Encirclement and DCs

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See Encirclement (A7.7): "Any non-Aerial Infantry, or Vulnerable PRC of an Immobile vehicle, fired upon consecutively during the same PFPh, DFPh (not MPh), or AFPh by two or more non-Aerial units using their inherent-FP/SW/ordnance at ≤ Normal Range (1.22, 10.532) is subject to possible Encirclement."

What if you’re attacked on one side by small arms fire (powerful enough to conceivably cause a MC) and, immediately thereafter, on the opposite side, by a DC?

Would that count as Encirclement?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A thrown DC would count. I don't know about a placed DC since it was placed in the MPh.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q&A:

A7.7 & A23.3 Does a placed DC attack count for encirclement (using the hexside it was placed through as its direction)?

A. No.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A thrown DC would count. I don't know about a placed DC since it was placed in the MPh.
Why would a Thrown but not a Placed DC count? To be totally clear: I was placing the DC on the black bar of a Rowhouse, so it blows up and attacks across the hexside.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Why would a Thrown but not a Placed DC count? To be totally clear: I was placing the DC on the black bar of a Rowhouse, so it blows up and attacks across the hexside.
I think because the attacks that enact the Encirclement must follow immediately upon each other. This would not be the case for a Placed DC which is placed during the MPh and detonates during the AFPh.

Edit:
Rethinking this. Theoretically, two attack could immediately follow upon each other during the AFPh.
However, a Placed DC would attack from within the hex, so it is kind of impossible to determine from which direction the Encirclement for this attack should be coming.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nicht gerade zum Thema gehörig, aber das Zitat von Feldmarschall von Moltke klingt erstaunlich modern! Ich assoziere solche Gedanken mit der Nachkriegszeit (mit der zweiten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Nicht gerade zum Thema gehörig, aber das Zitat von Feldmarschall von Moltke klingt erstaunlich modern! Ich assoziere solche Gedanken mit der Nachkriegszeit (mit der zweiten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts).
Genaugenommen ist das Zitat zeitlos in seiner Gültigkeit.
Das ist der Grund, weshalb ich es für meine Signatur gewählt habe.

Es erfreut mich, daß das Zitat hier von jemandem zur Kenntnis genommen wurde.

Helmuth von Moltke d.Ä. war im militärischen Denken seiner Zeit voraus, etwa in der Erkennung der Wichtigkeit der Eisenbahn für Mobilisations-, Aufmarsch- und Kriegszwecke, was entscheidende Bedeutung auch für den deutsch-französischen Krieg von 1870/71 gehabt hat. Gleichwohl war er nicht so vollumfänglich genial, wie er beizeiten dargestellt wird.

Ein weiteres bemerkenswertes Mitglied der Familie zu späterer Zeit war übrigens Helmuth James von Moltke.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Genaugenommen ist das Zitat zeitlos in seiner Richtigkeit.
Das ist der Grund, weshalb ich es für meine Signatur gewählt habe.

Es erfreut mich, daß das Zitat hier von jemandem zur Kenntnis genommen wurde.

Helmuth von Moltke d.Ä. war im militärischen Denken seiner Zeit voraus, etwa in der Erkennung der Wichtigkeit der Eisenbahn für Mobilisations-, Aufmarsch- und Kriegszwecke, was entscheidende Bedeutung auch für den deutsch-französischen Krieg von 1870/71 gehabt hat. Gleichwohl war er nicht so vollumfänglich genial, wie er beizeiten dargestellt wird.

Ein weiteres bemerkenswertes Mitglied der Familie zu späterer Zeit war übrigens Helmuth James von Moltke.

von Marwitz
🤔🙄🤗

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I should translate for the non-German speaking readers.

Commissar1969 remarked upon my signature of Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke the older:

Not exactly on topic, but the citation of Field Marshall von Moltke sound surprisingly modern! I associate such thoughts with the postwar period (the second half of the 20th century).

My signature reads:

"Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."

This translates:

"Any war, even the victorious one, is a calamity for one's people, for no gain of land, no billions can make up for the loss human life and compensate the grief of the families."

Strictly speaking the citation is timless in its truth.
This is the reason why I have selected it for my signature.

I am delighted that some one here took note of this citation.

Helmuth von Moltke the older was ahead of his time in his military thinking, for example in his understanding of the importance of railroads for purposes of mobilization, deployment, and war, which had decisive impact on the German-French war of 1870/71. Yet, he was not a perfect genius in the way in which is sometimes portrayed.

By the way, another remarkable member of the family at later times was Helmuth James von Moltke.

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Commissar1969 remarked upon my signature of Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke the older:

Not exactly on topic, but the citation of Field Marshall von Moltke sound surprisingly modern! I associate such thoughts with the postwar period (the second half of the 20th century).

My signature reads:

"Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."

This translates:

"Any war, even the victorious one, is a calamity for one's people, for no gain of land, no billions can make up for the loss human life and compensate the grief of the families."

Helmuth von Moltke the older was ahead of his time in his military thinking, for example in his understanding of the importance of railroads for purposes of mobilization, deployment, and war, which had decisive impact on the German-French war of 1870/71. Yet, he was not a perfect genius in the way in which is sometimes portrayed.

By the way, another remarkable member of the family at later times was Helmuth James von Moltke.

von Marwitz
“It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.” ― Robert E. Lee

Both men were born around the same time. Lee died younger. I would bet if we dug deeper we would find it was expressed by Jomini or von Clausewitz. I know Lee was particularly well read on Napoleonic wars. I would imagine von Moltke was as well. -- jim

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE = "von Marwitz, post: 2053021, member: 23351"]

My signature reads:

"Every war, even the victorious one, is a misfortune for one's own people, because no land acquisition, no billions can replace human lives and outweigh the grief of families."

This translates:

"Any war, even the victorious one, is a calamity for one's people, for no gain of land, no billions can make up for the loss of human life and compensate the grief of the families."

By the way, another remarkable member of the family at later times was Helmuth James von Moltke .

from Marwitz
[/ QUOTE]
Is somebody or someone auto-translating your submissions? Your signature was formerly in German, now it is in English (at least as presented to this English-speaker). You are even, in the message I copied here, shown as providing a English translation of a sentence which is already in English.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.” ― Robert E. Lee

Both men were born around the same time. Lee died younger. I would bet if we dug deeper we would find it was expressed by Jomini or von Clausewitz. I know Lee was particularly well read on Napoleonic wars. I would imagine von Moltke was as well. -- jim
I’d like to read a nice a compare/contrast of Waterloo and Gettysburg. Just say’in...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I like the idea of a flame war in the original German.

I'm going back to Gettysburg in July, can't wait.
Great great grandfather fought there. His name is on the monument for the Pennsylvania soldiers. Went there several times as a kid.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
[QUOTE = "von Marwitz, post: 2053021, member: 23351"]

My signature reads:

"Every war, even the victorious one, is a misfortune for one's own people, because no land acquisition, no billions can replace human lives and outweigh the grief of families."

This translates:

"Any war, even the victorious one, is a calamity for one's people, for no gain of land, no billions can make up for the loss of human life and compensate the grief of the families."

By the way, another remarkable member of the family at later times was Helmuth James von Moltke .

from Marwitz
[/ QUOTE]
Is somebody or someone auto-translating your submissions? Your signature was formerly in German, now it is in English (at least as presented to this English-speaker). You are even, in the message I copied here, shown as providing a English translation of a sentence which is already in English.
Now that is interesting - and strange. I still see my signature in German.

If some auto-translation is at work, I am reassured by my own translation being pretty close to the one of the aggregated KI funded with billions. 🤣

von Marwitz

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems it may be a "feature" at my end as it only affected your text when I quoted it back to you, not your signature. But your translation was indeed marvelous.

Edit: It recalls for me an incident from my professional life years ago. A colleague on the east coast of the US sent a meeting invite for 1 p.m. A recipient on the west coast of the US complained about a meeting at 7 a.m. Seems Microsoft Office "translated" 1 p.m. to 10 a.m. for him (there being a three hour time difference between east and west coasts), and the recipient translated it another three hours, from 10 to 7. Oops. There endth my faith in technology.

Last edited: