Enemy Defensive fire question

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ho I am looking for some clarification in a Defensive fire situation that arose:

1) At the start of the DFPh I rolled at the start of the DFPh on the A3a enemy IFT attacks table and then applied this to all the DFPh attacks during the phase - i think this is correct and I do not rll for each firing unit one at a time on the A3a table? I rolled a '7' which gave me the following direction for DFPh:

'fire all firepower at closest target in VPO location; at unbroken target in least TEM in normal range of the firer's inherent firepower; closest; most SW'

This worked fine until I got to the a position where I have an enemy 7-0 leader, 4-6-7 squad & MMG - this enemy stack did not panic and has a friendly 9-1 leader 7 hexes away in a VPO stone building the shot also has 3 LOS hinderances for a total of +6 and the 4-6-7 is halved as long range fire giving a FP of 7. The enemy stack also has a much more pressing threat 3 hexes away containing friendly leaders, units and sw's in a stone building but no LOS hinderances, this is not long range so has a FP of 9 and a IFT DRM of +3..

Given the direction it seems that enemy stack ignores the closer threat and forgoes the 9+(3) shot in preference to the VPO shot of 7+(6) - is this correct

Regards

Simon

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Personally, I would go with what is best for the EN unit, in this case, the 9FP +3DRM, which is also (I believe) in the spirit of the rules. But the A3a table result is the correct order, if strictly BtB (By the Book). Speaking of multi-location FG, according to 8.53 they are not allowed (only AFPh) but I will freely ignore that if the situation calls for it.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) At the start of the DFPh I rolled at the start of the DFPh on the A3a enemy IFT attacks table and then applied this to all the DFPh attacks during the phase
I think you roll on A3a per unit. 8.62 says when a GO ENEMY unit is eligible for Final Fire, make a DR on A3.

'fire all firepower at closest target in VPO location; at unbroken target in least TEM in normal range of the firer's inherent firepower; closest; most SW'
Given the direction it seems that enemy stack ignores the closer threat and forgoes the 9+(3) shot in preference to the VPO shot of 7+(6) - is this correct
I think it is. You rolled a 7 and the target in the VPO has priority over the closer target. Given the restrictions (Command) on FRIENDLY units, I play it as the rules say.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the replies:

I ended up giving the enemy unit the benefit of the doubt and gave it the 9(+3) shot it still missed and I suspect the big stack a few hexes away will blow it away in it's next fire phase.

I note the point that I should be rolling for target direction for each unit rather than just once for the whole phase, I was doing this incorrectly

Thanks again for the help and tips
Regards

Simon