Elevation height

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m sure this has been discussed but what are the elevations on a hill? I know it a concept and not a hard and fast rules. What are the general ideas for height?

Thanks

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m sure this has been discussed but what are the elevations on a hill? I know it a concept and not a hard and fast rules. What are the general ideas for height?

Thanks
Well, based upon the LOS rules, 1 level of hill is equal to the height of the average European woods.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, based upon the LOS rules, 1 level of hill is equal to the height of the average European woods.
And the height of a single story house.

And these two answers perfectly reveal what seems to be the correct answer IMHO:

The height of hills and their levels in ASL is really an abstraction only.

It works for play, it works for imagination. It won't work if you want to put specific heights and numbers to it. Same thing with the "2-Minute" ASL game-turn.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The issue is I don’t have a height scale on the hand drawn map from 1944 but I have huts

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Level 1 about 25 feet above ground.
Level 2 about 50 and so on.
A level 2 building is quite a bit more substantial than a 2 up 2 down.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The issue is I don’t have a height scale on the hand drawn map from 1944 but I have huts
Hm, if that hand drawn map allows for the exact identification of the specific place, then modern maps might provide heights. I am thinking google earth or some such.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL is a game of SWAG anyway as it's hard to actually fit the exact terrain into a 40m hex precisely and heights are relative as well. A good topo map of the area should give you a good approximation of relative heights and one can SWAG it after that. To the best of my knowledge and experience I would doubt if much flat earth as our ASL boards present exist either.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
ASL is a game of SWAG anyway as it's hard to actually fit the exact terrain into a 40m hex precisely and heights are relative as well. A good topo map of the area should give you a good approximation of relative heights and one can SWAG it after that. To the best of my knowledge and experience I would doubt if much flat earth as our ASL boards present exist either.
Exactly. It's a game that represents the real world through abstractions so you can approximate and that's good enough.

Best of luck with your project.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The battle is Sangshak India. I have descriptions of the area but not many measurements
If your map is handdrawn, it will most likely be only a rough map to begin with.

Sometimes, aerial reconaissance photographs of WW2 are available for military important areas. This is the case for most of Germany for example.

For small settlements in the far east jungle, this might be less likely, but it could be a starting point for research.

Assuming, such photo footage exists, then you could - maybe - compare the layout of huts on your plan with that of the aerial photograph.

If you find a possible match, then you might be able to pinpoint the exact geographic location in the next step.

After that, you could draw on modern maps / google earth for more specific terrain info.

Probably, this will not work - but at least, it is a plan to approach the issue.

In case you can only roughly pinpoint the location, then modern maps / google earth will likely still be able to give you a general impression of the terrain. For anything but a detailed HASL, this should be sufficient, as any geo-board is abstracted landscape in the first place. So for geo-board designs, it is more important to get 'the feeling' right rather than finding a very similar map layout, which would likely not be available anyway.

von Marwitz