Entering WARS Reports from previous scenarios played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
With WARS now having moved into a ratings system, we now invite you to submit game reports that you had played before joining up to our ladder to build up the ratings data. Previously we only, as a general rule, allowed reports to be submitted when both players were members of our ladder at the time the game concluded.

But with a change now to reflect an emphasis on rating ability, adding additional game reports in won't "flood" the laddeer as it would have under the old system. So... by all means, start those historical reports coming in and your rating will become an ever more accurate reflection of your ability and hold a record of all the scenarios you have played.

Important Note: If you are entering games you finished some time ago, please remember to change the date on the game report. The date is important so that the new games you add can be correctly "slotted in" to their historical order and so that ratings from subsequent games can also be correctly determined.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
da priest said:
Hmm..any other requirements, like getting permission from your opponent first?
Provided you lost, Ron, I don't see that being an issue! :laugh:

But, yes, probably best to check.

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reepicheep said:
With WARS now having moved into a ratings system, we now invite you to submit game reports that you had played before joining up to our ladder to build up the ratings data. Previously we only, as a general rule, allowed reports to be submitted when both players were members of our ladder at the time the game concluded.

But with a change now to reflect an emphasis on rating ability, adding additional game reports in won't "flood" the laddeer as it would have under the old system. So... by all means, start those historical reports coming in and your rating will become an ever more accurate reflection of your ability and hold a record of all the scenarios you have played.

Important Note: If you are entering games you finished some time ago, please remember to change the date on the game report. The date is important so that the new games you add can be correctly "slotted in" to their historical order and so that ratings from subsequent games can also be correctly determined.
Andrew, we have tournament records going back a number of years (1997?) that could be reported. What is the procedure with players who are perhaps no longer playing or are not on SZO? Can these guys be entered into the system?

=Jim=

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do you load up your past opponent if they are not part of the ladder yet (or not even on the forums). :shock:

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Andrew, in light of the opinions of others on other threads regarding the new WARS system, I have no problem with not reporting very old matches I have played. Having said that, posting results from the last 6 months to a year or so should not be a problem.

I regret the loss of scenario data but it is more from a rating POV that I decide to do this.

<place humility hat on :) >

I have had my fair share of success in tournaments in the past and all things being equal, I would rather start from recent game results as opposed to a place determined from past very old playings. The new rating that will be generated will be a better reflection of my current level of play ...

... which now sucks BTW!!!!!

:)

=Jim=

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Andrew, this may have been asked before and forgive me if it has, but how is a player who is not on SZO registered into WARS?

=Jim=

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andrew,

I second Jim's request for information on how to enter tournament results. I have about 200 matches from this year's ASL OPEN I would like to enter.

To do so, I would need access to actual names and the ability to sign up and enter results.

Any possibility of modifying the ladder to allow for these procedures?

David Goldman

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
David & Jim,

The goal is to set you guys up to be able to enter tournament results en masse, including the limited ability to add players into the system who are not currently registered.

Currently not everything is in place. But we are gunning to have it done by the time CASLO rolls around so that Jim can enter his results in "real-time" as they happen.

At the moment, from what I can tell, I could let you guys do everything except enter multiple scenarios in one hit. So David, for example... if you wanted to enter the results in individually, I can set you up to allow you to do that and to add new players who aren't currently registered on WARS.

Probably easiest if we take the details of how to do so by email. Send me an email at nugteren@aanet.com.au and we can get down to specifics.

Regards,
Andrew

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Hmm..any other requirements, like getting permission from your opponent first?
Yes, this is a must. Some players (not me) are picky about "ladder games" and "non-ladder games." I don't really understand this line of reasoning myself, but I do think Ron has a valid point in suggesting that getting persmission should be a requirement.

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,

At least for the OPEN, I make it plain that wherever I can, I will enter results. I use rankings to determine seedings in the OPEN after the initial seeds of 5+ games won in the prior OPEN are made.

David Goldman

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Brent,

I was just checking out the WARS site for ASL and all the game data is MIA?

The players are still ranked but the games played stuff, etc. is not there.

=Jim=

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Working Correctly ???

I tried adding a game report for an older game (Sept 7, 2004) - which was older than the earliest game which I previously had entered.

I am not sure that the score was calculated as adverstiesed (the score was supposed to be retroactivly applied based on the chronology of the games played and the ratings of the players based on that time)

Since this game is now the 1st game (I assumed that it would be handled as a rating of 5000 and adjusted from there). But it appeared to use the current rating and adjusted, thus giving some strange results. Perhaps this particular set of circumstances was not forseen.

Perhaps the original programmers could take a peek.

If there is a bug, I assume the TD's would like to know before they spend a lot of time loading up older results.

Last edited:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It's not quite a bug, but you're correct, the behaviour is not as expected when you enter. BUT... we have the tools to fix it and let me explain why the odd behaviour is showing up below:

If I can explain briefly, everytime an older report gets added into the system, all future game reports that involve that player (and any player who has played them since, and any player who has played one of those players, etc...) needs to be adjusted ever so slightly to take into account rating changes. Obviously with a player who has played many other players, there is a huge web of very slight changes that need to be made.

It would take up too much processing time (and shut the ladder down while it is going on) to recalculate these "on the fly" every time a new game report is added. Instead, we have a tool which I can run that completely recalculates all ratings and will fix the anomoly you discovered. It takes only about 2-3 minutes to run through the entire WARS database (for all games, not just ASL), and will be shorter once Brent breaks it down to recalculate only individual ladders. Ideally, we will set this up so that it automatically runs once every 24 hours to keep the entire ratings database "in synch".

And just to demonstrate it is capable of fixing the problem, I have just run the "recalculate" tool and your record has now been updated and all games scored corrected based on the new game you added. Take a look at your game record and you'll be able to confirm that it's taken place. :)

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
It would take up too much processing time (and shut the ladder down while it is going on) to recalculate these "on the fly" every time a new game report is added. Instead, we have a tool which I can run that completely recalculates all ratings and will fix the anomoly you discovered. It takes only about 2-3 minutes to run through the entire WARS database (for all games, not just ASL), and will be shorter once Brent breaks it down to recalculate only individual ladders. Ideally, we will set this up so that it automatically runs once every 24 hours to keep the entire ratings database "in synch".

Not having coded seriously in 5 years (promotion to management - more responsible for application design architecture & business rules) I can appreciate the domino effect of just changing one game early on in the sequence.

Luckily the tool to resynch is there and very efficient. I will continue to add older games as I get time

Thanks for the quick response :love:

Last edited:

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wow!

196 Registered Ladder participants and 811 matches reported as of this AM.

WOW! What an increase from a few short days ago.

"Build it and they will come"

All good stuff. :)

=Jim=

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
On behalf of SZO, thanks for those kind remarks, guys. But we need your help to get that word out on this. WARS is a cool resource, but it will be a whole lot more useful when it has more game reports and AARs entered into it. I still think there are a ton of players out there who have not heard about it or don't know where to find it, so please help us get the word out.

Even if you have no interest in "ladder play," bear in mind that this is only one small aspect of what WARS does. It also serves as a powerful resource for helping scenario authors and players check on balance statistics and other important information. So I would encourage all ASLers to consider using it, even if they have no interest at all in the WARS rankings.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

I think I am registered, but how do I access the scenario data base? And other players?

sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Scott

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
SGT Holst said:
I think I am registered, but how do I access the scenario data base? And other players?
You can access a particular player's history by clicking their name on the ladder.

There are links at the top of the ladder that can be used to view information on all the scenarios. It says "view scenario summary report." Note, only scenarios that have at least 1 game report will show up on this list. http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/wfhq-ld-all-players.php?searchtype=s&ladder=Advanced+Squad+Leader&SortOption=6. You can then get even more information on each scenario by clicking on the title.

da priest said:
Any way to have a check-off box for use of balance for one side or the other?
This is something we talked about a few days ago and have not made a decision on yet. This would work well for ASL, but we are not exactly sure how to implement it for other wargames. Give us a little time to explore this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.