Embankment Railroads - inherent terrain?

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
True, they are not marked as such on the Chaper B Terrain chart, however the rule (B32.12) says:
"EmRR hexes are treated as Hillock (F6.) hexes for LOS, TEM, and COT purposes ..." and Hillock hexes are Inherent Terrain
Sure but it says nothing about being inherent terrain.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Being Inherent Terrain is a part of LOS
Sure but being inherent affects a lot of other things too. It's an attribute of the hex in and of itself and it's not specifically stated that EmRR is inherent terrain and it's not noted as such on the terrain chart.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure but being inherent affects a lot of other things too. It's an attribute of the hex in and of itself and it's not specifically stated that EmRR is inherent terrain and it's not noted as such on the terrain chart.
Probably could be clearer and perhaps a candidate for an errata.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Other things such as? NRBH.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Probably could be clearer and perhaps a candidate for an errata.
What's not clear about the little black squares next to the various inherent terrain features on the terrain chart ?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's not clear about the little black squares next to the various inherent terrain features on the terrain chart ?
Ah, perhaps I have an outdated chart, mine do not have a black box in the LOS OBSTACLE/HINDRANCE column of the B. TERRAIN CHART. I guess yours does but I may have missed that errata. So sorry!

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ah, perhaps I have an outdated chart, mine do not have a black box in the LOS OBSTACLE/HINDRANCE column of the B. TERRAIN CHART. I guess yours does but I may have missed that errata. So sorry!
I can't be certain as my memory isn't that good but I think those squares have been on that chart since V1.0

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I can't be certain as my memory isn't that good but I think those squares have been on that chart since V1.0
The black squares are indeed in the v1.0 terrain charts, but the lines for the EmRR are certainly not - there was no such terrain at the time.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The black squares are indeed in the v1.0 terrain charts, but the lines for the EmRR are certainly not - there was no such terrain at the time.
I was obviously talking about the black boxes for EmRR, ElRR, SuRR, missing on my chart but glad to see that at least this has already been rectified by an errata as per Magpie and no further clarrification or errata would be required.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I was obviously talking about the black boxes for EmRR, ElRR, SuRR, missing on my chart but glad to see that at least this has already been rectified by an errata as per Magpie and no further clarrification or errata would be required.
Obviously, when I read your post it wasn't obvious that you were talking about that specific instance, I apologise for the confusion

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Festung Budapest says, "An EmRR hex is a type of Inherent Terrain (B.6)." The Festung Budapest Terrain Summary chart has a black square next to the cogway railroad entry. I don't think this is intended as a modification of the standard rules, but rather is thought of as a restatement of the rules. I also believe the Chapter B chart is missing a black square for the EmRR. Just my guess though.

JR

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
RailRoad ain’t marked with a black square as inherent terrain on my MMP chart nor on my Rat Chart either.
I'll add to that and point out that sunken/GL and Elevated Railroads aren't inherent either.
It seems odd that the rules for elevated roads, which apply to elevated railroads, specifically talk about the artwork being included in the LOS blocking and if we take an Embankment railroad as inherent it will be the only railroad to be considered so

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Festung Budapest says, "An EmRR hex is a type of Inherent Terrain (B.6)." The Festung Budapest Terrain Summary chart has a black square next to the cogway railroad entry. I don't think this is intended as a modification of the standard rules, but rather is thought of as a restatement of the rules. I also believe the Chapter B chart is missing a black square for the EmRR. Just my guess though.

JR

I'd go the opposite and say they are 100% for FB only. The old Red Barricades rules are different again, they are basically walls

Edit: The FB rules are actually for "Cog Railway"

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

JR
Agree, it wouldn't be the first error on the terrain chart.

As for FB, those rules were pretty much duplicated from the Hillock rules so that Chapter F wasn't a requirement and there were no modifications intended.

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
It's gratifying to have insights like this into design intentions

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It's a fair stretch to over turn an in print rule on the basis of a generalised reference and a specific modification of the base rules to represent a different feature.

All the evidence says it isn't inherent terrain.