Enhanced 2DLarge counter graphics for REN Version 2

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi
I have just uploaded (in the right place this time) version two of the Objects2Dlarge file I posed for “The Renaissance” last weekend.

The revised file incorporates lessens learned during my work on a forthcoming “Warfare In Italy” mod for the game which will cover Italian warfare from the closing decades of the 14th Century to end of the “Great Italian Wars” in 1559.

The mod will not be ready for some weeks as it involves modifying graphics files and probably scenarios as well. (to incorporate all the extra Italian armies covered) However I thought it would make sense to apply the changes to unit counters I have decided on, for the basic game as I when along.

First off I have decided to standardise on the 27 pixel counters since while there is a slight overlap between adjoining stacks I don’t think does not really obscure counter information and it has enabled me to do an number of thinks that would not otherwise be possible.

Most important of these is putting a symbol for units in column back on the counters. This now takes the form of a thick black vertical line outlined in white at the top of the counter. Also having the bigger counters has enabled me to make the on map objective flags a bit bigger and much clearer since a five or six pixel increase in height and width of an object makes quite a bit of difference to what it looks like in the game.

Once I have released “Warfare In Italy” I will produce a further mod for the basic game incorporating some of the other changes developed for the mod.

Enjoy, and any comments feedback etc would be greatly appreciated.
I have also posted a screenshot from the battle of Agnadello 14th May 1509 to give an idea what the mod looks like .

Ian

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi
If you go to the downloads section for HPS games and find the Musket & Pike section and then look in MISC files you will see screenshots for versions 1 and 2 of my mod.
Hope this helps

TheGrayMouser

Reaction score
Hey Hoplite, was just checking out your link re larger 2 d graphics (looks great btw) and noticed you were working on a 14th thu 16th century Italien Warefare mod? I would love to see the engine cover this period or even the Hundred years War (not a whole lot of turn based medieval games out there!)
How are things coming along? Are you intending to add 3d units as well?

Cheers

Zaraath

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which bmp file should be edited to lighten the hex outlines so they appear better against dark green ground such as in the 068.St Denis d battle?

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Which bmp file should be edited to lighten the hex outlines so they appear better against dark green ground such as in the 068.St Denis d battle?
I've worked with the bmp files a bit a few months ago, as well as have played around with some of the Mapmod stuff for PzC, and I don't think that you can.

In Mapmod (the mods over at mapmod.hist-sdc.com) the work-around Jison used was to add an outline as part of the hex image itself and then suggest users turn off the hexes. I never asked him, but I assume the reason he did this was for the same question you are asking now Zaraath.

Zaraath

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've worked with the bmp files a bit a few months ago, as well as have played around with some of the Mapmod stuff for PzC, and I don't think that you can. In Mapmod (the mods over at mapmod.hist-sdc.com) the work-around Jison used was to add an outline as part of the hex image itself and then suggest users turn off the hexes.
Wow that's a lot of editing but I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice and the URL. I don't have the game, do the Panzer Campaigns BMPs share names with M&P/Nap series? I am downloading the mods now and will examine.

[...]

Arggh, way too much work. I used some photo software (Compupic Pro) to Auto-Correct (whatever that is, the Help file is pretty vague) the color of the 4 BMPs in question, and the hexsides are now legible on the problem map.

Last edited:

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I was just meaning to explain the technicalities involved - in that you can't edit the color of the hex outlines -it is part of the programming. It is a lot of work; and I never got it to work in 2d zoom out myself.

The files are similar in all the titles, but for the most part they are not directly interchangeable. Meaning that most have different image lines on them or added on image lines. So while the images will work you mapy have to lift like a strip off of a section of a bmp file and put it in to a file you are making for another series. Also (a little outside the scope of your question) - but Civil War Battles series uses a slightly different hex shape than the other series -so it makes it a little tougher as you need to make unique hex grid files for CWB and then the rest of the series.