I did speed up then, dropped back as her speed fell off due to the port side damage my heavy shells all hit her hull on the waterline, i also changed course a couple of times as we were on a converhing course and I also wanted to keep my arcs opened up to keep all my heavys on her, for most of the battle she was only able to bring her forward turrets to bear on me.
The final shots show her demise this happend quickly, and the portside list probably was the main factor, she was hit by 3 30cm shells which landed on or in her third turret (if you look closly at it in the screen shot you will notice a penetration mark) and also penetrated the deck, that set of her aft magazine and she went under in about 30 seconds.
I suffered only triffling damage, with 49 casuaties.

PepsiCan

Reaction score
Country
ll
As to your question why a salvo hits and the next one misses I have a suspicion.

1) the role and pitch of the ship. Despite the fact that these ships are large and chunky, they do role. So, getting your firing moment slightly off may cause the salvo to be slightly off
2) the shock wave from the guns can impact the shells of the other guns. This can cause some slight deviations and random error
3) the wind and air conditions may also play a role, although I am not sure of this.

So, that once you have found the range and scored a hit, you then do not continuously hit is not uncommon from what I know.

bill44

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As to your question why a salvo hits and the next one misses I have a suspicion.

1) the role and pitch of the ship. Despite the fact that these ships are large and chunky, they do role. So, getting your firing moment slightly off may cause the salvo to be slightly off
2) the shock wave from the guns can impact the shells of the other guns. This can cause some slight deviations and random error
3) the wind and air conditions may also play a role, although I am not sure of this.

So, that once you have found the range and scored a hit, you then do not continuously hit is not uncommon from what I know.
Sounds fair and reasonable to me mate, I also considered the fact that the concussion from the guns will have an effect on the optics, and more impotantly the crew who man the guns and optics.

kotori87

Reaction score
That's why the British couldn't super-fire their guns on ships like Warspite and Queen Elizabeth. "B" turret and "C" turret couldn't fire over the bow and stern, because it would destroy the optics for "A" turret and "D" turret. The Germans (and Americans, and several other nations) had better-designed optics on their turrets, so they could super-fire their guns.

PepsiCan, you came up with some good explanations as to why a ship can hit once and miss the next shot. That doesn't make it any less annoying, though...