Entering a Pillbox with CC

Darkman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here's the situation. A beserk MMC makes it into the hex with a occupied pillbox (unhurt incredibly). CCph arrives. The 2 units are in the same hex but different locations. Result of combat is the pillbox squad is CR to a half squad. CC combat continues. The unit in the pillbox cant withdraw. The berserk unit could withdraw if it wasn't beserk. Next round of CC produces no change. The berserk unit takes fire from enemy units but surives intact. 3rd round of CC the beserk unit eliminates the pillbox 1/2 squad.

So now the big quesiton. The now GO attacking unit. Does it end the CC inside the pillbox (with its protections) becuase it was in CC? Or, does the Rule Book say some place (that I couldnt' find) that the attacking unit must wait for its next Mph/AVph to enter the pillbox. So it has to survive more enemy fire exposed out of the pillbox?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Darkman said:
So here's the situation. A beserk MMC makes it into the hex with a occupied pillbox (unhurt incredibly). CCph arrives. The 2 units are in the same hex but different locations. Result of combat is the pillbox squad is CR to a half squad. CC combat continues. The unit in the pillbox cant withdraw. The berserk unit could withdraw if it wasn't beserk. Next round of CC produces no change. The berserk unit takes fire from enemy units but surives intact. 3rd round of CC the beserk unit eliminates the pillbox 1/2 squad.

So now the big quesiton. The now GO attacking unit. Does it end the CC inside the pillbox (with its protections) becuase it was in CC? Or, does the Rule Book say some place (that I couldnt' find) that the attacking unit must wait for its next Mph/AVph to enter the pillbox. So it has to survive more enemy fire exposed out of the pillbox?
I couldn't find a specific citation that says you can't, but....you have to expend MP to enter the pillbox. If you kill the occupants in CC, you are still outside the pillbox until you either move into it during a movement phase or you advance into it from an ADJACENT location (outside the pillbox or from an adjacent trench counter forming a bunker). I don't think it is specifically stated but is a consequence of a strict application of the rules and sequence of play.

Thats the way I've always seen it played, FWIW.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Jazz. I lost a scenario this way. I needed to control the pillbox and I eliminated its contents on the very last CCPh but since I was still outside the now unoccupied pillbox and I had no movement left, control of the pillbox remained with the side that last occupied it.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, if during CC the enemy failed to eliminate you (Mr. Berserk) and you then rolled a 2, eliminating your enemy, THEN you could withdraw into the now empty pillbox, I think.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
pitman said:
However, if during CC the enemy failed to eliminate you (Mr. Berserk) and you then rolled a 2, eliminating your enemy, THEN you could withdraw into the now empty pillbox, I think.
Probably true...NRBH but I would have a hard time arguing against it....but I'd try if the scenario win/loss was on the line... :wink: