Email from Scott today.

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just thought I'd show some snippets from an email i got from Scott today..he is talking about something he has spent the last couple of months on..so it's only a tiny part of the work\changes that have been done for this upcoming patch.

"I've spent the time since you last heard from me principally reworking the targeting and airstrike AI routines. Yeah, what started with trying to figure out why it was only firing 4 rounds led to the realization that ... well.. that it needed to be seriously reworked. Along the way the changes also improved the general targeting AI, and give better info the the players when targeting by hand, so I guess it was worth it. I realize that it's seems hard to believe that it took as long as it did to make these changes... I'm still kinda in disbelief myself, but it's really hard to try to forecast all that stuff in advance and then set the parameters. Though I suppose that maybe it helps to rememeber that all the changes also needed to be capable of handing the modern stuff (since the same AI is used to POA), so it had to still be capable of assigning and forecasting FAC's, painting units, marking units, guidance stuff, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking into one c++ crash that Joe reported (got a few others of those/domain errors while I was working on the AI and squished them). After that I'll check into the city LOS thing, and passengers not bailing. I've also seen some weird things going on with the turn advance.. so I may have to look into that too.

Becasue of the sweeping changes in this version, I'm thinking that it's going to be best to put it out only to the testers first. Then after a week or so, we'll see what comes up and think about a more general release (but still probably as a beta)."

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for posting.

I'm still hoping The Tactical Studies Series can become my one stop sim/game with the ability to model any post 1939 conflict with all the detail anyone could hope for. I know it's been a long haul for everyone, but I'm still (a little) optimistic TSS will fulfill its promise.

void

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Maybe the 1939 scenario from Tigers Unleashed with three airplanes will finally become playable.

Mike Acid

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Just thought I'd show some snippets from an email i got from Scott today..he is talking about something he has spent the last couple of months on..so it's only a tiny part of the work\changes that have been done for this upcoming patch.

"I've spent the time since you last heard from me principally reworking the targeting and airstrike AI routines. Yeah, what started with trying to figure out why it was only firing 4 rounds led to the realization that ... well.. that it needed to be seriously reworked. Along the way the changes also improved the general targeting AI, and give better info the the players when targeting by hand, so I guess it was worth it. I realize that it's seems hard to believe that it took as long as it did to make these changes... I'm still kinda in disbelief myself, but it's really hard to try to forecast all that stuff in advance and then set the parameters. Though I suppose that maybe it helps to rememeber that all the changes also needed to be capable of handing the modern stuff (since the same AI is used to POA), so it had to still be capable of assigning and forecasting FAC's, painting units, marking units, guidance stuff, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking into one c++ crash that Joe reported (got a few others of those/domain errors while I was working on the AI and squished them). After that I'll check into the city LOS thing, and passengers not bailing. I've also seen some weird things going on with the turn advance.. so I may have to look into that too.

Becasue of the sweeping changes in this version, I'm thinking that it's going to be best to put it out only to the testers first. Then after a week or so, we'll see what comes up and think about a more general release (but still probably as a beta)."
Have Scott released the beta to you and the testers yet? If yes, how is it?

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So is POA2 playable now...with normal results. Or did all the work on TU cock it all up too. I was thinking about going back in and tinering, but don't want to waste my time. I might have an older version around somewhere I can use.

Or maybe the better question is if this game is going anywhere.