End of HoB

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I heard from another player that with the release of Kohima that will be the swan song for HoB, The End etc... any truth in the rumour???

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a huge surprise as HoB has been winding itself down for some time.

That being said, I hope I'm not the first and I'm sure I won't be the last to thank Steve for hours of ASL enjoyment over the years. I bought my first copy of GSTK from Eddie Z at his apartment in Costa Mesa and I've gotten much joy out of every HoB product since.

Thanks for all of your efforts!

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Not a huge surprise as HoB has been winding itself down for some time.

That being said, I hope I'm not the first and I'm sure I won't be the last to thank Steve for hours of ASL enjoyment over the years... . I've goten much joy out of every HoB product... .

Thanks for all of your efforts!
Most Definitely!

HOB has produced some Fine ASL over the years and will be Missed

:upset::upset::upset:

Many Many Thanks for All the Great ASL

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I heard from another player that with the release of Kohima that will be the swan song for HoB, The End etc... any truth in the rumour???
Actually you can blame pitman and portal for Steve shutting down HoB, After the Creta map situation where both Portal and pitman attack HoB for publishing a glossy map, Steve was nice enough to republish the map in a matt finish. Try asking that of MMP, and all you will get are MMP fanboyz attacking you for even daring to ask for such things.

Scott

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually you can blame pitman and portal for Steve shutting down HoB, After the Creta map situation where both Portal and pitman attack HoB for publishing a glossy map, Steve was nice enough to republish the map in a matt finish. Try asking that of MMP, and all you will get are MMP fanboyz attacking you for even daring to ask for such things.

Scott
Actually I was the first on this forum to complain about the Crete map....mine was fraying at the folds. I took a picture of the problem and posted. If I was the demise of HOB I never knew I had such power.

That being said, I have enjoyed all the HOB products and have bought many.

George

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, you started the ball rolling but it was pitman and portal that really went after Steve relentlessly about the map. Of course I dont see pitman doing the same with MMP, but then again, he wants to get published by them, so hence the silence.

Scott
Actually I was the first on this forum to complain about the Crete map....mine was fraying at the folds. I took a picture of the problem and posted. If I was the demise of HOB I never knew I had such power.

That being said, I have enjoyed all the HOB products and have bought many.

George

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, you started the ball rolling but it was pitman and portal that really went after Steve relentlessly about the map. Of course I dont see pitman doing the same with MMP, but then again, he wants to get published by them, so hence the silence.

Scott
Its called free will. Pit and Port can b*, whine, and complain all they want. But when a seller of goods takes the complaints seriously as not representing the BMC of two people but as markers of a much broader class of buyers, then the seller of said goods needs to react in a manner that satiates the desires of the customer base.

That is what drives business, customer satisfaction. Everyone held HOB in high esteem at different points in its journey through TPP. Sometimes it exceeded expectations and sometimes it disappointed. HOB was and is a net very positive contribution to ASL and speculating that two people with legitimate complaints brought down a publisher is just that, rank speculation.

But if you have hear directly from HOB that Pit and Port brought them down, state it as such and not your opinion.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve,

I want to thank you and the folks who worked with you. You have put out some great stuff - and you should be proud.

Sam

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Steve,

I want to thank you and the folks who worked with you. You have put out some great stuff - and you should be proud.

Sam
Same from me too, any problems I had were always quickly dealt with, and getting a copy of Tarawa from Steve after it was out of print, says it all !!!!

Last edited:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mr. Holst,

I never complained about the Kreta map a few years back. I just commented that I didn't think it was great that HOB released a product which didn't meet their own quality expectations (which they admitted publicly at the time).

Like Loquitor, I also was unaware I possessed such great power over TPPs. :laugh:

Cheers!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It saddens me to see HoB disappear. I bought every product of theirs that I could get my hands on.

With regards to the Kreta map, I was happy enough with the original map, but bought the replacement as insurance against coffee and cats.

The only unfinished business I have with regard to HoB is with regard to the CG table in Long March, see
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?88500-Another-LM-scenario-8-question
There never was a final answer on that matter. All other errors or ambiguities on LM were resolved.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also to be clear, it was the paper 'type/quality' of the map and not the art work 'on' the map or the ASLness of that artwork hampering play or understanding of how to play.

I note this in case some when reads this without the context of those earlier posts.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
HOB were my first TPP. I bought BRV and the SS packs from "The Gameskeeper" in Oxford. They had HOB products available to them even before I was on the internet and had ever heard of any other TPP. This must have been around '98 time.

Fond memories.