Encircled and No Quarter

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't seem to reconcile the rules on how to handle encircled units and no quarter. We have a situation where many enemy units are upper level encircled, broken and adjacent to the bad guys. One hex has nowhere to run in the building without remaining adjacent to the enemy so he must surrender. If no quarter is declared what happens to the other encircled units? Using the higher numbered rule theory it seems that everyone else, even though encircled, will be able to rout. Do I have that correct?

Mike

Relevant rules:

A20.21 ...If the broken unit is also Disrupted, Encircled, or surrendering due to a Heat of Battle DR (15.5), it will instead rout to that enemy unit as its prisoner even if it had a legal rout path not requiring Interdiction or Low Crawl.

A20.3 NO QUARTER: The captor may opt to reject a RtPh/Disrupted surrendering unit/stack at the instant of its capture and eliminate it instead, but if he does so all other enemy units will subsequently always use Low Crawl or risk Interdiction to avoid surrendering—even if Disrupted. When one side invokes No Quarter by rejecting a RtPh surrender (or by Massacre), the other side's ability to accept such a surrender is unaffected. A rejected surrendering unit does not count toward the Battlefield Integrity Casualty Tally

buser333

Reaction score
I can't seem to reconcile the rules on how to handle encircled units and no quarter. We have a situation where many enemy units are upper level encircled, broken and adjacent to the bad guys. One hex has nowhere to run in the building without remaining adjacent to the enemy so he must surrender. If no quarter is declared what happens to the other encircled units? Using the higher numbered rule theory it seems that everyone else, even though encircled, will be able to rout. Do I have that correct?

Mike

Relevant rules:

A20.21 ...If the broken unit is also Disrupted, Encircled, or surrendering due to a Heat of Battle DR (15.5), it will instead rout to that enemy unit as its prisoner even if it had a legal rout path not requiring Interdiction or Low Crawl.

A20.3 NO QUARTER: The captor may opt to reject a RtPh/Disrupted surrendering unit/stack at the instant of its capture and eliminate it instead, but if he does so all other enemy units will subsequently always use Low Crawl or risk Interdiction to avoid surrendering—even if Disrupted. When one side invokes No Quarter by rejecting a RtPh surrender (or by Massacre), the other side's ability to accept such a surrender is unaffected. A rejected surrendering unit does not count toward the Battlefield Integrity Casualty Tally
The unit that cannot rout dies for FTR.

Any other units, even though encircled, would be able to rout (or not rout) normally.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Buser. Well the order that the opponent decides to rout may also affect who dies.

Mike