Entry Hexes on RB CG IV (Bled White) - Day 01

jcr1968es

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi All,

This is my first post here, so I'm a little bit nervous, lol.

We're beginning a RB CG IV campaign a we have doubts about German entry hexes... basically it they could come in along A45-A1 or just along A22-A1.

ISSR IV.3 says "reinforcement units may enter the map as per CG9 (German only)"

ISSR IV.4 says "hexes of the German entry area as considered German Controlled"

CG9 - GERMAN INFANTRY/AFV RG gives entry hexes based on date, so for 25 October it lists "on/between A45 and U1".

BUT (there's always a but), CG IV Initial Russian OB sets up a perimeter beginning on A22, so it seems A45-A22 is NA to Germans.

Any toughs on this....

Thanks a lot,
jcr

Tumtatty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi JCR,

I think it means that you have the Possibility of entering on any hex on the A column.

However it must be friendly controlled before you can do so. You have control of those hexes before you can enter on them.

I'd love a verification though.

Thanks!

jcr1968es

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Maybe, but...

hi Tumttaty

Tumtatty said:
However it must be friendly controlled before you can do so. You have control of those hexes before you can enter on them.
But there's a Perry Sez answer saying those hexes are front line, even if Russian Controlled, so in CG I - CG III they should be entry hexes no matter who controls them (I don't know if there's something in CG IV preventing that).

Also footnote 16 Chapter O (referred in CG9) says that German were never far from the West edge and after 23 October, they indeed attacked from that flank.

So, I would love also a clarification, ;)

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I believe the German can enter down to A45 even though A22-A45 is Russian Controlled. The rule aboout German entry is more than a bit confusing (IMHO) though, and I will surely bug Perry to rewrite it, if/when RB is to be reprinted.

My reasoning is as following: If you read the rule without the exception, it says:

"enter on north-/west-edge land hex(es) depending on the current CG Day: ... On/after 23 October - on/between A45 and U1"

This part does not say anything about Control, so if the rule lacked the exception, the German would clearly be able to enter on A45.

Then there's the exception of course, saying: "[EXC: entry is always allowed on/between A9 and N0, as well as via any edge; that is currently friendly- Controlled and was friendly-Controlled at scenario start]"

If read alone, it is (IMHO) pretty clear that this exception does not restrict the German entry, but rather expands it, by saying that A9-N0 is always legal, and that any edge hex -- in addition to the ones listed per date -- is legal if German-controlled.

What's mystifying with this interpretation though is the blurb about A9-N0. Since at least A9-U1 is legal regardless of the exceptions, this part of the exception is completely meaningless. This is normally an indication that my interpretation is incorrect, but I cannot understand the text any other way.

As for the Russian perimtere covering A22-A45: This means that the Russian can set up in those hexes, and even have reserves there (in those hexes that is far enough away from the German perimeter), making it much harder for the German to sucessfuly enter here.

jcr1968es

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Ole Boe said:
What's mystifying with this interpretation though is the blurb about A9-N0. Since at least A9-U1 is legal regardless of the exceptions, this part of the exception is completely meaningless. This is normally an indication that my interpretation is incorrect, but I cannot understand the text any other way.
Agreed, I can't figure out why the exception should say that, except for a follow up campaign 's SSR requiring German to control entry hexes and Germans being erased from the mapboard. Only in that circunstances the always in the exception may be meaningful.

Ole Boe said:
As for the Russian perimtere covering A22-A45: This means that the Russian can set up in those hexes, and even have reserves there (in those hexes that is far enough away from the German perimeter), making it much harder for the German to sucessfuly enter here.
Also agreed, in CG IV it is even worse for Russians, since IV.4 declares German entry hexes as German Controlled, so no Russians there. Germans can't setup in those hexes but nice things like Offboard Observers may be there.

Thanks a lot for your answering... I just posted the other thread to relax the CG IV condition (the answer for general RB would hold for CG IV).

Greets,
jcr

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hi

Note that a Perry sez (I believe) says that possible entry hexes for germans must be considered when setting up russian reserves.

Bjørnar

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Bjoernar said:
Note that a Perry sez (I believe) says that possible entry hexes for germans must be considered when setting up russian reserves.
I'm not aware of any such Perry sez (but it may still exist).

However, CG9 says: "Russians may still set up in their friendly-Controlled Locations, even if such a Location is in a potential German entry hex [EXC: as per 11.51's Russian setup restrictions for CG Day 17/10]."

And the reserve rule says: "Each Reserve RG purchased may (at purchaser's option) automatically include up to five Dummy Cloaking counters. Such an RG must have all its Cloaking counters set up at ground level ≥ six hexes from the closest enemy Front Line Location (on CG Day 17/10, each potential German entry hex is considered a Front Line Location for purposes of this rule)."

So I see that the restriction you mention is true for CG day 17/10, but not for any other CG days.

jcr1968es

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Bjoernar said:
Bjørnar
Thanks for pointing this out, I've checked now and it gives a hint about entry hexes, but only as a byside of the example given by the poster.

Anyway, now that I've read and re-read RB rules regarding setup, entry and placement, ;), it seems (11.6194 c, reference to 17/10 in the middle of the paragraph) that it may be questionable that all entry hexes are Front Line locations for Reserve setup... but probably I'm just getting a little bit crazier than I was before....