Enemy defensive fire questions

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,

ok I have moved onto the friendly movement phase and trying to apply enemy defensive fire as per S8.61. this states that an enemy unit fires as defensive fire against a unit that would mean that a suspect in the same location as the firer would need to check for activation.

One of the activation criteria is the movement of friendly units within LOS and with a specified net IFT DRM at different ranges, my enemy player is German so I refer to table G1.

The friendly British unit is assault moving from one building to another 2 hexes from a German squad - G1 indicates that a moving unit at 2 hex range should be fired at if the net IFT DRM is <= 2, as the unit is assault moving into a stone building it's net DRM is +3, however, the enemy squad could have done a snap shot at -2 as it crossed the hex side between the buildings.

I can't see anywhere in the rules talking about enemy units taking snap shots and under what circumstances they should take snap shots - I assume it will take the snapshot as this satisfies the G1 table rather than not taking the shot at all?

If the friendly unit was moving into a wooden building thus net IFT of +2 then would the enemy unit fire at it in the building using the +2 or should it snapshot using the -2?

Any clarifications gratefully received

regards
Simon

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Snap shots are allowed by EN units, and the modifiers (i.e. -2 DRM on the German G1 chart would allow for activation checks at 12-hex range) would therefore allow any S? that could theoretically make a snap shot to roll for activation and take the shot.

Re your last question, assuming the S?/EN activates/doesn't PANIC they (i.e. you) could choose to take the snap shot or take it in the building. Your choice.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Bear in mind that according to A8.15 FFNAM & FFMO do not apply to snap shots, so the modifier is presumably '0', not -2 but otherwise you are correct that the ENEMY would take the snap shot (as area fire) if possible rather than waiting to take the shot at +2 with full FP.