Entrenching in EA - Artillery and HQs

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
From the EA house rules:

"Entrenching: most units have a capability to ‘dig in’, which strengthens their defensive capability and limits supply. Unfortunately these entrenchments do not disappear with the unit, but remain throughout the game. It is quite possible to deliberately cover most of the map with these, which slows the game enormously. Suggested limitations would be adjacent to or one hex from enemy units; in or adjacent to dense urban hexes; on or adjacent to national borders, or riverlines; in ports, beachheads or towns, in existing fortifications, or single hexes needed to prolong an entrenched line to the next eligible point."

Stefan (Telumar) and I are playing with these restrictions. My problem is artillery corps (now that I got them) and HQs. I don't want them in the frontline, but behind. I want them to be able to support. Which means they have to be in D/E/F or T, correct? If I dig them in, however, I violate the house rule. If I put them in T, at least HQs will advance into the frontline as a tactical reserve and get trashed. Or am I seeing things there?

So?

samba_liten

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I have not seen HQ's actually advance into the front-line since i started playing the Matrix edition. I thought it had been fixed. At least as long as you use tactical reserve. I don't use local reserve, so about that i do not know.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Samba is right. Hq's and artillery units in tactical reserve will not advance into the frontline since Matrix edition.

Please note that Hq's units in EA don't have fire support capability. Their artillery value is 0.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Quoting from your quote of the EA House Rules (emphasize by me): "Suggested limitations would be adjacent to or one hex from enemy units"

This means you can dig them in behind your frontline when i have units adjacent to your front, doesn't it?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Quoting from your quote of the EA House Rules (emphasize by me): "Suggested limitations would be adjacent to or one hex from enemy units"
I totally missed that one. Never dug in behind the first line. Serves me well for not reading properly. :(