Encirclement and Concealment

Kihmbar

Reaction score
Does a concealed unit lose concealment when it becomes encircled?

Here's the situation: A concealed unit has enemy units on either side of it. They fire with sufficient firepower (taking concealment into account) to encircle the unit per A7.7. However, the actual DRs do not strip concealment by forcing a NMC or PTC. Does the unit lose concealment because it is encircled?

I saw nothing in A7.7 which indicates that encirclement by itself would cause concealment loss. I saw nothing in the Index under Good Order saying that encirclement would make the unit non-Good Order (thus causing concealment loss). And I saw nothing in Cases A, B, C, or D on the Concealment Loss/Gain Table which would indicate that encirclement would cause concealment loss. [The unit is in a stone building and two hexes from each of the encircling enemy units, so Cases A, B, C, or D would apply to concealment loss.]

It seems odd to have an encircled unit be able to retain concealment, but then again I thought being CX and concealed (advance verses difficult terrain) was odd too. Is there something I'm missing?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does a concealed unit lose concealment when it becomes encircled?

Here's the situation: A concealed unit has enemy units on either side of it. They fire with sufficient firepower (taking concealment into account) to encircle the unit per A7.7. However, the actual DRs do not strip concealment by forcing a NMC or PTC. Does the unit lose concealment because it is encircled?

I saw nothing in A7.7 which indicates that encirclement by itself would cause concealment loss. I saw nothing in the Index under Good Order saying that encirclement would make the unit non-Good Order (thus causing concealment loss). And I saw nothing in Cases A, B, C, or D on the Concealment Loss/Gain Table which would indicate that encirclement would cause concealment loss. [The unit is in a stone building and two hexes from each of the encircling enemy units, so Cases A, B, C, or D would apply to concealment loss.]

It seems odd to have an encircled unit be able to retain concealment, but then again I thought being CX and concealed (advance verses difficult terrain) was odd too. Is there something I'm missing?
You are not missing anything. A concealed unit may also become encircled by entering an already-encircled Location. A unit can also be CX and concealed if it Double-Times [A4.5] out of LOS of all enemy units (and in other ways). If the enemy is close enough that they can hear your knees knocking or you breathing hard, what you have there is a Melee.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm thinking advance versus difficult terrain into an already encircled location. As long as you are entering non-open ground, you could achieve all three at once.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm thinking advance versus difficult terrain into an already encircled location. As long as you are entering non-open ground, you could achieve all three at once.
It could be Open Ground if you carry enough stuff and there aren't any Good Order enemy units around.

JR

Kihmbar

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for a quick response. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss anything in the ASL Rulebook or any Q&A or Errata (which I am prone to doing).