Elementary Kreta question

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

On the Maleme map is the river bed suppossed to be at level -1?

My opponent & I don't see anywhere where it states that it is lower and this being ASL we're not sure if we should assume it. In spite of the fact that you can gain crest status on the river bank we can see how the bank could be only a foot or high...just enough to give some cover if right next to it. Anyway we are confused about it? Do the designers frequent this website?

Anyone know? How are others playing it?

TIA,
John

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
John, by jove, I think you are are right. I say think because I could'nt find it either after a cursory search.I don't recall that we caught that the riverbed is not mentioned as level -1. However, we did it play it that way, particularly because of the ability to take crest status (as Gully), but also because of the historical references mentioning the riverbed being the only place the Germans glider landed where they did not get shot to pieces. I believe the designer or some other SME will be by for a clarification.

Jeff

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be -1 level.

Footnote #4 states that the bridge was a "key objective of the glider assault force. It was vital to capture the bridge intact in order to enhance the flow of fallschirmjagers landing west of the river in their attack eastwards against the airfield and Hill 107". This would hardly be the case if the river bed was only one or two feet lower than the surrounding terrain.

But I'm sure the designer(s) will confirm that I'm right :D - or wrong.:(

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SamB is right.

Yes, it is at level -1. That could and should have been stated more clearly in OM2. Blame it on me (being too close to the subject matter I over looked this, as did the rest of the co-designers).

Andy H.

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've just been playing this with my son and were not sure about it. Thanks for the clarification.
I do have a follow-up question that I wasn't able to find the answer to.
If my ILH for a glider is in the riverbed, can the Bofers attack in AA mode? We played it that they could, since they are coming down.

Thanks

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that is correct. While still in their blue counter state (in flight) they haven't landed into the river bed itself. I hope you and your son have a fine time together playing Kreta and ASL in general.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Another elementary Kreta question...the Note preceding the OM Rules states: "Unless stated otherwise by HSR, the following rules apply in both historical scenarios Operation Merkur (OM) and in geomorphic scenarios Assault on Crete (AoC)."

OM.1 states, "EC are always Clear, Dry and with no Wind at start. However for purposes of Gliders (E8.0), Air Drop (E9.1) and Air Landing (OM14.3) the wind is considered to be from the North (etc....). Wind Change DR are NA [EXC: etc......]."

OM1- "Morning's Peril" has its first HSR as "1. All OM rules are in effect." Fair enough, good so far. Now under Scenario Variables, for EC/Wind, it says "Dry with Mild Breeze from the north at start." Are SVs a form of HSR? Is the Wind only listed, and in effect, for the purpose of Glider ILHs? Is the Mild Breeze in effect for all pertinent things for the scenario duration?

Just wondering if Smoke from the German 81mm mortar will be able to drift, very advantageous if it can. One has the introductory Note, then OM.1, then HSRs, then SVs, and I cannot determine which trumps the other!

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Saying "All OM rules are in effect" I would just read as a reminder/arse covering concerning the application of the OM rules. I have scanned my scenarios and having that reminder means I have to dig out the OM rules, which I also scanned, if I found a Kreta scenario by other than my scenario directory tree, eg searching by name or date, rather than by company/package.

I would read the situation as the OM rules being effectively part of the rulebook for all such scenarios. So any subsequent HSR/SV overrides the OM rules details. Note that except for Gusts the Wind Change DR is NA so "Mild Breeze from the North" will apply unchanged for the whole of the scenario. So Smoke would drift.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another elementary Kreta question...the Note preceding the OM Rules states: "Unless stated otherwise by HSR, the following rules apply in both historical scenarios Operation Merkur (OM) and in geomorphic scenarios Assault on Crete (AoC)."

OM.1 states, "EC are always Clear, Dry and with no Wind at start. However for purposes of Gliders (E8.0), Air Drop (E9.1) and Air Landing (OM14.3) the wind is considered to be from the North (etc....). Wind Change DR are NA [EXC: etc......]."

OM1- "Morning's Peril" has its first HSR as "1. All OM rules are in effect." Fair enough, good so far. Now under Scenario Variables, for EC/Wind, it says "Dry with Mild Breeze from the north at start." Are SVs a form of HSR? Is the Wind only listed, and in effect, for the purpose of Glider ILHs? Is the Mild Breeze in effect for all pertinent things for the scenario duration?

Just wondering if Smoke from the German 81mm mortar will be able to drift, very advantageous if it can. One has the introductory Note, then OM.1, then HSRs, then SVs, and I cannot determine which trumps the other!

Thanks for any help!
Chris,

The SV trumps.

Andy