Entry hex

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all.
Anoher silly question. I read A2.51, but dont know how it works if the first hex entered is a level 1 hill.

How many MF do the offboard infantry pay to get into the board, one or two MF? And if its a level 1 wooded hill? two or four?

Thx in advance

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
A2.51 If using part of a board with a hill divided by the onboard/offboard line, what level are the offboard hill hexes at?

A. Ordinarily, such hexes are at level 0, barring an SSR or special (e.g., HASL) rule.

I have seen as many play by this ruling as I have seen play against this ruling. IMO, just make sure you and your opponent are on the same page either way. For a tourney, I would say the Q&A speaks for itself, though.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
If you use board 3, hex G10 as an example the cost to enter 3G10 for Infantry would be 2 MF (4 MF for wooded hill), a vehicle would pay be the usual 4 MP+COT (in addition to other terrain in the hex).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
A2.51 If using part of a board with a hill divided by the onboard/offboard line, what level are the offboard hill hexes at?

A. Ordinarily, such hexes are at level 0, barring an SSR or special (e.g., HASL) rule.

I have seen as many play by this ruling as I have seen play against this ruling. IMO, just make sure you and your opponent are on the same page either way. For a tourney, I would say the Q&A speaks for itself, though.
The Q&A does speak for itself, unresolved.
There is no rule.
The answer is vague.
Its the same thing as saying ...."Ordinarily, a squad has 4MF..."
Vague....
Just use common sense,
Use the rule as the ROAD rule is written..."as if the board were being used and not Cropped"
The scenario should've included SSR to clarify, but it's clear that they probably assumed it was the same level.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

When I see a scenario I proofread with a "cropped" hill I always raise the question on how to treat the offboard hexes. Especially if the first "on-map" hex is at Level 2 or higher. Often an SSR is added.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
When I see a scenario I proofread with a "cropped" hill I always raise the question on how to treat the offboard hexes. Especially if the first "on-map" hex is at Level 2 or higher. Often an SSR is added.
Thats the case. PTO scenario with cropped board and lots of terrain (hills with kunai and jungle) in the entrance hexes... And not to much time for the attacker. The Q&A looks clear, but maybe not fair. I suppose the playtesters played it by the Q&A.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thats the case. PTO scenario with cropped board and lots of terrain (hills with kunai and jungle) in the entrance hexes... And not to much time for the attacker. The Q&A looks clear, but maybe not fair. I suppose the playtesters played it by the Q&A.
Maybe the ROAR balance could provide a clue on how to interpret it for that scenario: If it is much 'pro defender' this might indicate that the intention was to play the offboard-hexes as being same-level (i.e. mirrored terrain).

Even if not, then it might make sense to treat it that way in this case.

von Marwitz

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Which scenario is it?
Bfp 63 or 65... I cant remember exact number, the one with the two matilda ft tanks. I will play both this week as japanese.
Half of australian forces get into board from north side... Small hill on top of that board with dense jungle or enter thru open ground.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Bfp 63 or 65... I cant remember exact number, the one with the two matilda ft tanks. I will play both this week as japanese.
Half of australian forces get into board from north side... Small hill on top of that board with dense jungle or enter thru open ground.
BFP65 - in this one - per the Q&A -offboard hexes O8 and O9 are Open Ground at Level 0.

Seeing as the Japanese might set up in the hexes along the board edge, entering there could be risky as it is. :)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Maybe the ROAR balance could provide a clue on how to interpret it for that scenario: If it is much 'pro defender' this might indicate that the intention was to play the offboard-hexes as being same-level (i.e. mirrored terrain).

Even if not, then it might make sense to treat it that way in this case.

von Marwitz
The Q&A is clear but doesn't answer the question.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
BFP65 - in this one - per the Q&A -offboard hexes O8 and O9 are Open Ground at Level 0.

View attachment 15202

Seeing as the Japanese might set up in the hexes along the board edge, entering there could be risky as it is. :)
But the Q&A simply states "ordinarily" This isn't ordinary. its not a board edge, its a Cropped board. The playing area is restricted and technically isn't the "ordinary" board edge....all but 4-6 boards have L0 as the hexes at board edges. Thus, the "ordinarily" answer is correct, but doesn't answer this question.
The designers need to realize this and submit a SSR to REALLY clear it up. IF you use the "roads off the map rule" (logical), then you would use whatever terrain that is next to the Playing area as Actual, but OG....unfortunately, it doesn't really say that.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
The Q&A is clear but doesn't answer the question.
I think, after reading it, that is clear, but the word “ordinarily” maybe is out of place. As always happens to me, is english and difficult to properly understand. Off board hexes are always level cero, but a SSR or HASL can change that ( so it is not a hard or core rule that cannot be changed)

edit: I didnt read your last answer before i sent mine... I see your point...

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Play it how you wish...Just wish designers would include information to alleviate the confusion, as the answer isn't in the RB

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think you are putting too much meaning into "ordinarily" in the answer to be honest. It doesn't mean the Q&A is meant to only apply to offboard hexes on non-cropped maps. But the Q&A is unofficial - so one can play it pretty much how one wants to. :)

If designers wants the off-map part of a board to be in play, they need an SSR.

As in scenario 112, J152 e.g.,:
"Contrary to A2.51, off-map terrain exists as depicted."

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I think you are putting too much meaning into "ordinarily" in the answer to be honest. It doesn't mean the Q&A is meant to only apply to offboard hexes on non-cropped maps. But the Q&A is unofficial - so one can play it pretty much how one wants to. :)

Yep, that is required but often left out.

Romania Mare has this issue and its a matter of 4MF for infantry that don't have a lot of time in the game to begin with.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

How do you know when a Q&A is "official"?